Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Ketuh Records (Portugal/Austria)

Cat. #: KTHCD011

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 17 October 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’46” Gappeq – Tower Of Babel

02. 07’44” Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things

03. 07’10” Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)

04. 07’28” Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)

05. 07’17” Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2

06. 06’36” Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun

07. 07’56” Xatrik – Waki Tabacci

08. 07’04” Slug – Break Out

09. 06’49” Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)

10. 08’55” Tryambaka & D_Maniacs – La Cosa Nostra

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/c75er (all tracks!)

Review:

Spiritually elevated psytrance – allegedly!

So, what is numinous all about? It’s a word first coined by a German theologian, Rudolf Otto in his work The Idea of the Holy. It describes that sense of awe-inspiring wonder, which one might feel in certain places or situations where one senses the presence of God or spiritual beings - the sense of 'other-ness' about the situation… Indeed a pompous title for the newest Ketuh compilation – a label on the rise with a steady increase in quality… The last compilation Hyperspatial Chrysalis was really awesome, so that’s gonna be hard to top… Let’s try though!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Gappeq – Tower Of Babel

This is the fifth Ketuh compilation to open with a track by Czech producer Jiri Tomasek – and as usual we’re exposed to a highly experimental track… Just check out the gritty intro – and the hard-hitting, metallic, punchy bassline + the flaring acid-lines… Also the breakdown is farrrrking brilliant – would mix in well with most Parvati-choons! Pure underground hypertrance! Great stuff – very trippy!

#02: Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things

Aussie producer Luke Danielewski is also becoming a Ketuh regular – with his VERY dark, deep, technoid style… I’ve had some problems with this particular style in the past – but it seems he’s lightened up just a little bit… Don’t get me wrong, this is still VERY dark, horror-trance – crossing well over into minimal techno… Reminds me of Kemic-Al, oCeLoT or a more psychedelic version of The Delta… Luckily Danielewski makes sure to season the whole thing with a healthy dose of psychedelia… Good, but not among the best tracks here…

#03: Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)

“We’re gonna steal a van full of drugs and make a good escape! You’re gonna die in this city...Die! Die! Die! This stinking nest of hatred – we’re gonna kill ‘em all!” Silent Horror is Jigar Shah from Pune, India… He made his debut recently on the Refused compilation released by Devils Mind Records – and as you might have guessed, this is more of the same dark, relentless Halloween-trance… Packed to the rim with haunting, razor-sharp acid-lines and hard-hitting basslines… All over the place! Acid galore! Welcome to Acid Ville! Very Phyx-like really! Would go down very well in a Goa Gil set… I’m all about acid – but damn, this is too much of a good thing… Acid overkill! Man – I never thought I’d hear myself say this, but: Turn down the acid-level already! Still a pretty decent track though…

#04: Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)

“Who’s that? Why didn't you tell me these things were immune to silver and garlic? I didn't know! Mmhmm... If you did, would you have told me? I think you know the truth when you hear it. Mmhmm...Then why didn't he kill you?” Ziv Viner from Israel is next – with the controversial track name… I’m not gonna go into politics – so let’s talk about the track…The acid is still all over the place here – but it’s more balanced out! Nice! Check out the very well-constructed peaks and changes in pace here… It’s nerve-wrecking at times! Cool track!

#05: Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2

Sweedish producer Tommy Axelsson really impressed me with his track on the Yage Records compilation Electric Embryo released earlier this year… That track had a very raw, edgy sound – with rolling sequencing-work and distorted melodies… And sure enough – this is more Swedish forest trance… Pure underground stuff riddled with acid… Just the way I like it! Sweeeeeet tweeed leeet track!

#06: Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun

As on the latests Ketuh compilation, Russian producer Yana Polishchuk is in cahoots with Ziv Viner… They really impressed on Hyperspatial Chrysalis and I’m happy to say that this track is equally good… This is a bombardment of your senses with wild, intense, multilayered, highly complex psytrance… Not as dark as some of the previous tracks, but equally deep and instantly trippy… Check out the screaming whales in the background… Awesome track!

#07: Xatrik – Waki Tabacci

South African Greg Hamber released his debut album Project A on Digital Psionics last year… A very unique, complex album that really challenged your senses… I’m afraid this track isn’t quite as good as most of the album tracks – well, that was hard to top and this is still a pretty decent tune! Tons of digital farts and electronic burps, seasoned with neurotic melodies, pumping basslines and a big splash of acid… Pretty good tune!

#08: Slug – Break Out

We stay in South Africa with this tune by Liam Gibbs… A guy who also collaborated on the above mentioned album… This is indeed very South African – would fit right in on a Timecode or Nexus Media release… Very bouncy and funky – and more melodic than some of the previous tracks… But the somehow the novelty is starting to wear off a little… And what’s up with that demented melody that pops up occasionally? This would probably be a stand-out track on another compilation, but the competition is fierce on this compilation, so here it’s just plain good…

#09: Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)

“If there’s trouble, all us freaks have is each other!” Marc Freund from Australia made his debut on the last Ketuh compilation – I was really impressed by his crazy Logic Bomb-on-PCP sound… On this track he collaborates with fellow Australian David Le Breton – and I hold him responsible for the cliché metal guitars and strange vocals here… What the fuck? It all starts out so well – with a pounding, yet melodic approach… Bizarre really, but somehow strangely appealing – until the dreaded sample and the guitars make their appearances. Yuck - this sound like something Skazi would pull of… This is definitely not my cup of chai!

#10: Tryambaka & D_Maniacs – La Cosa Nostra

“Funny how? He's a big boy, he knows what he said. What did you say? Funny how? You know - you're funny! Let me understand this cause, I don't know maybe it's me, I'm a little fucked up maybe, but I'm funny how? I mean, funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh... I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?” Brace yourself – this is the mafia morning tune! Tiago Pimentel from Portugal is another Ketuh regular – now working with someone called D_Maniacs… The first half is pretty experimental – in both a positive and negative way… I’m not too fond of the cheddar-like, fluffy melodies – but on the other hand I kinda like the lazy, yet deep rhythm section… The track changes direction half-way through though – it shifts into more sustained, acid-ridden psytrance… With raven cries and Goodfellas samples! A funny, yet not too interesting track…

Earlier I mentioned how Ketuh has managed to steadily increase the quality of their releases – and I stand by that. This is a very sweet compilation - slightly better than the awesome Hyperspatial Chrysalis. There are enough awesome tracks here – and despite maybe the last two tracks, I like everything on this compilation… The flow is pretty damn good and we’re exposed to a variety of styles within darkish psytrance… There’s something for everyone who likes it dark here!

The art work by Symmetric Design is very cool – I guess the inspiration came from one of the classic Carl Cox covers… All in all, this is a very solid compilation… Tons of great tracks here – and a few misses! Also, I didn’t get the whole spirituality theme… But oh well, you can’t win them all I guess… Devoted Ketuh fans + fans of acid-ridden, darkish psytrance should most definitely check this out! … Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!), 4, 5(!), 6(!!), 7

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Ketuh Records: http://www.ketuhrecords.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/541663

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/ab5at

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/7tudz

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/d9nvl

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/doad5

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/cz3hf

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/caqqn

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/8srzg

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/cpd87

• 2 weeks later...

Largely dissapointing, except for Pondscum and Gappeq which are outfuckingstanding trax. Massive tunes. Same as their respective efforts on In Crypto. The Xatrik, Wizack Twizack and Slug trax are not bad though.

The freak rmx has its moments, but a Silverchair fondness is necessary to really "dig" it.

Awaits better... ;)

• 5 months later...

you guys do know that trk 9 is a remix of an old Silverchair song, right? I dont know about all you, but to me it brings happy memories of my youth in the mid 90's. So I like it and you all can keep hating it and deny its enjoyment if you like...

So everything with guitars and straight basslines is Skazi? Maybe try listening to some more Russian psy, like Psyfactor, Kindzadza, DOminator, Dissociactive. And maybe try to be openminded... Not everything with a guitar is skazi like, and if you cant see that I guess you have a right to your opinions... even if they are a little prejudiced...

IMO the songs that move me most, are trx 8, 9, 10, & 1. THe otheres to me are just OK, Madness of Sun gets a little cliche-Russian for me. I do like the screaming, or whales or whatever. All in all an OK release.

oh and the artwork is very nice indeed!

...just realized i never posted the review i wrote on this...its old now...IMO Hyperspatial Chrysalis was better...but here are my thoughts anyways...

VA- 'The Numinous' (Ketuh Records, 2005)

Artist: Various

Title: The Numinous

Label: Ketuh Records (Portugal/Austria)

Catalog #: Kthcd011

Format: CD

Released: 17 October 2005

Tracks:

01. Gappeq – Tower Of Babel

02. Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things

03. Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)

04. Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)

05. Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2

06. Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun

07. Xatrik – Waki Tabacci

08. Slug – Break Out

09. Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)

10. Tryambaka & D_Maniacs – La Cosa Nostra

Review:

This is the eleventh release from Portuguese-born and Austrian based record label Ketuh Records. Compiled by Dj P_Mac, Label manager of Ketuh Records and resident Boom Festival DJ, 'The Numinous' describes anything having a spiritual or mystical quality, provoking feelings of wonder and awe. With this in mind...

1. Gappeq-'Tower of Babel'-Last Spotted: In Krypto on Ketuh Records. Unlocking the Ketuh vault once again is Gappeq, Jiri Tomasek from the Czech Republic- we can always expect his ideas to be diverse, fresh and original and this track is no exception to that. A trip-hop fairy tale prelude divulges a driving, murky melody that mingles with delayed percussion, creating a complete psychedelic ambience. As the track continues to unfold layer by layer, we are next greeted by a sliding skidding squeeky tension building synth line that leads us to an unknown abyss. The buzzing melody continues to intensify as a dark/light contrast emerges, perhaps setting precedent for what is to come on the rest of this compilation. A slight loss of momentum, as the trip-hop beat is re-introduced along with a scrambling of the track. It doesn't last long though, as at 5:33 everything falls into place and the bright darkness envelops us en masse...somber, yet uplifting, representative of the whole.

2. Pondscum-'Formal Absences Of Precious Things'- Last Spotted: Hyperspatial Chrysalis on Ketuh Recods. Here's Luke Danielewski, notoriously known for his signature dark, minimal, hypnotic psychedelic sound...Diving Deep. And keeping with the theme from previous, the atmosphere starts off peaceful and ethereal, before shifting gears to reintroduce us to what is quite possibly the nastiest chugging bassline in psytrance today. The ingredients- 1 part oozing synth, 1 part melody masked in seeping psychedelia with half a dose of fizzy bubbles...and a determined, deliberate bassline giving us the feeling that we're spiraling out of control instead of simply plodding foreward. Like quicksand, we sink deeper, as the next cycle skids around searching for direction, finding resolution in a sudsy, minor key melody that seeps to the surface for air before a stuttering kick sends us once again delving into the deep-only this time we know exactly where we're headed. The nucleus of this track is found in a rigid groove that expands outwards with 3d sounds radiating in all directions. Its perhaps a bit slow to develop, though for sure this is not a flaw as it makes it quite easy to get lost in. Purely psychedelic and cyclic in nature.

3. Silent Horror-'Heyblaah (Rmx)'-Last Spotted: Refused on Devil's Mind Records. Galloping in with a lo-fi kick and somber horn in the distance "you're gonna die in this city". An infectious breakbeat that reminds me of the older XV Kilist sound (an old favorite of mine!). Then squiggling synths in background along with a driving bassline are introduced. It's a gritty, rugged, kicking up some dust groove, a slightly different take on the dark psy sound as well as an interesting cross between the old minimal and 'trauma trance' style. All throughout we hear the shivering scream of Silent Horror- the voice you hear, but don't..almost like a ghost floating through the squeaky synths, it adds an erratic and unpredictable element into the mix. The bassline fills up the bulk of this track and although at times I found the hi hats too static and ordinary, the chaotic, scrambled synth spiraling melody, with a second more haphazard synth line progressing at about 1/4 of the time of the first floats in the background, while the first continues to dance its way around. At times the track seems a bit aimless, but good to play in a dj set when wanting to hold the floor steady,...perhaps he's overusing the "die!" samples a bit...it seems a bit aggressive and morose to me....Regardless, I like how he's got a gritty groovy dirty dark style to call his own.

4. Iron Madness-'Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)'- Last Spotted: Dirty South on Acidance Records. There's always a theatrical element to Iron Madness tracks and this one is no exception to that as there is a distinct feeling of the music being an entirely seperate entity from the background atmosphere. Let's admit it- with Iron Madness there are a few elements we've come to expect in his tracks--clanging screams, a solid bassline, the panic stricken voices of confusion, the precise, industrial hi-hat/snare pattern, the swirling zooming synth, and of course, the full power melody. So the surprise here lies not in the sounds that are used, but in the effectiveness of their usage and exactly how they are used....'nine seconds' and with that in mind, the sample is stretched out in preparation for a build leading to a searing guitar synth line, that's more rhythmic than melodic...At 4:30 we hear a filtered version of the melody that is the true gem of this track (imo). It is a shame that it is not more prominant here, as the changes in speed and excessive fx on it give too much of a cold, harsh, metallic sound. With a style as "full power" as that of Iron Madness, I think its essential to have that element of warmth in the track, and perhaps this is a bit lacking.. (see track 6 ;) ). However Iron madness continues to be the master of tension building, madness, confusion and utter chaos, the Iron Maiden of psy perhaps?(go ahead, laugh at me for saying that... :) ) as well as one of my favorite artists this year.

5. Wizack Twizack-'Sweeden Weeden 2'- Last Spotted: Behind the Trees on Stone Age Records. With his newly refined groove, deranged disco snare, and freaky forest funk, this guy has been unstoppable...He may be short of a job, but for sure is full of musical ideas. Recently, his signature sound has really started developing into something he can truly call his own. Chugging into the spotlight...A deep, subtle groove with a bubbly synth line bouncing over the top, a second higher pitched cacophonous synth line hovers above. Its the various change-ups in the bassline that really drive this track onwards holding everything together, yet fully maintaining the madness, as well as providing an air of unpredictability. The overall sound is somewhat similar to other artists of the darkpsy style, however Wizack is a bit slower with added grooviness. A spattering of panned fx and this evil carnival music skitters onwards and upwards. static chaos! And a new synth line emerges, a scattered melody- always keeping the chaos nearby. A break at 5:14 re-centers our position in space preparing for the insanity- samples and increased drive in the bassline, its very cool to see such progression in a darker psy track! Warning- final madness in the last 45 sec of this track. Wow.

6. Sungirl vs. Iron Madness-'Madness of Sun'- Last Spotted: Hyperspatial Chrysalis on Ketuh Records. There's no doubting the collaboration between these two is magical, Buddhist Pyramidi proved this to be true. Perhaps the only flaw in that track being that the Iron Madness slightly overpowered the Sungirl sound. This time things are different as we hear the Sungirl's sound right from the start- shorter oozing synth blips with loads of delay..and perhaps a slight hint of restraint, much like we heard from Yana with 'Air, Water, Sunlight', gives me the feeling that she's still holding out on us...The wolves announce the Iron Madness bassline, the main synth line introduced is a cross between the two, as the Madness adds a bit of power to the Sun. A zooming, screaming, state of confusion build up introduces a melancholy melody of despair- now *this* is what I was waiting to hear from Iron Madness! The track climaxes with a screaming full power release. The resulting melody has a distinct feminine energy which creates a nice balence to the testosterone infused Iron power, 5:13 brings a second tenebrous melody- a second shift in this track at 5:42 and the Sungirl sounds are brought back in with an almost jazzy feel to this new melody-lots of potential with this last musical idea, I was sad to see this track end. Madness of Sun part 2 pleasee!! Its a shame this is the second Iron Madness track on this compilation, it is the stronger of the two, but I'm afraid with hearing such similar sounds two tracks previous, this one might go unnoticed....

7. Xatrik-'Waki Tabacci'-Last Spotted: Psionic Tales on Digital Psionics. This is a super groover, with kooky, quirky rolling bassline, and exposes Xatrik's slightly more melodic sound, which I've been anticipating hearing for months now! The final result is the sort of track that snakes, corkscrews, writhes, and spirals its way around the dancefloor...the characteristic dusty doofy dirty South African sound is here as well, a nice complement to the wobbly wiggly synth line. There's a lot going on in this track, but Xatrik manages to pull this all off in subtle fashion, because its all about what's there that you *don't* notice. An overwhelming feeling that something's creeping towards us from all directions...stretching the melody like an elastic band and then snapping it back at 3:22 to introduce a goofy oozing synth line. The melody that unfolds at 4:54 hovers between dark and light, giving focus, direction, and progression to this track...as well as still seeking out new victims to infect...2 thumbs up to the new Xatrik sound! What lacked in so many of his tracks on 'Project A', namely any sort of melodic element, is found here for sure! I like. :)

8. Slug-'Break Out'-Last Spotted: VA-Source (Nexus Media) Thus far this year I have been waiting for *that* track to be released. Not *the* track of the year...but *that* track...Anyone who is a dj knows what I'm talking about, the unknown, unnamed track you have been waiting for that will fit almost too perfectly into your dj set, the one that you can't stop listening to until you sit down and ask yourself, 'what is wrong with me, can't I listen to something else today????' For me, this is *that* track. And what a surprise to me that it comes in the form of a super driving sunrise morning track. With a strong bassline that reminds me of Absolum, synchopated percussion is added to offset the more straightforward synth melody. The 16th note bassline changes are frequent and distinctive. A slide synth at the break and then bassline is back in along with an atmospheric backdrop and a more anthemic melody sitting towards the back of the track. The bassline intensifies the sound, pushing the more melodic synth line towards the front of this track. "partical reversal...lasrever lacitrap" and the melody is seemingly reversed for a nice effect! This track is my unlikely personal favorite on this compilation a very powerful track for the morning.

9. Psyboriginal vs. Daheen-'Freak (Rmx)'-Last Spotted: VA-Hyperspatial Chrysalis (Ketuh) Psyboriginal is Marc Freund from Sydney, Australia...let's see what this crazy freak has in store for us this time round... ;) I was lucky enough to see him play live this summer and as a result, have come to know the psybo-sound as one that depicts that indescribable moment between night and day- ethereal and uplifting to bring in the morning, yet mysterious and menacing enough to wreck nocturnal havoc. His sounds are crip and precise, and transitions between parts of the track are always fluid, constantly keeping the dancefloor on edge. We start things off with a mysterious melody that unfolds to reveal a soaring synth line, along with an underlying bassline that holds this track together...vocals sit behind the melodic synth and guitar partial melody, but don't let them scare you off because this one wrecks some major havoc on the dancefloor. The breakdowns in this track are super effective without going on for too long, and building up just the right amount of intensity to drive a crowd of crazy freaks insane. full power morning track!

10. Tryambaka & D_Maniacs-'La Cosa Nostra'-Last Spotted: VA-Feel The Force (Spectral) The epilogue, the conclusion of one journey...and the beginning of another. With the chime of a bell, the end is near in the form of an epic evil 6/8 beat characteristic of the newer Tryambaka sound we will be hearing more of in the future. The Portuguese love their melody, and I warn you its highly infectious (tho I try to resist!) The synth line combines with a piano line for an interesting contrast, the melody is complex and develops and evolves throughout. A second underlying synth line compliments the first. The bassline keeps this morning track partially in the dark. Yet another melodic change up at 4:26, keeps things moving and evolving...There are so many different melodic lines in this track, flawlessly flowing one into the next, perhaps it creates a lack of focus in the track, perhaps it is in essence part of the psychedelic nature of the track. And concluding with a sample from "Goodfellas"- some sentimental words to end this compilation with possibly... ;)

Favorites: Telling the truth when I say ALL, with slight preference to 8, 9, 1, 2, 7

Overall: Years from now, I will look back and remember this compilation as my soundtrack for the Summer of 2005. There are night tracks, there are morning tracks, there are tracks you want to get lost in your own headspace to, there are tracks you want to dance your ass off to. Perhaps I can't say exactly what it is that I like about this compilation so much, confronting something felt to be beyond rational comprehension? Perhaps. Numinous indeed.

• 8 years later...

JVvCuv1.jpg

Artist: Various

Title: The Numinous

Label: Ketuh Records

Date: October, 2005

01. Gappeq – Tower Of Babel
02. Pondscum - Formal Absences Of Precious Things
03. Silent Horror – Hayblaah (Rmx)
04. Iron Madness - Jihad Of Islam (Rmx)
05. Wizack Twizack – Sweeden Weeden 2
06. Sungirl vs. Iron Madness – Madness Of Sun
07. Xatrik – Waki Tabacci
08. Slug – Break Out
09. Psyboriginal vs. Daheen – Freak (Rmx)
10. Tryambaka & D_Maniac – La Cosa Nostra

"If there's trouble...all us freaks have...is each other."

CBdPiMq.jpg

Preach brother.

There are two fantastic tracks for me on this compilation. Pondscum's Formal Absence of Precious Things is a churning, psychedelic monster of a forest track. So bubbly and deep with layers this brute does not let up. The other one is Slug's Break Out which is also psychedelic, but more melodic with a healthy dose of groove. The rest for the most part are good without being great. The cover art (as others have mentioned) is also impressive and was the first thing that actually caught my eye. Wish this label was still around.

Beatspace

Mdk