I want to learn to play Keys

Ok heres the thing

I want to learn to play an instrument with keys like piano or keyboard or synth

I want the basic knowledge, do not going to be or can be the next Chopin of piano or Keith Emerson of synths, just want to let out the melodies in my head

I am a former drummer, I ve got basic knowledge in music theory and notation as I studied in a jazz school for sometime. (years have gone though, want to start form basic)

The problem is I live away from the city now, and cant have private lessons or go to courses...

What would be the best way, has anyone tried learning it by themselves with the aid of books or dvds or cds or software

Has anyone tried any of them

Help me out

:)

I d be happy if you can name specific ones and why they were good for you

hi..i'v been learning to play the piano/keybd on my own...with resources off the net...

i got a program with my evolution midi kbd called piano teacher...

you can open up a midi file in it... it shows you the keys to play and then waits till you play the right note before moving to the next..

it allows you to see left and right hand seperately...

i'm sure there are other programs available like this one..

you will need a midi kbd with two or more octaves...but its really irritating if you have only two octaves...there are very few pieces that use only two...

i have found that learning pieces this way(using midi)has made it much easier for me to learn...

it also shows musical notation along with showing the notes on a virtual kbd....

hi..i'v been learning to play the piano/keybd on my own...with resources off the net...

i got a program with my evolution midi kbd called piano teacher...

366732[/snapback]

Shit, that's what I meant! Not Creative... Evolution! D'oh!

Yip, the software comes free with the keyboard! Never used it tho, is it cool?

Guest The Journey Man Project

Sometimes it is nice not to have learnt this and just play melodies that sound nice to you... some of the best musicians in the world have never had a proper lesson on music... the nice thing about electronic music is it is suposed to be an experiment, not Beethoven :lol: ... but for the basics you can really just do a short piano lesson... just learn the basic scales... it'll take you like 4 lessons