Youth - Calibrate Your Intuition

kabamaru

I still cannot believe it. It has been at least 4 years since I bought a cd that turned out to be a complete disappointment. I keep reminding myself that I have only listened to the damn plastic twice so it might grow on me...

The truth is that I blindly trusted Youth's name (I've done it before with his previous two albums and they turned out to be excellent, well the first more excellent than the second but anyway). No downloading, no samples, just click and buy. And THIS is what I got. Full on. Generic full on. Well, I should have at least get a hint by the fact that this cd is published by Dragonfly and not LSD. Oh, crap...

Still, I refuse to review this cd yet. I hope it grows on me, for the sake of my 15 euros...

So, review next week.

I strongly disagree that it's only full on. My favourites are the "Invisible Moment" (135 BPM), "Listen To Light" (135 BPM) and "Only A Dream" (140 BPM), and I consider all those 3 tracks delicious, melodic morning treats with hints of both progressive and oldschool psytrance.

The quality is certainly not consistently high throughout the album, and the biggest disappointment is by far "International Intentional Tribal Community", which sounds like a blatant ripoff of Human Blues "Harmonix" - but it's by no means only full on. There are a few boring generic full on tracks (I was surprised that the collaboration with Abakus resulted in full on) of varying quality, but overall it's a very diverse album.

It's not an excellent album, but for me it's worth the money for the 3 tracks I mentioned in the beginning of my post.