Optimal headphone system made for Psy Trance

so you spent $22,000 on a headphone system?  wow

im not judging you, but one could spend that to buy all the equipment and more to make an album like Another World.

my favorite Astral album by the way!!  the one that converted me into a psy junkie.

368295[/snapback]

What equipment was used to make that album?

I have listened to that album 50+ times and it didn't sound good until I had a better audio system. I rather listen to music than create it.

• 13 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2019 at 12:39 PM, CalledByCthulhu said:

Crap.. I didnt realize the thread was about "headphone" systems..

My mistake 

Dig up a fourteen year old thread that's ridiculous on any timeline ($22K headphone setup revolving around the k1000 with an $11K power cord that supposedly reveals new layers of bass??? Big lol) by mistake and post something not so relevant into it, only to later realize your mistake. This is my favorite thing on the internet right now. 

21 hours ago, Grayling said:

Dig up a fourteen year old thread that's ridiculous on any timeline ($22K headphone setup revolving around the k1000 with an $11K power cord that supposedly reveals new layers of bass??? Big lol) by mistake and post something not so relevant into it, only to later realize your mistake. This is my favorite thing on the internet right now. 

I'm glad you're entertained

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, psytones said:

Vmoda by Dj Paris Hilton. True lol story (tried the m-100 with cord), AMAZING. But costs.. 

If we're getting into a headphone conversation, I keep coming back to Fostex TH-X00 Purpleheart for electronic music. I've got a respectable stable of expensive headphones, the Fostex can do no wrong. 

I'm pretty happy with my good ole Audeze LCD-2 + Violectric V200 setup. Practically flat from 10 to 1000 hz (and not too shabby above that) and distortion isn't an issue even at volumes most sane people would refuse to even put them on (of course I'm unsane :D).

man this thread was a fun ride :D

im a bit of an audiofool myself although i keep telling myself im not and that im smart and that eveyrthing i believe is true ^_^

anyway i definitely like my SRH940 for goatrance. the bass is super punchy and very subby. but eons away from overly abundent. in fact bass heads seem to think this is a bass-shy headphone which i find incredibly strange. its just right. however Filterias music seem to sound a bit bass shy on them ;)

not a diss btw :O

treble is clear as heck and you hear everything. there is however a bit of a "sound" to them that makes them sound a bit "niche".

the k712 from akg is a different story; they have a muddy midbass bump - that is annoying asf but can be EQ corrected quite a bit. and the bass detail on these is the best ive heard on anything really. can hear pitch on these in the sub region like no other. treble is nice and detailed and very natural; but do have a slight bump that again can be eq corrected. Sonarworks has a great k712 profile if you use it at 40% mix. the worst part about the k712 is that they require a fusion reactor that cost as much as the can itself.

the sennheiser ie8 has an amazing sound for an IEM - it sounds almost like a normal headphone. and a good normal headphone at that. very relaxed sound, wide soundstage, clear and detailed, but slight mud to the midbass same as k712. didnt try eq them yet. the worst part about the ie8 is that they are BOOOOOMY. but they have a bass control that at the lowest possible setting make them sound good enough in the bass range to be acceptable. they are also the most comfortable in ear headphone ive had.

the dac im using is either the UR22 or the dragonfly red.

yep its been a good year for me! so much candy ive been able to find for cheap.

• 2 weeks later...

K712 are junk and they sound very mediocre. The Fostex are around that price and sound much better. Jump up in price some and I'd agree Trance there that the LCD-2 are great. I've got LCD-2C, and aside from weight they're super. Never heard Shure, but yes have heard that they're weak in the low end. 

On 10/18/2019 at 9:16 PM, Grayling said:

You basically said the same yourself, the frequency response on them is whack. 

Easy to correct, and with proper amping they have excellent full body sound and detail last you for days. 

I prefer it way more over their sennheiser and beyer cousins. (HD650 and DT990) 

I don't really care too much about frequency response myself, it's more the depth and impact aswell as detail I'm interested in, and these happen to have that in abundance when u supply enough juice. 

With improper amping I find they sound shrill and lifeless. 

And with 64 ohm and 93db/spl they both need a very low output impedance aswell as q. uite some milliwatts. 

Reason I take offense in you calling them garbage I guess is slightly childish.  I just know them to not be garbage that's all, and I pride myself on having decent ears. Also there is this huge discrepancy about amping that I really don't want to get into a discussion about :)

Ofc they don't have anything on the audeze for listening pleasure but I only ever heard the lcd-x. 

Surely I pick the audeze in that case but for mastering/referencing even WITH the frequency balance being out of whack the detail takes it home for me and the near - speaker experience. 

Ah, the junk part is about the build quality. They just feel like Chinese plastic junk to me. I don't think they're made in Austria like the older models and the high end models, and the parts they use seemed flimsy to me. Mine creaked like crazy too. I just wasn't a fan. Also not a fan of Beyers with their grainy, rough treble. If I were to put an old school mid fi headphone around the same price above the 712, it'd be the HD600. But I think Fostex crushes all of them with the 50mm biodynamic driver... very detailed, balanced sounding (if you like bass slam), respond nicely to eq. Build quality and comfort are tops. They aren't picky about amps, work well with about anything. Anyway, I'll stop singing their praises, to each their own. Didn't mean to offend. 

ive only ever heard one pair of fostex. ugly as hell, almost uncomortable feeling like those worker radio/noise cancelling things. (thats a bit of an overstatement perhaps they were quite more comfortable than that)

but the sound was indeed excellent so i cant say much more about fostex than that. although im very familiar overall with their high regard. and i would love to try out other pairs. :)

i also dislike the beyers , with a passion. same with Audio technica. I cannot understand how people enjoy that kind of piercing grainy treble. and booooooooomy bass overshadowing everything else.

the k712 i have are made in Slovakia iirc. they were never made in china; thats the k702/701. i never did hear the Hd600 but i have a strong feeling i would like that much more over hd650.

:)