Things that ruined Psy Trance for you

I like the length...intros, outros, buildups and breakdowns. In short, music made with some thought. There is no way you can fit all that in 4 mins...its not goa then. And catchy killer goa, god forbid, we aren't aiming for the Top 40. Tracks like Maia are a full 10 minutes long and they aren't boring in the least.

I'm not saying I dislike long tracks.

However, most goatrance isn't intelligently composed. Maia is an exception in that regard.

Most of them are full of bland repetition and are long just for the sake of being long.

And how does it require more thought to stick to an 8-minute formula than a 3-minute formula? It's not like psytrance tracks often have fleshed out ideas and take you somewhere interesting.

(all IMO, of course *guard up*)

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not saying I dislike long tracks.

However, most goatrance isn't intelligently composed. Maia is an exception in that regard.

Most of them are full of bland repetition and are long just for the sake of being long.

And how does it require more thought to stick to an 8-minute formula than a 3-minute formula? It's not like psytrance tracks often have fleshed out ideas and take you somewhere interesting.

(all IMO, of course *guard up*)

It's true that sometimes long tracks can sound repetitive, but i think it's done on purpose in order to create a mood/atmosphere and not by lack of originality (though that might be true in many cases).

You know how sometimes it seems to sound the same for 10+ min (just 1 melody), but you're getting totally lost in the music and those 10+ min felt really shorter.

I also find it hard to really get into a 4-5 mins track, and always regret that they aren't build up properly with more time spent on the atmosphere, on the structure, on playing with the melody(ies), etc.

So while i agree long tracks made for the sake of being long can be boring, i think good short tracks could have been amazing if they were longer (without losing in quality/creativy of course, thats where the problem lies in).

- Too many people who don't care about the music

- Too many people whining about things that "ruined" psytrance

They do care they just don't get it. Especially causal Female got problems with psy and people who don't do drugs  are also not much into the heights and complexity of this field (plebs in general...)

As for second: The semiotic of the language and structure of the music have almost nothing in common. That's why general section resembles graveyard.

I like the track length. If you have no patience, then go listen to pop music! I appreciate depth and subtle changes in the music, which can't be done in 4 minutes. Also I'm not a fan of the easy solution: there are lots of tracks where you must endure 5 minutes of ugly build up before you can fully appreciate the 5 minutes of climax that follows afterwards, and I like it this way and fully accept it. Maia is one of those tracks actually: the climax starts around 5 minutes and goes till the end of the track. :)

Only crappy music is boringly repetitive. And yes there is such thing as crappy goa trance, and no I don't love the genre indiscriminately, only the good releases.

I've listened to a lot of trance and ambient and techno music and they are pretty much all inferior to my favorite goa trance albums. Goa trance has not been ruined for me, at least not yet. Most psytrance is already ruined by lacking creativity and being too hard and sterile. Psychill of the 2000s and goa trance of the 1990s are my favorites and they peacefully co-exist.

I really despise pop music. Artists release full albums, but only 1 or 2 tracks becomes a hit and they get played over and over and over again while the rest of the album is ignored. Even though these hits might have really intriguing climaxes or melodies, they are cheap highs and I always feel dirty listening to them. It's funny and revealing how there is so little depth to pop tracks and yet people still manage to listen to them on loop for hours on end without getting bored.

Classical music is something I haven't explored enough of yet, other than hearing it lots when I was a kid, so I can't comment on it.

I like the track length. If you have no patience, then go listen to pop music! I appreciate depth and subtle changes in the music, which can't be done in 4 minutes. Also I'm not a fan of the easy solution: there are lots of tracks where you must endure 5 minutes of ugly build up before you can fully appreciate the 5 minutes of climax that follows afterwards, and I like it this way and fully accept it. Maia is one of those tracks actually: the climax starts around 5 minutes and goes till the end of the track. :)

Only crappy music is boringly repetitive. And yes there is such thing as crappy goa trance, and no I don't love the genre indiscriminately, only the good releases.

Why are you insulting my patience? It is not relevant.

Yes, only crappy music is boringly repetitive. This boring repetition is, to me, one of the key restraining factors in the psytrance genre.

I admit that limitations may spawn creativity, but the limitations must adhere to an exciting and fresh formula. Eternal build-ups gets a little old.