Things that ruined Psy Trance for you

For me the production generally became too crisp and plastic. Too much focus on great production and loudness and not enough on interesting, human music with depth and character. Also going to a big outdoor for the first and last time and seeing how the community was not nearly as enlightened as I'd thought. Largely just a bunch of pretentious, selfish people who wanted to put junk in their systems and call it exploration. Which says things about the music itself. Huge turn-off.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lack of consistency

Not from album to album but within tracks. What i mean by this is one can see great ideas come through initially in the first 2 minutes of a track and then there is period of when nothing happens and the track basically rides on the euphoria created in the first two minutes. im talking about basic psytrance here. i don't understand why artists have to come three steps down in the middle instead of upping the ante? i haven't heard a single track where everything is constantly evolving till the end ; this could be dependent to a certain extent on one's threshold level of expectancy; if you have a low expectancy threshold then chances of disappointment are higher and vice versa. i am the former so and hard to please so maybe that could be a problem.

nothing

I still have like 5000 new songs to listen and good shit is coming every day.

But Media and culture around it and "too many wanna be artists" who PUSH the real artists out of businees.

My assumption is that biggest dirt is somewhere around the biggest party organizers and networks behind it with connection to main stream radios.

Good music is not sufficient to succeed, you need to be a Dick to anyone who disagree!

e:As for definition of psytrance: no full on and no new goa, first is without melodies and second has it too much and disoriented but more dark-electro-minimal-tech style + all good ambient

I think Ultimae Records ruined psytrance for me (because I'm addicted to anything Ultimae puts out basically). That and some other music kinda put me off psytrance for a while (I'll still listen to it once in awhile but not as much as I used to).

I guess what ruined it for me is that I found better (and much, much more psychedelic) music. Almost all psytrance started to sound boring. There are like under 20 psy/goa artist albums that are worth listening. The rest seems crap. On a normal week I listen to about 30 albums, and maybe one or two of them are trance.

Examples of albums that I still am able to enjoy:

Pleiadians - IFO

Total Eclipse - Delta Aquarids

Procs - The Lonely Land of Tada

Koxbox - The Great Unknown

Juno Reactor - Beyond The Infinite

Also I've started to hate the fact that every trance album is almost 80 minutes long. That's too much boomboom for me. Shorter tracks with the same amount of ideas and creativity -> less boring music.

The crap that Digital Structures used to release.

You mean stuff like:

Vibrasphere- Lime Structure

Ticon- Aero

Etnoscope- Drums From The Dawn Of Time

Son Kite - Colours

Jaïa- Fiction

Ticon- Zero Six After

Vibrasphere- Archipelago

????

if so you are nuts! B):P

1. Constant build-ups and uninteresting BP-filtered "scratch" noises, generic arpeggios. Mostly everything that might seem like it tells a story but really is just placeholder.Tracks that abandon this altogether tickle my fancy, like "Maia" or "Asterope" by Pleiadians. Other tracks actually make use of repetition to create hypnosis. TIP and Electric Universe were good at this.

2. The length stigma. Related to (1) in that there seems to be some need for the long, epic, storytelling movements. Why can't someone make a catchy goa killer that's 4 minutes and doesn't need to be longer? Most tracks contain way less than they extend. This is mostly about goa, which is not as dependant on the hypnotic effect as psytrance generally is.

3. The shallow pseudo-spiritual aspect. Space is fucking cool. I like songs about space. Or weird psychological disorders. Tracks about achieving nirvana through eastern symbolism makes no sense in a genre which is dependant on oomph and catchy melodies. And besides, the space/cyber metaphor is way better even for that, since the music is made by computers.

4. Samples in general.

I'd like a psytrance with shorter tracks, more individual variation, less arbitrary mumbo jumbo track titles and samples, and focus on actual evolution. Goatrance must have been so fresh when it came. Not much so these days. But I feel the musical format really has potential to evolve in awesome directions.

You mean stuff like:

Vibrasphere- Lime Structure

Ticon- Aero

Etnoscope- Drums From The Dawn Of Time

Son Kite - Colours

Jaïa- Fiction

Ticon- Zero Six After

Vibrasphere- Archipelago

????

if so you are nuts! B):P

Yep. that's the crap that I mean.

Yep. that's the crap that I mean.

I totally dig Ticon - Aero and Etnoscope- Drums From The Dawn Of Time (and some Vibrasphere) but the rest (newer stuff) I'm pretty indifferent about, but I surely don't find that is ruining psy-trance for me :P (maybe progressive) and it's pretty much some of the best European progressive (but that doesn't say much though). But each to their own :)

What ruined progressive for me is all the labels started producing the same (boring) music (called it more minimal or house-y? what ever)... now there is only a few labels left in the progressive scene worth following! Sad really!

(imho) :P

2. Related to (1) in that there seems to be some need for the long, epic, storytelling movements. Why can't someone make a catchy goa killer that's 4 minutes and doesn't need to be longer? Most tracks contain way less than they extend. This is mostly about goa, which is not as dependant on the hypnotic effect as psytrance generally is.

How does Goatrance not depend on the hypnotic effect compared to most psytrance (fullonish stuff i assume you mean)?. I think it depends even MORE on hypnotic melodies and sequences than most psytrance. Often nothing more than a change in cutoff is used during whole parts of a tune.

2. The length stigma. Related to (1) in that there seems to be some need for the long, epic, storytelling movements. Why can't someone make a catchy goa killer that's 4 minutes and doesn't need to be longer? Most tracks contain way less than they extend. This is mostly about goa, which is not as dependant on the hypnotic effect as psytrance generally is.

Try some Mandalavandalz :P

How does Goatrance not depend on the hypnotic effect compared to most psytrance (fullonish stuff i assume you mean)?. I think it depends even MORE on hypnotic melodies and sequences than most psytrance. Often nothing more than a change in cutoff is used during whole parts of a tune.

For me goa was always about the melodies. Sure, it can be very hypnotic is done well but when the structure is drums-noises-more noises-main theme-noises, I'd rather do without the noises parts. :P

Try some Mandalavandalz :P

That's just crazy :D

Nah, they just don't have the goa melodies. I'm beginning to feel a bit radi now, heh.

I like the length...intros, outros, buildups and breakdowns. In short, music made with some thought. There is no way you can fit all that in 4 mins...its not goa then. And catchy killer goa, god forbid, we aren't aiming for the Top 40. Tracks like Maia are a full 10 minutes long and they aren't boring in the least.