Things that ruined Psy Trance for you

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow! You people bitch a lot. I guess because here in the Midwest region of the US we just started acquiring a real outdoor scene (see www.chilluminati.org, www.goaspirit.com, www.audiognomes.com). I've been into psy since 96 and I've lived in Minnesota all of my life and unfortunately, kind of how these forums are, Minnesotans are turned off by psytrance because of the "association" with drugs.

I am frowned upon on websites like mnvibe.com when mentioning psytrance. There at one point was a little scene here in Minnesota then Jikkenteki moved off to Japan (where he is HOME!) :) So, now that the midwest region is popping up (there's a psytrance party like once a month here whether larger and promoted or a nice lil' backyard bonfire party!) Minnesota is still way- behind. And I still claim rights to the largest psy collection in MN (well, legally bought, somoene has over 100GB of MP3s which makes them cooler than me :( obviously).

So, anyways, what's up with this full on shit everyone's mentioning? I haven't left the 94-99 `era. I am stuck in it, I guess I have a few TIP.world records lying around but to be REAL honest, I've never listened to them. I know what I like, and I'm glued to it :) and to the bum who posted something about music being music...Indeed. A lot of us here like various kinds of music. I like PUNK, PSY, dub, ambient, chillout/downtempo, and some death metal =] and even HARDCORE (without the happy, of course).

We're not stuck or elitists, at least many of us. I know there are some. "I must dress like a hippie, I must act like one, I must do drugs, I must be a very part of the statement of the scene!" The scene is just like any other scene to those who feel that way. Be who you want, dress the way you want. Quit being poser fags and pretending to be neo-60's. Those days are over. If we never wake up, I'll never have that futuristic flying car I've always dreamt of. I'm sick of using horses for transportation! They're too bouncy and they don't have shocks as an option god damnit!

=]

Aaron

Guest The Journey Man Project

We're not stuck or elitists, at least many of us.  I know there are some.  "I must dress like a hippie, I must act like one, I must do drugs, I must be a very part of the statement of the scene!"  The scene is just like any other scene to those who feel that way.  Be who you want, dress the way you want.  Quit being poser fags and pretending to be neo-60's.  Those days are over.  If we never wake up, I'll never have that futuristic flying car I've always dreamt of.  I'm sick of using horses for transportation!  They're too bouncy and they don't have shocks as an option god damnit!

=]

Aaron

378241[/snapback]

Is funny... I took a mate to a big outdoor carnival last year run by www.earthcore.com.au and he was wondering where the hippies were, it is mostly rich kids pretending to be hippies :lol: persoanlly I love branded clothes, I love branded products, I like to eat at fancy resaraunts and I cannot stand outdoor parties any more coz I like to have a shower at lleast once a day and sleep in a comfy bed... I hate hippy clothes, I hate being called a hippy and I think the hippy era died a long time ago and that the whole hippie side of this scene died a long time ago with it... I also think it's and absolute crock of shit that you need to do drugs to enjoy this music, or to get it, I've done my fare share years ago and I think they made the music worse, being freaked out and spun out and paranoid and annoyed and mostyle wanting the trip to end... if you need drugs to enjoy this music you are still a very weak person, bnut if you truly use drugs to enhance the music, that's ok... nothing wrong with them, but I really really hat people who say "oh you can't get Shpongle unless you smoke dmt and then drop acid and then pop mushrooms" *ahem*

Psytrance is generally good for 2 reasons:

1. it is done by people with open minds and REAL musical skills

2. the level of quality in music is much higher than any other genre and that is why it is worth the money to buy the damn cd!

And yeah full on does kinda suck, but last night I had a mate play me some nrg, hard houe and happy hardcore and I thought GMS sounded bloody good compared to that crap!!

I suggest if you are finding this scene stagnant and are have a whinge in this page, you stop the drugs for a while you go to some non-psy gigs (whether it is rock, metal, NRG, house, disko or britney spears) and come back in 6 months, and you'll love it. I haven't gone to a psy party in 2 years now, am going to my first (indoor) one ina few weeks to see Juno Reactor live, Tsyoshi dj and Ott live and another one a week later for 5 hours of Simon P live and dj... I think I'll be more blown away by it than any regulars... and really, the drugs don;t enhance that much, they just fuck you over in the end!

I suggest if you are finding this scene stagnant and are have a whinge in this page, you stop the drugs for a while you go to some non-psy gigs (whether it is rock, metal, NRG, house, disko or britney spears) and come back in 6 months, and you'll love it.  I haven't gone to a psy party in 2 years now, am going to my first  (indoor) one ina few weeks to see Juno Reactor live, Tsyoshi dj and Ott live and another one a week later for 5 hours of Simon P live and dj... I think I'll be more blown away by it than any regulars... and really, the drugs don;t enhance that much, they just fuck you over in the end!

378252[/snapback]

well you dont take into account that psychedelic music was inspired by psychedelic substances... ;) [NOT that it is necessary or something. ;) ]

Guest The Journey Man Project

Inspired by doesn't mean you need to take psychedellic substances to understand or enjoy it tho, which is what my argument is... I mean Skazi was inspired by Metallica to put guitar in his music, but it does not make him a heavy metal artist... and I think if you really dig deep religion and spirituallity played as big, if not a bigger, role in the early parts oft his musical movement... hence the term trance or goa trance, no psychedellic involved ;)

and really, the drugs don;t enhance that much, they just fuck you over in the end!

378252[/snapback]

I being a past-expert in psychedelics *laughs at the expert remark* have to say that it really does enhance the music. I was a huge mushroom fan for many years. I cultivated 12 different strains for personal consumption at one point but I would never do them outside of a safe haven meaning my place or a friend's place. People I'd eat them with would want to run around the streets but I'd never leave. I did a lot of experimentation with a lot of fucked up results (primarily the results came with Salvia). These results were recorded and are etched in the magnetic ribbon for time to remember until the ribbon wears out. =]

Anyways, music is enhanced through the use of mushrooms. I'll vouch for this. I no longer recommend doing them as I'm a family man now and in the states it's a risky violation should you get caught and I'm not about to pass up being a daddy to my lil' one for some silly thing. It is silly! Why? After doing them about ~250 times the fun never ceases to amaze but that's what it is, just fun. You can find fun in doing other things, but who am I to criticize. I certainly recommend at least doing a psychedelic once in the privacy of your own home while listening to music but don't hold me responsible if you're by chance, manic or bipolar or some other illness or wrong state of mind, period. :)

Music should be appreciated though without the alteration of our "consciousness." It should be used to reach the altered states naturally. Shaman's didn't JUST use wild drugs to reach altered states, the beat of a drum was as if being one with the heart would allow them to reach a higher level of consciousness and achieve nirvana.

Music is my drug now! I can say like the journey man, been there done that, what's the point? The music is good and I enjoy good music. I don't need something to make me enjoy it THAT MUCH MORE, because in reality if I like it, I just fucking like it. :) I rant a lot huh? BLAH BLAH.

Basilisk, nah! To each their own. I enjoy diversity but I do wish the styles had stuck around. Unfortunately, minutes change, hours pass, days, weeks, years, generations...Everything is (here's the hippy in me left over) on the universal harmonious balance and it happens because it's just going to happen that way. It's not "God." It's not any diety, it's just the living universe acting out as if Earth was alive as Gaia. Call it "The Bio-Universe." She lives, she breathes, she breeds. Just like Gaia.

I suggest to myself (I like talking to myself) that I be quiet now. That I will do! Enjoy the music, then try a drug and enhance it, but the music is also a drug if you allow it to be! The End!

Aaron (the neverending columnist on drugs and music and .. HIPPY crap!)

i never said you NEED psychedelics to enjoy the music...

i have yet to take any psychedelics[waiting for my 1st acid trip, probably next week] and i DO enjoy music of course.

Music should be appreciated though without the alteration of our "consciousness." It should be used to reach the altered states naturally. Shaman's didn't JUST use wild drugs to reach altered states, the beat of a drum was as if being one with the heart would allow them to reach a higher level of consciousness and achieve nirvana.

what kind of shamans? and yes, you said it yourself...:D JUST is the magic word here... music was a way to get into a trance state, psychedelics was a DIFFERENT one, meditation another, fasting another... ;) no method is "better" or "worse"...

now the problem with psychedelic drugs is their widespread use and ppl ignoring their strength/potential...the majority dont know what the phuck is going on that's why so many "bad trips" etc etc...

I think that mushrooms or other psychedelics are more than "just fun". ..

This site might be a nice read: =- Click -=

and I think if you really dig deep religion and spirituallity played as big, if not a bigger, role in the early parts oft his musical movement... hence the term trance or goa trance, no psychedellic involved

spirituality had/has/can have a direct connection with psychedelics ;)

• 3 weeks later...

I wouldn't say anything specific ruined psytrance for me, but their are things that hurt my impression of psytrance, things that irritated me enough to list.

1. Disrespect.

2. Seeing once classic or great artists (AP, Pleiadians, Sandman, Talamasca, etc..) sell out to the full-on TREND and sound. To see them continue to make music that is half-assed or just decent or crap sounding. Like some great artists have done... it's better to end with a masterpiece so that everyone remembers you as great... than come out with another album ... without the charm, magic, passion, and energy as before. In short, when you don't feel it anymore, stop, or take a break. Don't just produce CRAP because your name is famous and will sell copies regardless.

Like why make full-on anyway when everyone else is doing it? You barely stand out? It's like 50 people all selling similar food at a food court with little distinction between foods. Sooner or later the taste has gotta get jaded and the customers are gonna take their business else where.

3. SINGING IN GOA & PSYTRANCE!!! ... and NO, I don't mean the cool female vocals, singing in Talpa, or those female ones in IM Supervisor's Muse Breaks RMX, etc.. I mean the CRAP in the opening track of IM the Supervisor. OMG!, and when I first heard MWNN's singing in the Earth Moving Sun album...ack! I ENCOURAGE INNOVATION, EXPERIMENTATION, etc.. Some of our greatest inventers and creaters developed from taking risks... but get a CLUE what sounds CATCHY and what doesn't.

*SINGING "USUALLY" RUINS PSYTRANCE.*

4. People who act like, say, or think they NEED drugs to enjoy this music. As if their is NO other way to enjoy psytrance.

5. A GREAT artist duo whom doesn't get their AWESOME 2000 album distributed and released *cough* Chi-A.D.'s Exit Eternity... when hundreds, no, THOUSANDS of albums come out each years that are truly forgettable in comparison.

6. Okay, the drug samples, references, and track titles have BEEN old. It's dated. Enough with the CHEESY drug samples and track names of drugs.

Can't... Mars banned it after my little protest I'm only logged on really coz somebody wants to trade my Ooze album as soo as I hear back from them I'm gooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I feel like a twit :ph34r:

Well seriously? Ummmmmm nothing ruined psytrance, it just got boring ;) POrefer chill out... Dakini records and a scented candle, a bottle of Saki nd some nice smokes... am in heaven :D Am moving to Japan in Feb and have already organised to go spend a day with the Dakini crew at the studio... :DB)

vocals in trance.....like deeply distureb by Im..

full on basselines a´la gms and friends.

bad remixes.....like the one of astrals "people can fly" terrible.

guitarr riffs in trance....ahhrrrg....

artist that stoped produce psy´n goa trance......ux,slide,darshan,green nuns.....

i cant really say that these things have ruined my psychedelic trance experience,but they sure as hell hasnt made it better.

vocals in trance.....like deeply distureb by Im..

guitarr riffs in trance....ahhrrrg....

390651[/snapback]

wow, yes ... i wanted listen to Deeply Disturbed. i press play, the track starts nice .. i'm happy .. and then the voice kicks in and i'm like "SHIT, what the f ..."

that was about the last "new track" from IM i have ever listened to.

i'm not very tolerant about electric quitars in psytrance. they can easily ruin a track for me if not careful.

Maxx said it good.

Vocals like Deeply Disturbed and Cities of The Future is a real turn-off. Same goes with electric guitars. I can't think of one single track (full on) with electric guitars that is good. Anyone beg to differ? Give me some track names please.

The Delta - Travelling at the speed of thought. It's electric guitars in that one right? I'm not sure but thats how you use a electric guitar, no stupid riffs and shit :)

Try some tracks form the Swiss group Schädelleuchten (from their album 2005) the first two tracks use electric guitar and are amazing imho. One of the guys is a guitarplayer and he does not only use "stupid" riffs but plays really cool melodies.

Same goes with electric guitars. I can't think of one single track (full on) with electric guitars that is good. Anyone beg to differ? Give me some track names please.

390743[/snapback]

S.U.N. Project - Out Of My Brain (find it on their album Paranormal, 2000, or on VA - Goa-Head Vol. 12, 2001)

i used to like this one, a pretty crazy tune. strong quitar parts combined with psytrance kicks. i should go home and listen to it again, and see if i still like it. i hope i still have the cd.

if you look at your profile, your status is Resigned.

you're not banned. write a message to mars if you wanna be back in the forum.

ok, now let's get back on topic please.

390592[/snapback]

who is that?