Things that ruined Psy Trance for you

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

what I still don't understand is that till this day on people still deny the importance of beatmixing and keep on bullshitting that with goatrance it is all about trackselection !!!

it's about both like in any other gerne ....

If the scene is dead, it's because we killed it ourselves.

362555[/snapback]

Or because too many "old timers" (not thinking about you) started to see dollar signs in their eyes when The Full On virus exploded = The dead of the vibe as it used to be and the birth of massive commercial raves, groupies. And most important. A shift in attitude. Before the parties was about the music NOT the artists behind the music = "Stars" and huge ego's. Todays parties are massive concerts of "push the button on your laptop artists" on huge stages with screaming groupies. The Dj's and the essense of trance has been reduced to pause entertainment between the "stars" appearances.

what I still don't understand is that till this day on people still deny the importance of beatmixing and keep on bullshitting that with goatrance it is all about trackselection !!!

it's about both like in any other gerne ....

362726[/snapback]

Well, if you have the mixing skills but an awful selection youre doomed. If you have great selection but awful mixing skills there is hope :)

Well, if you have the mixing skills but an awful selection youre doomed. If you have great selection but awful mixing skills there is hope :)

362935[/snapback]

WORD !

362935[/snapback]

Word +1!

362935[/snapback]

no word, sorry

trackselection is a matter of taste good mixing not therefore you should always make sure that the mixing is good otherwise you end up with bad mixing and bad trackselection (what might be a good track for u can sound like shit to someone else)....

this is exaclty what I mean it is sooo clear but still some people don't get it ....

(no offence)

no word, sorry

trackselection is a matter of taste good mixing not therefore you should always make sure that the mixing is good otherwise you end up with bad mixing and bad trackselection (what might be a good track for u can sound like shit to someone else)....

this is exaclty what I mean it is sooo clear but still some people don't get it  ....

(no offence)

363175[/snapback]

WORD x 1000

But dont worry. People wont get it in event 10 years from now and Goa Gil will still be the "baba" on his DAT's trainwrecking poor people's ears. He's the classic example of a DJ that got an awfull track selection (taste of course), no sense of what people want on the floor and the worse mixing skills on the planet earth. He is out of reach and will never get it.

I gotta agree with Ukiro about the influence question... These days many young psy-artists take their influences only from other psytrance or electronic music and this healthy... hmm let's say cross-pollination between musical ideas doesn't get to happen.

I'm not saying that this means people should just do t "fusion" tracks, but only implying that the artists with long musical background and (probably) very varied taste tend to make the most interesting music...

I'm also not saying that in "those days" everybody who started to produce was a cross-genre professional musical expert. No way, I've been going through my goa collection lately and dear gooood how much crap & totally NULL tracks there are...

Just saying that now that I've had intenet for a few years and I've listened to new albums for the first time since 1999 or so, I can't but wonder who bothers to release all these nearly identical albums these days??? I mean, I just got Psychopod's Headlines EP in the mail today and I can honestly say that's it's lightyears more advanced and 3D than 95% of the music released these days. And it's almost 10 years old...

Also there might be a point about the change of mindset some people have pointed to... I've been going to parties only since 1999 so can't say how the vibe was around when the first commercial releases started to sprout.

SUOMISOUNDI ruined it for me, along with minimal housy/techy music. I remember when I had been listening to goa for some years and then started to go to parties and at the same time this huge minimal-german-shit-wave along with TF and the rest of early Finnish trance was emerging. Ooooh my head still hurts when I think of the music in some parties I went to in those times... I still remember those early parties with fondness though, because there were so many great people and the forest parties always have such nice atmosphere.

At least today goa is acknowledged, around 1999 it seemed to be the worst enemy of the scene with nearly every "big" scene figure and oldtimer dissing it.

So there was a period of a few years I didn't enjoy Finnish parties at all, but they're getting better again, now that the spectre of sounds along with production skills is broadening here.

Also I don't much care for indoor parties because I have a real hard time with tobacco smoke and bad air so the time each year I go to parties is only a few months :( I hope I lived somewhere with proper climate :(:¨(

Or because too many "old timers" (not thinking about you) started to see dollar signs in their eyes when The Full On virus exploded = The dead of the vibe as it used to be and the birth of massive commercial raves, groupies. And most important. A shift in attitude. Before the parties was about the music NOT the artists behind the music = "Stars" and huge ego's. Todays parties are massive concerts of "push the button on your laptop artists" on huge stages with screaming groupies. The Dj's and the essense of trance has been reduced to pause entertainment between the "stars" appearances.

362730[/snapback]

I agree with you EP :)

noobs..

hah, ive been listening to psytrance since '97 , completely unaware of the silly hippiescene behind it, i love the music.. but the whole thing behind it is just pathetic... imo...

362520[/snapback]

too bad :(

362730[/snapback]

wise words ;)

The great thing about producing this kind of music is that you can make everything sound exactly like you wan't it to. Use that and the people that dance to your stuff today might still think it's great in ten years from now.  :)

363374[/snapback]

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...ic=28670&st=20#

Sorry, blatant self-promotion I know, I'll get my coat... :rolleyes:

no word, sorry

this is exaclty what I mean it is sooo clear but still some people don't get it  ....

(no offence)

363175[/snapback]

no, good mixing is a matter of technique, which as everything technical, it can be learned with practice.

about the taste, maybe youre right, but if you cant put people on the dancefloor I guess the dj isnt doing what it should, but it depends on the situation, a warm up or chill out dj shouldnt be all about dancing.

I guess the only way to measure the success of a dj, is how many people show to listen/ dance.

no, good mixing is a matter of technique, which as everything technical, it can be learned with practice.

about the taste, maybe youre right, but if you cant put people on the dancefloor I guess the dj isnt doing what it should, but it depends on the situation, a warm up or chill out dj shouldnt be all about dancing.

I guess the only way to measure the success of a dj, is how many people show to listen/ dance.

363473[/snapback]

plenty of people dance to shit music because it is either 'what is cool now' or they are ignorant...

it seems to me these days that when someone plays some 'weird psychedelic sounds...' that dont have THAT psy sound they dismiss it as being somthing else and wont dance to it for fear of the mass telling them they are uncool...

then there is the minority who are still keeping with weird sounds and not givin a fuck what the new super ego elite say.

on a side note;

mc hammer is dancin in time too System 7 - Pathway thru Time

Hallucinogen's Lone Derranger ruined Psy Trance for me. Nothing gets that close to perfection since it was released. :angry:

363359[/snapback]

there is some truth in that... That album ISN'T perfect, but it is so fbrrhgahbrlll good that every other trance album will dissapoint a bit :/

for me that is

"Hallucinogen's Lone Derranger ruined Psy Trance for me. Nothing gets that close to perfection since it was released."

awww... there's no perfect. every piece is created by imperfect human mind, like you and me. Don't over-romanticize, it's just Simon, others do it their way and might just be as good or better in what they do.