Steve Roach!

Cinos

I've heard a bit from The Magnificent Void and Blood Machine, both were pretty good... which albums do you like? And which are not worth getting?

EDIT: Structures From Silence is just hopelessly dated. I'll have to tread carefully in his vast discography...

Those three are my favorites... :)

Also very good IMO:

Empetus (old sequence based music)

Core (rhythmic/pulsating)

Life Sequence (sequence based music)

On This Planet (mixture of all sorts of stuff)

Body Electric (rhythmic)

Soma & Strata with Robert Rich are nice but it's not for everyone, that goes even more for his work with Vidna Obmana (dark and weird).

He has loads of 'desert' and 'tribal' ambient with real percussion, didgeridoo etc. like his classic Dreamtime Return and recent Mantram.... that stuff is usually too much of the same and boring for me.

If you like the beatless stuff, get the Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces 4CD box. I think the actual box is sold out though, but the two 2CD sets are still available. This is his best all-atmospheric work to date, IMHO.

If you enjoy that one, check out Darkest Before Dawn, which is a single 74 minute track made for endless repeating. I once listened to this exclusively for 2 solid weeks (looping 24/7) - it really does strange things to your head... a very rewarding and interesting experience.

Midnight Moon is another pretty much beatless release, and it's one of his darker albums. I find it very suitable for long winter nights spent alone in the dark...

From his electronic rhythmic work, I absolutely love Core and Blood Machine. The predecessor of Blood Machine, Body Electric, never got through to me properly though.

As for his tribal stuff, I find Trance Spirits to be utterly amazing - tracks 1, 6 & 7 are so totally incredible, while a few in the middle are merely deserving 4 out of 5 =) Still, excellent stuff. I can't get into the slower tribal-esque stuff like Mantram, but your milage may vary.

I think Life Sequence is pretty uneven, and it is a compilation album with stuff spanning 15 years... but I bought it only for track 2, the 17 minute long "Living The Dream" from 1991 - this is NOT dated! A truly incredible sequencer-driven track in that magic 160 bpm region. The record is worth it for this track alone.

Out of the Roach albums I have, Kiva is the one I enjoy the least.

If you like the beatless stuff, get the Mystic Chords & Sacred Spaces 4CD box. I think the actual box is sold out though, but the two 2CD sets are still available. This is his best all-atmospheric work to date, IMHO.

If you enjoy that one, check out Darkest Before Dawn, which is a single 74 minute track made for endless repeating. I once listened to this exclusively for 2 solid weeks (looping 24/7) - it really does strange things to your head... a very rewarding and interesting experience.

Midnight Moon is another pretty much beatless release, and it's one of his darker albums. I find it very suitable for long winter nights spent alone in the dark...

From his electronic rhythmic work, I absolutely love Core and Blood Machine. The predecessor of Blood Machine, Body Electric, never got through to me properly though.

As for his tribal stuff, I find Trance Spirits to be utterly amazing - tracks 1, 6 & 7 are so totally incredible, while a few in the middle are merely deserving 4 out of 5 =) Still, excellent stuff. I can't get into the slower tribal-esque stuff like Mantram, but your milage may vary.

I think Life Sequence is pretty uneven, and it is a compilation album with stuff spanning 15 years... but I bought it only for track 2, the 17 minute long "Living The Dream" from 1991 - this is NOT dated! A truly incredible sequencer-driven track in that magic 160 bpm region. The record is worth it for this track alone.

Out of the Roach albums I have, Kiva is the one I enjoy the least.

360519[/snapback]

Now this is a proper recommendation. I just ordered Blood Machine after sampling it a bit. The rest will have to wait until I get more money, this one is rather rare and out of stock everywhere so I had to order it while it lasts. :)

Autographed copy too. :D

Now this is a proper recommendation. I just ordered Blood Machine after sampling it a bit. The rest will have to wait until I get more money, this one is rather rare and out of stock everywhere so I had to order it while it lasts.  :)

Autographed copy too.  :D

360759[/snapback]

Yeah Steve handles all orders from his site personally (well his wife Linda does some too) and is a really nice guy if you have any special requests etc. About half of my Roach CDs are signed too.

Have you heard The Magnificent Void? Any opinions on it?

360806[/snapback]

I have it and I like it. However, I feel that it is sometimes too generic; When I first got into his sound in 2000, The Magnificent Void was the style that impressed me the most. But I didn't get around to buying it until earlier this year, and at that point I felt a much stronger connection to some of his other stylistic variations.

So I think it's a very nice album and quite rightfully a classic, but the chronology in which I bought some of his records messed up my chances of experiencing it with a "blank mind", so to speak - I was already spoiled by some of his later works.

My opinion about The Magnificent Void:

one of electronic music's finest hours, and the best work of pure electronic soundscape ambient ever

an incredible electronic symphony that will take you to far edges of the universe, or the complete nothingness, or whatever your imagination comes up with wink.gif

once you're used to it (I hated it at first, it takes patience and lots of listening), you will realize it isn't really dark or scary... you can just put it on to completely lose yourself in the vastness of the void... perfect for sleeping as well

a work of infinite depths, of incredible beauty, of contrast between light and darkness, harmony and disharmony, the work of a genius

ok, did I praise it enough already?

(I really have to be in the mood for it to be able to enjoy this music. Best way is in bed with headphones)

hehe that's what I wrote in another topic... I still feel the same actually

bottom line: Steve Roach' magnum opus for sure. GIVE IT TIME

Blood Machine really went into my blood. It's very innovative, I've never heard sounds used this way before. Can't wait to get it.

Magnificent Void seems a bit dull, but I'll probably buy that one when I get money. It's not running out of stock everywhere like BM is, so there's no hurry.

Guest Astro Cortex

The Magnificent Void I just got a few days ago, and I've only listened to it once so far. It didn't impress me much except for the last two tracks, which were quite stunning. This album still has to grow on me and I'm pretty sure it will :)

I'm only just starting to explore the soundworlds of Steve Roach, and I have the suspicious feeling that it will be my next big collecting addiction, after Fax B)

Seems I should get Blood Machine very soon, before it's too late.

Well, I checked a bit on his other all-ambient releases, and to be frank they're a bit too much of the same. I mean, there aren't much differences between Mystic Chords and The Magnificent Void. I think one of these would be enough for me.

Well, I checked a bit on his other all-ambient releases, and to be frank they're a bit too much of the same. I mean, there aren't much differences between Mystic Chords and The Magnificent Void. I think one of these would be enough for me.

361321[/snapback]

The subtleties in these types of recordings takes a while to find. They need to be absorbed in full several times over in order to get to know them. At the samer time I do agree that he has a very distinct sound that is well represented in both the releases you mention, but still - give them some time. This music needs to be listened to with different ears than trance or rock, and having several of his purely atmospheric records allows me to pick from a richer palette of sounds when I feel like going into this soundworld.

Same genre? they're both beatless ambient but that's about it..

The Magnificent Void is much more complicated than it seems... listen to track 3 Infinite Shore a couple of times... the whole flow of it, the way the different sounds play together.. the underlying melodies... as if space is talking to you...

There are few to none beatless ambient records that are this sophisticated and continuously evolving.

Ok, I've said enough.

Same genre? they're both beatless ambient but that's about it..

The Magnificent Void is much more complicated than it seems... listen to track 3 Infinite Shore a couple of times... the whole flow of it, the way the different sounds play together.. the underlying melodies... as if space is talking to you...

There are few to none beatless ambient records that are this sophisticated and continuously evolving.

Ok, I've said enough.

361349[/snapback]

Well, Luciana is one if you ask me. It develops all the time, and certainly sets up an atmosphere. It's the same desolate feeling as Void, except darker.

Well, Luciana is one if you ask me. It develops all the time, and certainly sets up an atmosphere. It's the same desolate feeling as Void, except darker.

361352[/snapback]

I think they're different both in terms of mood and in terms of production. Like two similar looking houses, but one of wood and one of stone, or something. The basic matter of the records is different.

I think they're different both in terms of mood and in terms of production. Like two similar looking houses, but one of wood and one of stone, or something. The basic matter of the records is different.

361584[/snapback]

True. However, the lonely and desolate feeling is something I get from both.

Guest Astro Cortex

Has anyone heard Atmospheric Conditions and/or Streams & Currents?

I'm going to order one of these from Steve's webpage, together with Blood Machine, I just can't decide which one. The samples of both albums sound very promising.

Please help me with my decision anyone, I'm in despair :unsure:

thx

Has anyone heard Atmospheric Conditions and/or Streams & Currents?

I'm going to order one of these from Steve's webpage, together with Blood Machine, I just can't decide which one. The samples of both albums sound very promising.

Please help me with my decision anyone, I'm in despair :unsure:

thx

362314[/snapback]

My GF has Streams & Currents and I have Atmospheric Conditions... and yeah it's a tough call. I don't listen to Atmospheric Conditions much, mainly because the Mystic Chords box and Darkest Before Dawn fills that mood slot better for me personally. But Streams & Currents is also a lot like the box set (even in the sleeve design), so...

Get both =)