What are your roots?!

Ok, since I find that more and more people discuss everything else than this forum should be about, I thought that I would start a relevant topic :) (no offense to all yall spammers...)

Anways, what are your roots of musical taste? Do you think your roots have anything to do with that you actually listen to Psytrance today? Or was it just so that you got into it because of drugs and parties? Tell me your story, here is mine....

When I was born, both my parents were "hippies" (the sweet 70s). My father was heavily into Psychedelia, and so was my mother.

But my mother also liked Reggae very much, especially dub. So I was brought up with Pink Floyd, Bob Marley etc etc. My father was also heavily into kraftwerk and other electronica such as Tangerine Dreams and so on, though :)

I have always liked the music that my parents listened to, and I think that their taste in music really had an influence on what I like today.

One artist that I really have as a favourite still from my childhood, is Linton Kwesi. His dub is some of the most amazing music that I have ever heard.

So, from Psychedelic Rock, to Psychedelic Trance, and then later on to "progressive psy". What I especially like is Ticons/Son Kites influences (well the early stuff) of Dub.

Well, the story can go on, and on and on and on and on and on......

What Really struck me the other day, is that I dont have any love for the old school goa trance at all anymore. That period in my life was screwed, and had mostly to do with drugs. Now when I listen to the music, it doesnt do anything to me.

I am talking about the Oldschool that so many people try to reproduce today, not the oldschool before 1996, because that still blows me away today! :)

Still my favourite music to chill out too, is Dub though :)

Whats your story? What are your influences?

nice thread:)

so for me, it didnt have much to do with my parents.. my dad always liked some jazzy stuff (which only much later I learned to like), and my mom, god knows what.. never heard her listening actively to music..

it started with me with basically punk rock and rage against the machine and late punkish counter-culture type of things... I was always kind of a rebel... Society and rules had too many horrible disadvantages that I saw everyday, living in a 3rd world country (whatever that means)...

I´ve always been attracted to non-usual stuff... then came weird prodigy and chemical brothers and beasty boys for me... parallel to that I got into bob marley, reggae and weed... those fitted me well because I felt cool just enjoying some slower groovy sounds with thoughtfull lyrics, just chilling, and being against the norm in a way

and from then, psy parties started happening in rio (maybe 2000, or 99? dont know).. and after that, I was ´magnetized´.. This whole different sub culture where people were a bit more free, where each one was free to act in his own crazyness... the moments of escape from crushing society attracted me a lot... and together with that came the acid, and many answers, together with many doubts..

so thats more or less my roots.. reggae stuff from my early weed days of relaxation, which lead me to a lot of dub chill, and the counter-culture and psychedelic influence, which got me into the parties and culture (but since im more of a slower trippy dancing/personality instead of a jumping power dancing/personality, instead of goa and psy I turned to the progressive side of music)

:)

Can't say that I come from a very musical background, yet I was hugely influenced by my mothers taste in music. When I grew up she was listening to all kinds of 80's synth-pop (Pet Shop Boys etc.), which I actually still like to this day.

My uncle was the first person who introduced me to real electronic music though, Kraftwerk and Jean Michel Jarre to be exact, and in the beginning of the 90's I really got hooked on the new wave of commercial electronic music. The Prodigy, Chemical Brothers, and all kinds of corny cheesy euro-house.

My first encounter with goa/psytrance was in 1996 or 97 (it was a mix-CD by Sid Shanti), and after that it went really quick, buying lots of the Goa Head and Destination Goa compilations and albums by Astral Projection, Shakta etc.

Hmm.. I went to discoz every weekend when i was 8, 9 years old.. And my best freind's brother was the DJ, he always played , what was called "Techno" back then... So i think this has put its marks...

Some years later he bought "Destination Goa" (around 97-99) and I heard some of it and thought OMG THIS IS DA SHIET. Then i started listen to it.. around year 2000...

And here i am today :ph34r:

Sounds like cool parents you have there :)

Me, I don't have a fucking clue what kind of music my dad would have liked. I know he used to be into (big surprise!) Beatles before I was born, but I can't remember him listening to anything but news. My mum has always been "Beatles? Yeah, I've heard about them", owned only classical music discs and some fore sports lessons :huh:

Well, we just had it in the OT section...I came from the techno/acid scene, and it wasn't for the drugs that I came to psy but the stuff I took before listening to the first goa tracks certainly opened my mind for it. One night it just clicked and I was hooked :)

The very first 'music' I remember was Queen and Pink Floyd, my father enjoyed them, so everytime there was a party at home these were played aloud :) When I was a child I always liked music no metter what it was...

I was like 6 years old, we have just moved to a new house, my father was making repairment and all the stuff.. so every day I went to sleep listening to Enya, magical momets... this is something I will never forget :) Also Pet Shop Boys

When I was 10 I liked DJ Bobo :rolleyes:Ace of Base - that one was my favourite... can't really remember more :unsure: Fun Factory or something... La Bouche... Headaway and all the mid 90's popular groups.

For almost 5 years I was away from music, but @ 15 it struck me hard :) I began smoking youknowwhat so the door opened :) I liked propellerheads/prodigy/crystal method/chemical brothers at first.. soon my tastes moved to jungle, my god I remember that times B)DJ Hype was the man! Godlie... wow =) After 1 or 2 years I was fed up with dnb as it became tekknish bullshit and the only project I still enjoyed was Photek. He was great, but I quit dnb after he released Solaris album. I was very disappointed and began smoking more :ph34r:

In my mid dnb days I was introduced to IDM / experimental electronica. People like Autechre, Aphex Twin, Squarepusher and Boards of Canada hugely influenced my life... so I began exploring more and more, I digged deeper and deeper.

I my mid IDM days a friend of mine gave me a couple of albums of psychedelic trance, I coudn't understand that music <_< It was annoying and I coudn't stand these 4/4. Boom-boom-boom... it sounded like techno and I didn't really like dance music.

Later another friend... actually a brother that first guy :D gave me some progressive house... and I really liked that. So the clubbing days begun :lol::lol:John Digweed and Sasha made my day (every day) back then... I tried xtc for the first time and the gate opened :D I also liked GU releases, especially Deep Dish.

I liked to come home after school, smoke a joint and listen to some music - proggy stuff or IDM... so once I thought about listening to that strange psytrance :) So I pressed play and prepared everything... but after some 20 minutes I was like :ph34r: ... it effected me in some strange way. I was like high :blink: . This was the second I understood the power goa =)

Shortly after I visited my first goa-party and it was awesome :) Fluoro-paintings, fluoro decos, strange people and powerful music. I have discovered goa in 2002 and it was a long time after golden age, at first I liked full on, but soon I understood old goatrance.

I have seen people playing with dnb, house, techno and soon they leave this culture, but I have never seen anyone leave psychedelic culture =] So I'm here for good ;)

My mother also was a hippie and she and my dad used to listen to music a lot so I think this had a big influence on me. She had a lot of vinyls from the 70ies, stuff like Stones, Deep Purple Steamhammer, Pink Floyd but also Vangelis. I know she also used to take drugs when she was way younger (psychedelics but also other stuff) and she was very open to everything in general. When I grew up she also adopted newer styles I was listening to. I started with tock like Guns'n'Roses, Nirvana, Faith No More but soon I got into electronica. First Rave stuff like Marusha and Westbam and of course Eurotrance and all the stuff on MTV like The Shamen, Messiah and so on. Also hip-hop. After going to some parties when I was around 20 I discovered goa/psytrance and stuck with it until now (but I still like the other styles). It was pretty cool since my mother liked it also and I was able to buy her some nice CDs for X-Mas and stuff. So I think for me the roots are important...

nice thread, too much to read though.

anyway, i dont remember my roots, i just know i was influenced A LOT from my parents, gypsi kings, santana, elton john, queen, ray charles etc etc...

when i grew up i started listening to prodigy, daft punk, coldplay which lead me to psytrance, and not long ago ambient, dub and so on.

I remember when I got my first New Order 12". Damn, I was so amazed about the music, and I even remember asking myself how I would do such wonderful music.

Of course, In that period I also was into Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, *blush* Howard Jones etc. One of my favourites also back then was Anne Clarke, damn, this music still totally blows me away.

If you ever see a copy of Anne Clarke remixes, look if its the one that has Total Eclipse and Juno Reactor remixes on it :)

Damn, memories memories :)

mine is quite easy

started with the usual poppy 80's stuff but i always have had a liking for extreme music, so didn't take long for me to get into full on thrash and death metal, and from there i just started to progress until i found techno, acid late 80's early 90's, then goa and hard house (tinrib etc) and have loved it all ever since and still listen to all the old metal and full on psy dark psy etc anything with great extremes

When i was little (well, smaller) my dad liked rock the most. My mother hasn't had a specific music style since she was young i think.

When i was maybe 6, my father also listened a bit to drum'n'bass, only a little, and when i starrted liking "mainstream" techno like antiloop and chemical brothers and so on, he supported me. but later on, i mostly discovered trance and all the other music i love today by myself.

But sure, it has influenced me to some extent.

I remember when I got my first New Order 12". Damn, I was so amazed about the music, and I even remember asking myself how I would do such wonderful music.

Of course, In that period I also was into Depeche Mode, Duran Duran, *blush* Howard Jones etc. One of my favourites also back then was Anne Clarke, damn, this music still totally blows me away.

If you ever see a copy of Anne Clarke remixes, look if its the one that has Total Eclipse and Juno Reactor remixes on it :)

Damn, memories memories :)

359715[/snapback]

Oh yes, New Order! :) When I first saw the Blue Monday video on MTV I was blown away (please not, the old MTV England), even when electronical music wasn't something new then. But it's a very intense song, still love... And Howard Jones, hehe... I have to add that I still like this old 80ies stuff like Duran Duran and so on.

And please people, listen to Mr. Nemo (oh, TEKK I mean): Anne Clark makes great music. I just now a few songs but they all are over the top. I have the Total Eclips remix on vinyl and it's just great!

my parents made me appreciate everything, i learned to love all types of music, and let fortune hand me new stuff all of the time...

quite nice when i come to think of it....

like a cameleon!

Oh yes, New Order!  :)  When I first saw the Blue Monday video on MTV I was blown away (please not, the old MTV England), even when electronical music wasn't something new then. But it's a very intense song, still love... And Howard Jones, hehe... I have to add that I still like this old 80ies stuff like Duran Duran and so on.

And please people, listen to Mr. Nemo (oh, TEKK I mean): Anne Clark makes great music. I just now a few songs but they all are over the top. I have the Total Eclips remix on vinyl and it's just great!

359733[/snapback]

Mr Tekk, OK?! ;)

I've always been into electronic music and EDM. Then of course I have lots of various songs I've liked through my life from all kind of genres. Still today I listen to loads of different genres.

I've always been very interested in music, as a 3 year old when my favorite song came on the radio I went to the one speaker sat right infront of it and drifted of to another dimension. I was unreachable until the music ended, then I went back to playing with my toys. ;)

I grew up with my mother, who wasnt really much into music - she would perhaps listen to the beach boys or something like the beatles.....

Music I listened to, in order of appearance.

0-13 Years old

Bamse og Kylling (danish kid stuff)

MC Hammer

Iron Maiden

13-15 Years Old

Jean Michael Jarre

Rock (like nirvana etc)

Dance (2 unlimited etc)

15 Years old +

Techno

Gabber

Trance

Chillout

House

Classic Music

Thats it :-)

Btw, Im 27 years old now.

i listened to pop kids stuff when i was young.. got into a bit of hip hop as i grew older (i'm talking 13 here hehe)

then one day someone gave me a cd with lots of mp3, included stuff like hallucinogen, mfg, cosmosis, gnotr, eyal barkan, holymen

being the 13 yo kid that i am i was attracted to the eyal barkan stuff, but also listened a bit to the other stuff

one day i went to the cd shop and searched for anything that ringed a bell. i found mfg - new kind of world, which is my first purchase and also one of the top 3 albums ever imho. :)

i'm 20 now.

Nice thread . I'll answer first and then read all the other replies.

:rolleyes:

in short... my father is a jazz maniac. he 's really pasionate about it. i remember being little - he bought records from Poland ( in Romania back then you couldn't find many foreign jazz records) , I remember dancing togheter with him and my brother :-)) My mom ... don't know why she's not into music , she buys stuff ocasionally :-( My music budy growing up was my brother even if sometimes we lost track of one another. I liked different kinds of music, when i was 14 I went on holiday in Germany (thats 1994) and found rave and Marusha, Dune etc Then highschool and i had new class mates and it was that Nirvana period. Then I got into "harder" rock - doom,... can't even remember the names of the styles but I remember Theater of Tragedy :rolleyes: then I had the boyfriend and i got so caught up in it that for one year i had general music taste ( very sad, i know) then i broke up with him and after a while i was born again into goa trance :-))

since that moment i listened to that constantly even if in the last two years i started listening almost exclusively ..

happy end.

or?

To be continued

I went to a lot of discos when I was around 12, and all that was played was 'euro techno' :)

E-type, 2 Unlimited, and that sort of stuff :D

All the silly lyrics started to annoy the hell out of me but overall I liked the 'sounds'... kick, melodies, etc.

When I was maybe 13-14 I started listening more to regular trance stuff, techno and other EDM stuff (Prodigy!).

My friend (who was into rave, hardcore and goa) introduced me to goa.. and the first song I heard was probably "Hyperion - Sunflower".

The mp3-era started and I digged deeper into goa trance and other EDM. And also a bit of classical music.

Now I'm still addicted to the old-school sound and I've realized I was born 5 years too late :(

Nice thread . I'll answer first and then read all the other replies.

:rolleyes:

in short... my father is a jazz maniac. he 's really pasionate about it. i remember being little - he bought records from Poland ( in Romania back then you couldn't find many foreign jazz records) , I remember dancing togheter with him and  my brother :-)) My mom  ... don't know why she's not into music , she buys stuff ocasionally :-( My music budy growing up was my brother even if sometimes we lost track of one another. I liked different kinds of music, when i was 14 I went on holiday in Germany (thats 1994) and found rave and Marusha, Dune etc Then highschool and i had new class mates and it was that Nirvana period. Then I got into "harder" rock - doom,...  can't even remember the names of the styles but I remember Theater of Tragedy  :rolleyes:  then I had the boyfriend and i got so caught up in it that for one year i had general music taste ( very sad, i know) then i broke up with him and after a while i was born again into goa trance :-))

since that moment i listened to that constantly even if in the last two years i started listening almost exclusively ..

happy end.

or?

To be continued

360763[/snapback]

To be continued of course :)