black people in the scene....

Dajek

good observation.

(with metal it's the same btw...

no black blackmetallers (at least none that I know of ... but you really get some respect from me if you are able to name a black blackmetaller!)...)

anyway ... it might be dependent on the repetitiveness and unfunkyness of the psy music indeed so that not many of the black people can connect with it spiritually. At least it sounds probable.

I for example can't connect with jazz. It's just randomn noise to me. Still I truly admire jazz musicans for being the masters of that (to me) chaos. And - oh wonder - jazz is a musical genre where black people are present very much ... it "swings", it's funky ... it's more connected to their lifestyle! I can't connect with that I confess, I am not funky but nervous/euphoric/happy/depressive, bun nothing that would connect with jazz music. And as I won't be able to connect with jazz jazz people won't be able to connect with psy. Just an example...

352555[/snapback]

i saw once a black-black-metaller, and i was so unused to it, i was surprised (black t-shirt on black skin, it's weird)

by the way, your theory's wrong, even if it makes sense. i am a jazz fan, and i have many black friends who listen to psy-music. i know i got some american native blood, but it's far and anyway there is no link between american native and jazz...

im not being mean dude. relax.

its more like 80% of the population is black in SA. its just the psy-scene down there doesnt comprise of many of them. When you see one at a party down there its like "where did he come from?"

353098[/snapback]

It's a bit like here in Israel. We have 20% Arab population and when we see them on parties it's usully like "where did he come from?"

Not being a racist or something but for some reason the arabs that come to a party don't really believe in PLUR. Which is shame really :angry:

Maybe it's because psytrance is the opposite to this kind of life and perception of the World.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

352915[/snapback]

Exactly. If you show up to a psytrance party in a track suit and try to intimidate everyone... people won't be impressed. Hell, people probably won't even notice.

It's a bit like here in Israel. We have 20% Arab population and when we see them on parties it's usully like "where did he come from?"

Not being a racist or something but for some reason the arabs that come to a party don't really believe in PLUR. Which is shame really :angry:

354189[/snapback]

:lol: Rain doesn believe in PLUR either :o his friends pee in the middle of the dancefloor :o:unsure::unsure:

Maybe it's because psytrance is the opposite to this kind of life and perception of the World.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

352915[/snapback]

excuse fukin moi... but to assume every black person coincides with this kind of lifestyle/social standing is just as short-sighted as thinking every white person dresses in leather has a mohawk and likes punk... Yes there is larger majority that fits that standard. But these kind of assumptions are just as 'revelatory' as thinking the nazis could profile theives on skull size measurements.

one of the guys largely responsible for getting me into trance came from a half black/white family and he looked the part. I have seen many black people in events and parties before. Then again i do live in the caribbean... ;)

ps: the guy the with the blue 19 shirt in an ESE (latino... prob chicano)

and half the people of the picture on top are latinos as well

stereotypes feed everybody's needs these days ;)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

:lol: Rain doesn believe in PLUR either  :o his friends pee in the middle of the dancefloor  :o  :unsure:  :unsure:

354383[/snapback]

:lol: I did believe in PLUR for many years but now I'm not anymore...

sorry...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

back to topic:

Amamnpondo are black south african & Juno Reactor's collaborators.

How about Shane Gobi,isn't he with black & south african origins also :unsure: ?

(may be he's just very tanned :lol: )

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

back to topic:

Amamnpondo are black south african & Juno Reactor's collaborators.

How about Shane Gobi,isn't he with black & south african origins also :unsure: ?

(may be he's just very tanned :lol: )

A couple of years ago here in Australia I was at an outdoor psytrance doof on Aboriginal Yorta Yorta tribe land where we partied with a bunch of the tribe members, who were black of course, but not in the sense of being of African descent. Mind you, Afro-Australians are a very small minority, though they are now a rapidly growing one - recently there have been many migrants from East Africa in particular.

Maybe it's got something to do with not wanting to hang out with ignorant racist arseholes who think all Black people dress like pimps and listen to Snoop Dogg.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

352915[/snapback]

yes and house music was born in gay latino clubs in new york...

go figure...

352449[/snapback]

No, Rah. House was born in Chicago. Garage was born in New York.

And in terms of the debate of why there are no 'blacks' in Trance. There are various reasons - one of them is that, with thankfully some exceptions, trance is usually not that funky. And the funky stuff only kicked off a few years ago.

As far it being big in South Africa...perhaps it is just another way for the white people to be able to distinguish themselves...

You also get some of that race division in Brazil - I am sure that only a minority of the brazilians in these forums are black...

Pedro

No, Rah. House was born in Chicago. Garage was born in New York.

355702[/snapback]

apparently so :rolleyes:

And in terms of the debate of why there are no 'blacks' in Trance. There are various reasons - one of them is that, with thankfully some exceptions, trance is usually not that funky. And the funky stuff only kicked off a few years ago.

Pedro

355702[/snapback]

Isn't Jungle trance technically... what about drum n Bass?

Maybe it's got something to do with not wanting to hang out with ignorant racist arseholes who think all Black people dress like pimps and listen to Snoop Dogg.

355014[/snapback]

Yeah, that's the reason... so they rap, hang out and rnb, dnb, house and techno parties and only those who don't care about racists go to psytrance parties.

apparently so  :rolleyes:

Isn't Jungle trance technically... what about drum n Bass?

355746[/snapback]

Jungle is not trance (is this what you are asking?), technically or not. For starters, trance is good old fashioned 4/4, while drum and bass is broken beats (sort of like hip hop, but twice as fast). D n b is also very much black and very much UK (in terms of genesis).

I probably did not make myself clear in my previous post - I did not mean to assert that black music has to be 'funky'. My point was the fact that trance was not funky did not help its cause in the black dance community. There are other aspects of trance music that they also find less appealing. Incidently, drum n bass may not be the funkiest type of music, but the bass line and drums can be extremely exciting and dynamic. It has a different appeal from trance.

Pedro

Jungle is not trance (is this what you are asking?), technically or not. For starters, trance is good old fashioned 4/4, while drum and bass is broken beats (sort of like hip hop, but twice as fast). D n b is also very much black and very much UK (in terms of genesis).

I probably did not make myself clear in my previous post - I did not mean to assert that black music has to be 'funky'. My point was the fact that trance was not funky did not help its cause in the black dance community. There are other aspects of trance music that they also find less appealing. Incidently, drum n bass may not be the funkiest type of music, but the bass line and drums can be extremely exciting and dynamic. It has a different appeal from trance.

Pedro

355789[/snapback]

right-o' that was what my question exactly which i didn't really know... as i have never gotten around hearing or spinning d n b or jungle :D

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

352915[/snapback]

You're on to something here :) , yes you are almost right, what do people feel when they listen to hip-hop, regardless if its mainstream or underground? They feel cool, they feel assertive, that's the whole ambiance of hip hop nowadays, all the rappers sound assertive, in your face, strong, and of course, cool wether they rap about superficial things or philosophical things. A lot of people want that feeling in them, listening to rap gives it to them. Think about it, look at people when they listen to rap, try and soak in the feeling that they are emitting, you will notice it no where near resembles trance, or really any 4/4 bass drum electronic music (I say 4/4 cuz a lot of DnB has these same vibes). Trance is about dancing really, about energy, tribal dancing, uplifiting vibes, dark vibes, introspective discoveries....etc...because there are almost never vocals, if there were, it wouldn't really resemble trance.

So, a majority of the black population, mainly in North America and Europe I'd say, listen to hip hop, and I'd bet a lot of money it's mainly for the reason I mentioned above, so you'll never see them listening to trance, they'd look very akward if they did.

and if most of the people listening to it are black

i remember discussing this before.. i always thought it was odd.

in greece, there is a very small black minority, so i never really thought about why there werent any blacks in the scene.. you wouldnt expect to see many anywhere else as well..

but when i came to london, which is the modern day babel with all races living in the same city, i did notice this. and odd it was..

its propably a cultural thing. jimi hendrix was one, but i cant think of a second black hippie.. :huh: