black people in the scene....

Dajek

It occured to me that I don't know any black psy producers nor have I seen black people on any gig pics.

Is it that only caucasian and asian people are into psy? Does anyone know any black psy producers or at least has a black friend who listenes to psy?

I know its a bit funny thread, but I find it interesting.. a bit...

That's a valid, sociological questions... It's has been debated on Isratrance a couple of years ago and here are some of the arguments from that thread:

According to Arun Saldanha, "Goa trance is throbbing and totally unfunky. This non-connection to black music might be a reason why Goa trance audiences in the UK and US are nearly exclusively white (note the historic analogy with psychedelic rock)."

But then again - Detroit techno was born by blacks, right? So what gives?

There are indeed black people on psytrance:

Mumbali - American producer

Ian St. Paul, cofounder of TIP records.

Keez - Danish old-school DJ

Propulsion/Samsara - UK DJ

ResonatorXL in Texas

+ obviously more...

I've seen black people at parties + festivals.. But I agree, that the percentage is VERY low... And I can't come up with a proper answer why...

/DP

Well.. house is very funky, isn't it? At least it's supposed to be...

EDIT

I reread your post.... House was born in Latino gay clubs?? Where is that info from?

352452[/snapback]

Do you like it less because its gay?

:P

Well.. house is very funky, isn't it? At least it's supposed to be...

EDIT

I reread your post.... House was born in Latino gay clubs?? Where is that info from?

352452[/snapback]

Actually, that's not far from being true... I'm currently reading the book "Last night a DJ saved my life: the history of the disc jockey" by Bill Brewster & Frank Broughton which goes through this...

Posted Image

It happened simultanously in London & New York in the late 1960s and onwards... (Obviously the precise origins can always be debated, but RAH pretty much speaks the truth...)

More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_music

/DP

I see...

I don't like house less now, but I have never liked it much anyway. Then again I don't dislike it either, It's good to listen a house track once in a blue moon (there is a saying like that, right?).

damn you girl,

I was born in Ruanda and I'm as black as all those afro-americans  :P

it's funny that people never label someone as half white ....

352463[/snapback]

Well, if this was a hardcore rap-hiphop forum, I guess you'd be referred to as half white... No?

Well, if this was a hardcore rap-hiphop forum, I guess you'd be referred to as half white... No?

352464[/snapback]

no they would call me black,... since I allmost have the same colour as all those rap and bullshit (r&B) dudes. Only those really black people in africa that would call me half white ....

progressive and tech house music kicks most of psytrance´s ass :P

and yeah, very few blacks in trance scene...

I was also asking myself if I knew anyone...

I thought that just like F1 and hokey there are no black people in psychedelic scene. I don't want to offend anyone here, but most balck people don't get this music... but I'm very happy there are such nice exceptions :)

I was also asking myself if I knew anyone...

I thought that just like F1 and hokey there are no black people in psychedelic scene. I don't want to offend anyone here, but most balck people don't get this music... but I'm very happy there are such nice exceptions :)

352499[/snapback]

there are some black people in hockey :), dont know about F1 - only one guy from india[right?], kar... what was his name then <_< ?!

damn you girl,

I was born in Ruanda and I'm as black as all those afro-americans  :P

it's funny that people never call someone half white ....

352463[/snapback]

I've never seen you like a black one...

I'm brown too, don't think there's so much difference between us :unsure:

good observation.

(with metal it's the same btw...

no black blackmetallers (at least none that I know of ... but you really get some respect from me if you are able to name a black blackmetaller!)...)

anyway ... it might be dependent on the repetitiveness and unfunkyness of the psy music indeed so that not many of the black people can connect with it spiritually. At least it sounds probable.

I for example can't connect with jazz. It's just randomn noise to me. Still I truly admire jazz musicans for being the masters of that (to me) chaos. And - oh wonder - jazz is a musical genre where black people are present very much ... it "swings", it's funky ... it's more connected to their lifestyle! I can't connect with that I confess, I am not funky but nervous/euphoric/happy/depressive, bun nothing that would connect with jazz music. And as I won't be able to connect with jazz jazz people won't be able to connect with psy. Just an example...

It's not only like this in the psy scenen but with electronic music in general, maybe with the exeption of house and drum'n'bass. I've been to several trance parties or even big raves with techno, trance and other styles and there were never a lot of blacks (if any). It seems that most electronic music doesn't appeal to them or something.