black people in the scene....

Dajek

On 9/10/2022 at 12:56 AM, Champalive said:

After all these years, we'd like to know, are there any black psy trance producers. well there is Priest from South Africa, but seriously, any one 

*Edit it was a very old thread, and every imaginable angle was already discussed. So I don't see the point in resuscitating a thread from 2006. :) 

To properly answer this question would require a master thesis in som fitting academic field. Since statistics are essential to see the full picture. The answer probably lies embedded in the same mechanisms that has made Psytrance, Techno and related genres more or less popular among producers in different countries/segments of populations. Trends, exposure, what music is popular to produce among your peers, technological progress and early adaption of home computers and internet infrastructure etc. Maybe the Hinduism/New Age aesthetic scared some people of? Techno in comparison is more neutral in it's visual presentation in that aspect.

However these types of discussions tend to always become divisive and polarizing by nature. So I think we should avoid this on Psynews, as there is already plenty of that on other platforms. And skimming through this thread reminded me of how toxic this forum used to be at times, and this thread was probably cleaned up by mods at some point. So yeah let it RIP, 2006 was a looong time ago. 

On 9/10/2022 at 12:56 AM, Champalive said:

After all these years, we'd like to know, are there any black psy trance producers. well there is Priest from South Africa, but seriously, any one else?

... and the Necro of the Month award goes to ... :)

Can I ask: how did you dig this up ... did you search or did you have a list somewhere in your pocket that this question is still unanswered?

The post from Otto Matta up there was worth digging up though :D

I can't contribute to the topic, sorry...

• 1 month later...

I think it might be because people who originate from the Caribbean or are the next generations of black people in western countries and have ancestry ultimately to Africa...do not generally need a spiritual transplant in their lives that is largely linked with the Indian sub continent.

Those black people inclined have a wonderful, rich and deep, mystical culture of their own already. Ultimately originating from the cradle of humanity itself (Africa) means they probably just don't need it.