Pete Namlook Kuhlmann

seraph

I am absolutely amazed by this guy !

Being only 13 years in the scene he already made INCREDIBLE ammount of albums and collaborations...and we are speaking of over 60 releases in 13 years ! :o:huh::lol::D

This amazingly talanted musician is master at making ambient and electronic music, he experienced himself in trance and elektro genres as well and whatever he touches turns into gold or platinum for that matter. He is true genius and master of contemporary art music.

A dizzyingly prolific composer who's steadily built up an entire industry around his Frankfurt-based Fax label, Namlook's name is inextricably linked with the post-rave resurgence of ambient music, and many of his solo and collaborative recordings with the likes of Mixmaster Morris, Tetsu Inoue, Klaus Schulze, Bill Laswell, Richie Hawtin, Geir Jenssen, Dr. Atmo, Burhan Ocal, Atom Heart, Jonah Sharp, Charles Uzzell-Edwards, and David Moufang, among many others, number among the most lauded and influential in new ambient.

Although Namlook got his start releasing quasi-new age ( as Romantic Warrior ) and hard trance ( as Sequential, 4Voice, Escape, Deltraxx, and a host of others ), he and his label have become synonymous with new ambient since Fax began exclusively releasing the style shortly after the label formed in 1992.

Fax helped give shape to ambient's new school by allowing the artists to freely experiment while making a living from their music. ( Fax's label structure confers the majority of its profits to its artists. ) Countless Fax releases, particularly those dating from 1993 and 1994, are considered classics of contemporary electronic ambient, and while the label has suffered a certain degree of repetition in recent years, Fax remains one of the most important and influential German electronic music labels. Namlook has been criticized for adopting a quality-over-quantity approach -- his label's release schedule was up to a CD per week for more than a year, and currently produces 24 per year, many of them Namlook's own, but he's succeeded in attracting a devoted, ravenous following that allows him and his label to continue releasing new music. Fax has released more than 250 full-length CDs, dozens of 12-inches, and several compilations -- including the sprawling 4-CD Ambient Cookbook, which remains the best introduction to the label -- and has expanded to included four Fax-related labels and two subsidiary labels ( Rather Interesting and Headphone, run by Atom Heart and Higher Intelligence Agency's Bobby Bird, respectively ).

Musically, Namlook draws most recognizably on the synthscapes of artists such as Klaus Schulze and Hans Jochim Roedelius, combing the droning electronics of those artists with, depending on the project or collaborator, ethnic instrumentation ( tabla, tambouri, oud ), environmental samples ( rain, voices, arriving and departing trains, wildlife ), sweeping electronic treatments ( the bubbly undercurrents of Dreamfish or the drifting synthetic landscapes of 2350 Broadway ), and minimal acoustic and electronic rhythms ( jungle, electro, techno, and trance ).

His collaborations tend to outdo his solo recordings, although a few of his solo works are among Fax's finest. Though hard to find, the two volumes of The Definitive Ambient Collection offer a good introduction to Namlook's early work.

This guy is true master of the genre...

Discography :

1992 2350 Broadway

1993 The Fires of Ork

1993 Hemisphere

1994 Namlook VII: Live at the Interference Festival

1994 The Dark Side of the Moog

1994 Air 1+2

1995 The Dark Side of the Moog 2

1995 Jet Chamber

1995 The Dark Side of the Moog 3

1995 4 Voice

1995 Alien Community

1995 Silence I + II

1996 Sultan

1996 Outland, Vol. 2

1996 Jet Chamber II

1996 Namlook XI

1996 Shades of Orion

1996 Amp

1996 Ozoona

1996 Four Seasons

1996 Dreamfish

1996 Electronic Music Centre

1996 The Dark Side of the Moog 4

1996 Time 2

1996 The Dark Side of the Moog 5

1997 Elektro 2

1997 A Day in the Life

1997 Namlook & Held

1997 Dark Side of the Moog 6

1997 Jet Chamber III

1997 Jet Chamber IV

1997 Psychonavigation, Vol. 3

1999 Dark Side of the Moog 8 [live]

2000 Jet Chamber V

2001 4 Voice All

2001 Silence 1

2001 Silence 2

2001 The Fires of Ork 2

2001 New Organic Life

2001 Hemisphere

2001 Silence V

2001 Wired

2001 New Organic Life, Vol. 2

2002 Air 2

2002 Psychonavigation, Vol. 5

2002 Dark Side of the Moog 9

2002 Syn II

2002 The Evolution of the Dark Side of the Moog 2003 Adlernebel

2003 Live in Heidelberg

2003 Outland

2003 Shades of Orion, Vol. 2

2003 New Organic Life, Vol. 3

2003 Outland, Vol. 3

2003 Shades of Orlon, Vol. 3

2003 Virtual Vices, Vol. 5

2003 Air 3

2004 Air 4

2004 Dark Side Of The Moog, Vol. 7

2004 Osman

2004 Music for Urban Meditation 2005 Namlook XII

:o:o:o:o:o:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Pretty busy guy I'd say...plus not ALL of the records are there, he even made 3 albums with Richie Hawtin as group FROM WITHIN !!!!! Completely insane ! :D

Guest Astro Cortex

Damn Seraph, why are you opening a topic about Pete Namlook right now that I have to do so much work for my studies?! :angry::P

But on the other hand I don't have much more to add. He's THE Master, period. That's a perfect introduction to Namlook/Fax you've posted, where do you have it from? And do you have/have you heard all the CDs you listed there?

I'm going to continue reviewing Fax CDs next weekend, so perhaps we could do some division of work :)

complete Fax discography here or here

Of course I haven't heard all of the albums, I've only heard : AIR 1, AIR 2, SYN 2, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOOG 3, THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOOG 5, NEW ORGANIC LIFE, THE FIRES OF ORK 1 & 2 ( with Biosphere ), FROM WITHIN 1 & 3 ( with Richie Hawtin ), HEMISPHERE ( with Steve Stoll ), DREAMFISH ( with Mixmaster Morris ) PP & NMLK ( with Speedy J ) and I am planning to download all of the rest with Richie Hawtin serie and with Tetsu Inoue...and many more...

HE IS THE TRUE MASTER...:):D

Ritual om, GET THE DARK SIDE OF THE MOOG series, there is 9 volumes !

Now that is what I called old school psychedelic ambience ! ;)

I've only sampled a few albums from this guy, but I can heartily recommend:

S.H.A.D.O. and S.H.A.D.O. 2 - with Bobby Bird from Higher Intelligence Agency, very trancey. unexpectedly uplifting melodies appear out of the ambience.

Dreamfish and Dreamfish 2 - with Mixmaster Morris, very smooth floating ambient. long tracks, (15-20 min) makes you feel underwater.

I've tried the Fires of Ork 1 and 2 as well, but found them much more repetitive. Pity... Namlook and Geir Jensen from Biosphere sounded like a perfect collab!

The ones he did with his Turkish collaborator are:

Sultan

Sultan Osman

Sultan Orhan

actually it was like they were planning to do an album for every ottoman sultan and Osman was the first, Orhan was the second. I dont know if they re gonna continue. Sultan was the first collobaration and it was based around the same concept without a direct reference to a single Sultan.

Osman --> Ottoman in Turkish

Ottoman Empire is Osmanli Empire hence the first sultan Osman named the empire after his name.

3 good albums, if you are interested and cant find them contact me I ll send them to you :)

From Within 3 ( with Hawtin ) is incredible piece ! It is dark and melancholic at the same time...

This information is especially for Gnome and rest of the dark ambient crowd. ;)

Also collaboration with Jochem Paap ( Speedy J ) is so experimental and MENTAL. :D

I see you've checked out the From Within stuff seraph, smart move! :)

Namlook is a favourite of mine as well, he's got lots of good releases. In a period he released too much stuff though, so not all of it is equally brilliant. But if you dig a little you'll find good stuff for sure. Check out his discogs profile with all of his aliases and projects here.

Some of my faves:

Sequential

Fires Of Ork 1+2

From Within 1-3

Air 1-3

S.H.A.D.O

Dark Side Of The Moog 9 (5 & 6 is also great)

The Speedy J collabs

Hearts Of Space

Dreamfish

Shades Of Orion

Yes some of the best electronic music ever comes from this guy and his label...

But I must say that I find a lot of FAX releases not all that great... quantity is not always quality here... it's a matter of picking out the good ones!

There's a lot of pointless stuff that seems to be recorded on the fly. His best music is when he actually puts some work into it, like the Air and Dark Side of the Moog albums.

check this site www.2350.org for complete FAX catalog

PK: main label (namlook's own music + namlook collaborations)

PS: sub label (other artists + other artist collaborations)

PW: world label (namlook collaborations)

346354[/snapback]

Gee, thanks, will check it out...;)

also very good is Psychonavigation 2, a sort of dark ambient/space jam with the really dark and awesome tracks 2 and 3

the other Psychonavigation and Outland series with Bill Laswell all have interesting, playful music as well...

the Dark Side of The Moog project is now finished with part X, which has some nice moments but is definately not up to the standard of the incredible part IX... (I worship part IX :))

BTW, if you like Namlook you should def check out Tetsu Inoue as well, who is another amazing ambient producer. He did the Shades Of Orion and 2350 Broadway stuff with Namlook, and has several other great releases as well. Some of my favourites:

Ambiant Otaku

Organic Cloud

World Receiver

Datacide II

Zenith

Om - Instant Enlightenment <--- This one is really amazing

Guest Astro Cortex

BTW, if you like Namlook you should def check out Tetsu Inoue as well, who is another amazing ambient producer. He did the Shades Of Orion and 2350 Broadway stuff with Namlook, and has several other great releases as well. Some of my favourites:

Ambiant Otaku

Organic Cloud

World Receiver

Datacide II

Zenith

Om - Instant Enlightenment <--- This one is really amazing

346928[/snapback]

Yeah, Tetsu is a real genius too. Zenith and Ambiant Otaku are damn f*cking great, my very favourite by him has to be Electro Harmonix though. And the best one he made with Pete Namlook is definitely 2350 Broadway 3.

And Dragonflier, do you own an original copy of Datacide II? If so, you're a damn lucky bastard, I'm still searching for this one like mad. :o:rolleyes:

Yeah, Tetsu is a real genius too. Zenith and Ambiant Otaku are damn f*cking great, my very favourite by him has to be Electro Harmonix though. And the best one he made with Pete Namlook is definitely 2350 Broadway 3.

And Dragonflier, do you own an original copy of Datacide II? If so, you're a damn lucky bastard, I'm still searching for this one like mad. :o  :rolleyes:

346962[/snapback]

I don't have the original sadly, haven't been into this type of music for very long so all I got from Namlook/FAX so far is From Within 1+2 and Fires Of Ork I. I'm planning to get some more, but the limited pressing of the releases isn't exactly making the job easy.....

Guest Astro Cortex

I don't have the original sadly, haven't been into this type of music for very long so all I got from Namlook/FAX so far is From Within 1+2 and Fires Of Ork I. I'm planning to get some more, but the limited pressing of the releases isn't exactly making the job easy.....

347101[/snapback]

That's true, however they're nice collectors items. The only chance to get the rare old classics in original pressing seems to be ebay though. I've also been really into Fax for only half a year or even less, however I've bought quite a lot of them since. And I paid up to 50-60 Euros for some very rare ones, which is already quite an insane price for a single disc, but some CDs never go for less than several hundred $, and this is really too much for me. So I doubt I'll ever get to hear stuff like The Putney, Coeur Atomique, Datacide II or I.F. on CD, since they've not even been reissued :( . But on the other hand I think I've got enough Fax for now and will take a break from collecting. Time to concentrate on the less pricy stuff. Back to normal life ;)

So if you start collecting more Fax discs, know when to stop and get your act together, it's addictive as hell. Otherwise you'll go broke in a minute, I've warned you! :ph34r:;)

• 1 month later...

he made 3 colloborations with Burhan Ocal a turkish virtuoso percussionist

and they are really really good

I recommend them to everyone

If you are a fan and its hard to find

let me know

I can get them from any music store so nemo problemo :)

342897[/snapback]

i am dloading

Pete_Namlook_and_Burhan_Ocal_-_Sultan-Orhan-(Fax_Records)-2004-BCC

first track starts very nice, i dont like it that much at a few points...

anyways will listen to the whole album, sounds good ;)