Producing Music in Linux?

Well, the title says it all. I need to know if there are any good full-featured sequencers for linux.

Or if anyone's tried emulating windows and using FL/Cubase/Whatever I'd be happy to hear about your experience. :)

340787[/snapback]

Serious, dont do that!

Stick with Windows or the Mac OS's

Youre gonna regret bigtime when u find out all the stuff you want isnt linux compatible.

Just an advise. :)

Serious, dont do that!

Stick with Windows or the Mac OS's

Youre gonna regret bigtime when u find out all the stuff you want isnt linux compatible.

Just an advise.  :)

340860[/snapback]

I'm gonna get a mac later on, but right now I'm seriously getting tired of windows and I'd like to know about the possibilities for linux.

Something with garden huh? Does anyone know about this?

Edit: Did you mean this? http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/ :P I'll have a look at it

curious.. why are you tired of windows?

have you ever used any linux distro? just don't expect to be able to install that app in the first month or so and you'll be alright..

oh and pick a good big distro like suse or fedora core.. then there will be loads of people in support forums you can bother with stupid questions

making music straight from console.. now there is an idea :D

this isnt really related to linux... but you CAN get mac osx running on a windows box using PearPC. you need an image file for OSX which isnt hard to find with torrents and such.. the only thing is, im not sure if its able to run Logic reasonably well, or run it at all :(

has anyone tried running logic on a osx emulator?

I'm gonna get a mac later on, but right now I'm seriously getting tired of windows and I'd like to know about the possibilities for linux.

Something with garden huh? Does anyone know about this?

Edit: Did you mean this? http://www.rosegardenmusic.com/ :P I'll have a look at it

341038[/snapback]

i dont know why u r sayin so

when ever u have opened reason or fl studio to make music why to bother about ur OS.testing the linux is a different subject

but serchin the probabilities of linux 4 makin music is encouraged :)

but if ur intention is to make music iam sure that u will be back to windows ;)

Well, the title says it all. I need to know if there are any good full-featured sequencers for linux.

Or if anyone's tried emulating windows and using FL/Cubase/Whatever I'd be happy to hear about your experience. :)

340787[/snapback]

The simple answer is yes it can be done. The real answer is NO. As the VST are compiled for win32/apple etc, so you'll be missing out on tons of stuff. There are zillions of music program for linux, but none give the ease of use that cubase/logic/reason do.

The first person to write a cubase/reason type program for linux, as in a complete program, will revolutionize the music industry. all in all I don't see it happening. Programmers that write these free software programs often forget that musicans are just that muscians, so the programs have the CRAPPEST interfaces.

Thats just my £0.02. I use linux for everything BUT music production.

The simple answer is yes it can be done. The real answer is NO. As the VST are compiled for win32/apple etc, so you'll be missing out on tons of stuff. There are zillions of music program for linux, but none give the ease of use that cubase/logic/reason do.

The first person to write a cubase/reason type program for linux, as in a complete program, will revolutionize the music industry. all in all I don't see it happening. Programmers that write these free software programs often forget that musicans are just that muscians, so the programs have the CRAPPEST interfaces.

Thats just my £0.02.  I use linux for everything BUT music production.

342141[/snapback]

Yeah, they're compiled for windows, but you can use most of them anyway using DSSI.

dssi-vst, a wrapper plugin enabling the use of many Windows VST plugins.

curious.. why are you tired of windows?

have you ever used any linux distro? just don't expect to be able to install that app in the first month or so and you'll be alright..

oh and pick a good big distro like suse or fedora core.. then there will be loads of people in support forums you can bother with stupid questions

Because of Microsofts ideology.

The reasons I'm sticking with windows are 1) That I can't afford a Mac. 2) I have yet to find a good audio sequencer for GNU/Linux.

Now this isn't why I made this topic, so please refrain from posting anything that isn't related to my original question. If you want to discuss more about operating systems please make a new thread in the off-topic section of the forum. It doesn't belong here.

340787[/snapback]

There is a lack of good music software for Linux, they need to develop more thats for sure! I actually had success emulating Jeskola Buzz tracker under Linux (Red Hat 9), which is a free modular tracker based music making package with lots of synths and samplers, i write quite a few of my tracks with Jeskola Buzz. (check out www.buzzmachines.com, and google buzz linux) it even has VSTI support but I never got around to trying it out under Linux so I cant confirm if that part works. Its probably the best solution I have found to audio production under Linux sofar, buzz has some great soft synths and sound fx (the samplers are great too). I saw some beta tests of a new VSTI engine for Linux a few months ago but it was sketchy to say the least. Hopefully we will see more Linux audio software in the future as its gaining more popularity with the home user.

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lack of good music software for Linux, they need to develop more thats for sure! I actually had success emulating Jeskola Buzz tracker under Linux (Red Hat 9), which is a free modular tracker based music making package with lots of synths and samplers, i write quite a few of my tracks with Jeskola Buzz. (check out www.buzzmachines.com, and google buzz linux) it even has VSTI support but I never got around to trying it out under Linux so I cant confirm if that part works. Its probably the best solution I have found to audio production under Linux sofar, buzz has some great soft synths and sound fx (the samplers are great too). I saw some beta tests of a new VSTI engine for Linux a few months ago but it was sketchy to say the least. Hopefully we will see more Linux audio software in the future as its gaining more popularity with the home user.

344163[/snapback]

Yeah, definitely the most promising tracker/whatever they wanna call it I've seen so far. :) I'll see where the development goes. :o

Ther is lots of good linux soft, they ares just hard to learn and you have to use a bunch of them to produce. They take time to set-up and ares not friendly but still, you have complete freedom after that.

(Sound producing and live)

Pure Data

and follow Miller Puckett 2005 doc.

http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques/latest/book-html/

(synth)

zynaddsubfx

http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/

Rosegarden

(kind of cubase equivalent,

better use if you read the rosegarden book on sale @ amazone)

(mixing)

mixxx

terminatorX(scratching)

All of them are good if you use them well : ) but they have bad graphic interface

Good luck : )

• 10 months later...

The first person to write a cubase/reason type program for linux, as in a complete program, will revolutionize the music industry.

342141[/snapback]

linux audio tools condorow

You just gived me an idea.. Anybody wants to join in a revolution? Lets start downloading linux programing tutorials and let the revolution begins!

I use linux for everything BUT music production.

342141[/snapback]

That a good idea too, in every case, easier than first one..

There is a music linux version wich call demudi (with synt midiseq and a very powerfull audioseq)

Two version of demudi

-live cd (boot cd no install required good for try)

-install version...

All for free :)

the card work very well with it

RME and M AUDIO...

341911[/snapback]

I have Demudi 1.2.1.,it's great.