Software with easy interface

Some months ago I got Cubase SX from a friend and try to make some tracks, amateur stuff not something pro, but it doesn't work, after adding a third MIDI channel the program goes mad playing channels in a random,confusing order.I guess it's the RAM. I use only 256 RAM. The tutorial informs me that 256 is the minimum of RAM but it doesn't work at all. How much RAM I need for an amateur track?

Also can you recommend me a software with an easier and more friendly interface than Cubase? It's too complicated for an amateur.

Cheers! ;)

• 3 months later...

Do not try FL if you dont have a powerfull PC

FL requires even more RAM than Cubase or Logic for ex

The program that it has the best CPU usage and its fairly easy to use is Reason

I think it fits perfect on your quests

Its easy, and will run perfectly in your machine

As for the Asio driver, its almost indispensable you have

A driver is basically just a set of instructions that tell Windows how to use a specific piece of hardware.

ASIO stands for Audio Streaming Input Output

When making a soundcard for gamers and people who watch DVDs or listen to mp3s or whatever, they just need a card that playsback audio, and maybe records stuff as well. They don't need anything else fancy.

We musician/producer types need a bit more, we need the input and the output to be synchronised. ASIO drivers are supposed to let the audio come in, get processed by the computer, and then get spat out again with everything else in virtually no time at all. In fact, it takes so little time that you can't hear the delay (anything less than 10ms is enough).

One advantage is that a guitarist can hear himself play a guitar with software effects and virtual amps on it without any delay between his strumming and the sound coming out. This is impossible without ASIO.

Another exanple is when recording vocals, it'd be nice to have a bit of reveerb and delay going into the headphones. If you don't have ASIO drivers you can only hear a dry signal using 'direct monitoring'. So it's useful if you have ASIO to monitor all your signals from inside your sequencer instead of using the direct monitoring feature of the soundcard.

MIDI is affected as well. Using non-ASIO drivers can cause a big delay between the time you hit the key and the sound of the software instrument being heard.

Another huge benefit of using (well built) ASIO drivers is system stability. Whilst you can get away without using ASIO drivers if you are not doing any recording, it is still beneficial as it can make your sequencer run smoother and a lot tighter and take a lot of pressure off your CPU to keep things going.

You could also try an older version: Cubase VST 5.1

I hated the SX version I tried: it was unstable, had unneeded features, removed MIDI functions and different controls. I bet VST 5.1 runs better and more stable if you don't have a mega pc. It supports any VST/DX instrument or effect and works just fine. I have no reason to ever switch to another program.