Voice Of Cod - We Are Free

DeathPosture

• 2 weeks later...

I found this album to be packed with nice sounds, and for some reason it reminds me of last year's Hydrophonic release. Perhaps the sleeper hit of this year, Voice of Cod is without a doubt talented, but perhaps a little lazy as I found some tracks to be slightly repetative. They do have a nice unique full-on sound, but this release is certainly shy of "groundbreaking". This music keeps a certain melodic drive throughout its many layers that gives these tunes a certain feel, which I can fully appreciate.

I also found what many others mentioned in previous posts about this albums' tendancy to "grow" on you after repeated listenings to be quite true. Indeed.

Final Verdict: 8/10 (Awesome!) :D

Hmm, I can't stand full-on, but this is fucking great!

Very much fun. Not pretentious.

400335[/snapback]

Yeah, its a well cool album. its got its own distinct signature and doesnt sound like everything else out there. its nice, well produced, and i like it. 7.5-8 /10

Voice Of Cod - We Are Free

Organic Records, 2005

Review Intro: Here comes my journey into the loony world of the Cod. I expect something new for a change and I'm almoust sure that those talanted artists will give me a proper fresh psychedelic music. So let's put this CD on and see how far they went...

01. Bubbles Of Nothing

We're starting with a funky intro that reminds me a bit the old arcade game music. The groove and the feel is very funky, a lot of soundscapes and distorted sharpen leads. In between the complexity you can find some futuristic melodies, I would place that song in one of the Japanese mangas.

8/10

02. The Unknowns

Probably there are a lot of things we know and we don't know, but I will not look for the answer here, otherwise I will get lost in that trip. We got here more massive bass and a thrilling leads. Lovely acoustic drum breakout in the middle then we back to the mayhem. Very noticable old school goa elements.

9/10

03. The Art Of Funk Shui

Some monkeys are trying to sound funky? I think they kinda managed to do this. That's getting more weird, I'm trying to concetrate on the groove, but my attention disordered by the twisted sounds. A relief comes on the 4th minute, where the lead tries to speak with you, magical feeling. The track probably recorded at some space zoo.

8/10

04. Go Downtown

A lot of talkings and different psychedelic sounds in the first 3 minutes. Ok, I'm heading towards my urban adventures. Through the whole track I felt like I've lost my way, acidic sounds fused my brain, but I've managed to get out. Very trippy piece.

7/10

05. Misinfotainment

This track got some more old school art on this album. Very interesting panned percussion. I really enjoyed the synth sounds, magnetic! The vocals in the backround treated very well. On the second part the phased melody finds it way amoung the metallic madness.

8/10

06. Bakelite Satellite

This would be my favourite one from the album. Very solid groove and percussion. The guitar alike synth does a wonderfull job and of course the acid aquare line which comes afterwards. The effects applied on the synth lines are brilliant! The break part in the middle took me to a different world but then threw me back. Amazing TB sounds by the end.

9.5/10

07. Slysis Me

Atmospheric journey with a wide space feel, a lot of echoes in that one. Futuristic melody takes you on a ride, while the track keeps on changing. A bit weak feel here, I feel like I need more energy in that one.

7/10

08. It's Just A Ride (Zuloop Rmx)

We back to the massive grooves again. Very epic one, while the melodical parts and the pads makes you relaxed, the drums and the effects parts keep on twisting all around.

8/10

09. Heart Of Gold

Uplifting track, flawless cartoon psychedelia. All we had from the previous tracks is here as well - the acid lines, the pads and the multiple layers of everything.

7.5/10

Review Outro: Endless sound layers, mystic pads and funky melodies - that's a pure tripping for the complicated trancer. I really enjoyed this cd because of its concept, old school feel and the funkness. Also I will not call it Full-On, it's more about Psychedelic Trance as it should be. What I really missed here is a higlighted element in each track, sometimes it's too messed for me and I seek for something to follow. The sound reminds of Rinkadink and Triptych with more goa elements and bizarreness. For sure an album that shouldn't be missed.

Cover Art: 8/10

Sound: 9/10

Album Concept: 9/10

Overall Rating: 8.5/10

ND

www.prosectorium.com

this is a slamming album,

the kick drums are so punchy and clean, basslines sharp and funky and just enough tweaky sounds.

dont think 'just a ride' could be redone any better than the original.

and didnt really like the cover art.

but the insert is genius, finally someone who cares about the dj,

hopefully more will follow suite.

all the best organic and VOC

it was a pleasure to share my show with you.

take care

-Kameleon :D

• 1 month later...

hmmm well I've listened to it and... I don't really like it... this is "goofy full-on", pretty similar to the South African style which has been much hyped at the beginning of 2005 (and which I didn't really like either...). When you know that Colin was behind a certain goatrance all-time classic named OOOD - Kundalini you can't help feel dissapointed when you hear this album :(

Now I'm not saying that this is all bad either!!! There are a few tracks that I rather enjoy and that show that these guy's roots go back to the good ol' oldschool days. So naturally I like Go Downtown which is very nice (and they finally managed to tone down the "goffyness" a bit on this one). I haven't heard the original of It's Just a Ride but the remix sounds pretty good as well. And the piece de resistance which is We Are Free . Ah such good ol' nice atmospheric morning trance, this one and basically the only one that reminds me the OOOD days. Now if only all the tracks were like this one, I'd say that this was easily one of the best albums of 2005... but sadly it isn't :( 7/10 for the exceptional last track

Please Colin give us another OOOD oldschool album and cut this full-on crap, it's not worth your time and effort!!!

Guest Anti Gravity

hmmm well I've listened to it and... I don't really like it... this is "goofy full-on",  pretty similar to the South African style which has been much hyped at the beginning of 2005 (and which I didn't really like either...). When you know that Colin was behind a certain goatrance all-time classic named OOOD - Kundalini you can't help feel dissapointed when you hear this album :(

Now I'm not saying that this is all bad either!!! There are a few tracks that I rather enjoy and that show that these guy's roots go back to the good ol' oldschool days. So naturally I like Go Downtown which is very nice (and they finally managed to tone down the "goffyness" a bit on this one). I haven't heard the original of It's Just a Ride but the remix sounds pretty good as well. And the piece de resistance which is We Are Free . Ah such good ol' nice atmospheric morning trance, this one and basically the only one that reminds me the OOOD days. Now if only all the tracks were like this one, I'd say that this was easily one of the best albums of 2005... but sadly it isn't :(  7/10 for the exceptional last track

Please Colin give us another OOOD oldschool album and cut this full-on crap, it's not worth your time and effort!!!

448120[/snapback]

mmmm comparing this to the south african style :blink:

not fully agree on that, it's totally different, not even close to it imo

the basslines are like ten times not that hard comparing to south african artist

and yeah asking for more old skool

wel I think OOOD has shown a lot and gave us a lot I can't blame him for trying something else

or going in a different direction

voice of cod very succeeded for me, lot's of varations, indeed some funky touch which is always nice to experience while homelistening, not too fast and not too overloaded but still filled with many different sounds

the more you listen to the album the more sounds you discover and that's what old skool used to have too

so your experience as an old skool artist did you well I suppose

thanx :)

Please Colin give us another OOOD oldschool album ...

448120[/snapback]

Posted Image

Can't promise you an old-school album, I'm afraid. Definitely can't promise you a full-on album either though! :) OOOD has different members than it did back then, and the technology is totally different so of course it won't sound the same.

Try not to expect anything, and you're unlikely to be disappointed :lol:

Guest Anti Gravity

Try not to expect anything, and you're unlikely to be disappointed  :lol:

449054[/snapback]

true but that's the curse on all artist who ever released good albums

it's like digging your own grave like infected has done

but If you analyze it there's nothing you can't do about it

that is just how it works, knowing that helps a lot off course

but not being aware is often a negative influence :unsure:

and the technology is totally different so of course it won't sound the same.

as long as you still have a 303, a 101 and a Juno in your studio I don't see the problem ;)

mmmm comparing this to the south african style blink.gif

not fully agree on that, it's totally different, not even close to it imo

the basslines are like ten times not that hard comparing to south african artist

yeah, that's why I said similar and not identical ;)

• 3 months later...

Almost everywhere I've seen reviews of WAF I've only read praises of the album. Consequently, I've given this album many chances to get under my bones, but still I haven't figured out what all the splendor and hype is about.

Perhaps it's too neat for my taste. The British polishing is very detectable here and it sounds as if every note has been considered. A little more craziness and naughtiness would have suited my ears. Some added psychedelic FX here and there to provide edge. Still, for homelistening it provides a ride. On the dancefloor I prefer a little more craziness, and beforehand I can only label Misinfotainment (NICE bass and FX) as one track that definitely would set me off on the dancefloors. The remainder? Well, ...

Almost everywhere I've seen reviews of WAF I've only read praises of the album. Consequently, I've given this album many chances to get under my bones, but still I haven't figured out what all the splendor and hype is about.

Perhaps it's too neat for my taste. The British polishing is very detectable here and it sounds as if every note has been considered. A little more craziness and naughtiness would have suited my ears. Some added psychedelic FX here and there to provide edge. Still, for homelistening it provides a ride. On the dancefloor I prefer a little more craziness, and beforehand I can only label Misinfotainment (NICE bass and FX) as one track that definitely would set me off on the dancefloors. The remainder? Well, ...

541122[/snapback]

Same feeling here, it lacks what I'm looking for and Its hard do describe that.. matter of taste I guess :)

Guest antic

541122[/snapback]

Same feeling here, it lacks what I'm looking for and Its hard do describe that.. matter of taste I guess :)

541488[/snapback]

to balance the reviews a bit - it has everything I was expecting for it to be. and more :)

it is psychedelic - don't know what you guys mean saying there's no psychedelic fx there? just take out your headphones and listen carefully - it's packed with them! ofcourse it's all delicate and subtle, not like Eskimo who puts breaks every 15 seconds and chops the sound beyod recognition...

it is musical - in contrast to many today's releases WAF can be called 'music', because you can apparently hear that in their melodies, arrangement, chords progression etc - these guys just know what they're doing... again, take your headphones and listen to all those layers - it's not your average full-on with rolling bass, few fx and looped riff!

it's funky - I looove when psytrance gets funky! check the bassline / drums combo in most of the tracks - there's groove, there's shuffle! I don't know why so many of you call it "full-on'? there's no rolling basslines or other typical 'full-on' tricks there? have you heard funky 'full-on'? in my book this album is a perfect example of what I call "british psytance', which contains all Cosmosis albums, Green Nuns, Scorb, Tristan, Hallucinogen etc.

it is funny - I know not everyone likes 'funny' samples, but I love when it is done so good as it is here - just check "Misinfotainment" (stupid TV-commercial samples), "Go Downtown" (whole pasage from some book or movie?) or "Bakelite Satellite" (George W. Bush sample)! Again, only 'british psytrancers' know how to do this (Cosmosis, Green Nuns)

to sum things up - VoC's We Are Free is IMO one of three best albums of 2005 (along with Jaia & EVP). in those times of uniformity (all full-on sounds like any other full-on, the same starts to happen with progressive & dark-psy), they managed to create their own sound. I mean you can't mistake that bassline / drums combo with anyone else? at least I always spot them in a set right away and that's a good thing :)

there's no bad track in a bunch, far from it but the best are "Bubbles of Nothing", "The Unknowns", "Go Downtown", "Misinfotainment" & "Bakelite Satellite"...

depending on my mood, the rating varies between 8 - 10/10 :)

thinking about it, I'm gonna play it right now again!

• 9 months later...

You know, I will say listening to it now - and after not having heard it for months - there ARE lots of psychedelic FX.

I stand corrected.

Still, I don't know. It doesn't get right under my bones for some reason. Different strokes for different folks, I guess ... :angry:

Anyway, did anyone here know that the quote in The Unknowns is based on poetry by former U.S. Secretary of defense D.H. Rumsfeld :lol:

Check the link here and search for unknown unknowns. He's used the phrase numerous times.

A good example is here (scroll about 2/5 down)