backdrops

I want to learn makin UV-backdrops, especially psychedelic ones!

has someone experience from this, and can learn me the basic stuff?

can I mix the UV-colours as regular acrylics? do I need special canvas?

does artist sell their work or rent (to raves, parties, clubs, etc)?

how much can I expect to get paid?

is there any other thing I need to know before I get started?

if anyone got URL's to other artist pages, please post!

----p.s.----

I just noticed I posted this in the wrong section. I am sorry about that. to any OP: please move this thread if possible!

Made by my collegue. :) We work together, sometimes we paint together, sometimes we paint our own designs. I didn't design this one but i helped painting it. Actually this was the first one my friend made when we started working together.

what are "suncurtains" - special type of canvas?

for the sketch - do you draw outlines directly on the canvas, or do you "project"?

say, if you have big areas of unpainted canvas, and you want it solid black - can I use a cheaper non-acrylic colour and make it look good? or does the result turn out weird?

do you know if there's a medium which can protect the work from fluid? (could be good if you rent to parties)

respect to Daniël! :-D

what are "suncurtains" - special type of canvas?

328740[/snapback]

You can buy it in every curtain store, it's a type of curtain that is heat-resistant. It could help if the firefighters ever come & complain you're being inresponisble with all those big backdrops on the wall. I've tested it's inflamability and a sigaret can nog light up an anti-sun curtain. You need a fire and it melts first before it starts to burn. Plus it burns really slow.

I also have cheaper canvas, think it's linnen & cotton. Actually you can use anything to paint on. My first painting was made on a bedsheet. I came home from a party and i had this backdrop stuck in my mind after a wild trippy night. I went to the store, ripped my bedsheet off and started painting. :)

for the sketch - do you draw outlines directly on the canvas, or do you "project"?

328740[/snapback]

both, i make approx. 30 designs and make dia's out of them. I love painting directly on canvas more but sometimes i have to work with deadlines. So with prefab designs I can make 2 or 3 backdrops on 1 week. It's much faster to have designs made smaller and projected bigger. in case of complex geometric figures a dia projector will save you months.

say, if you have big areas of unpainted canvas, and you want it solid black - can I use a cheaper non-acrylic colour and make it look good? or does the result turn out weird?

328740[/snapback]

Never tried that, but you can mix all kinds of paint to get more colour-dimensions or different special effects. I mostly use fluoro & non fluoro acrylic with several mediums. I always mix my colors, every colour that goes on the painting has another color in it.

You could try it on a small sheet and use some different kinds of paint.

But i would recommend not to use any paint that isn't resistant to water.

I think you will not notice the difference of acryl next to another kind of paint.

Remember that acryl is a synthetical designed paint that has all the good stuff of every paint. Acryl is waterresistant & bendable. I don't know any other paint that will hold if you fold a painting and throw it into a river. The acryl can handle such things. The easiest & save way to paint is acryl. I know some big headed artist who refuse to use acryl cause they say all works made in acryl is not art. It's too easy for them... :rolleyes:

For fluoro backdrop that need to be transported every few weeks i would strongly recommend acryl. It cost more but better pay for decent materials then have your work destroyed.

do you know if there's a medium which can protect the work from fluid? (could be good if you rent to parties)

328740[/snapback]

acrylic is bendable and resistant to water, it doesn't actually need a medium, though it is optional to use an acrylic fixation medium to keep the flouro alive. Without a fixation the flouro will hold for about 2 years, if you use a fixation it will stay as new for 5 years before it starts to die out. Flouro isn't forever. it looses it strenght.

respect to Daniël! :-D

328740[/snapback]

Thanks, post a picture if you finnish a work. :)

Without a fixation the flouro will hold for about 2 years, if you use a fixation it will stay as new for 5 years before it starts to die out.  Flouro isn't forever.  it looses it strenght.

:o

god no!

all my framed images, not fixed!

nooo...

Please, where can I get such a fluoro fixation and how does it work? Can I overpaint my stuff with the fixation or does it have to be mixed into the colors?

:o

god no!

all my framed images, not fixed!

nooo...

Please, where can I get such a fluoro fixation and how does it work? Can I overpaint my stuff with the fixation or does it have to be mixed into the colors?

331186[/snapback]

Daniël: you can do it anytime you want.

It's regular Acrylic fixation , should be available in a decent art store.

I use spray, but you can also buy it to paint. It's a transparant layer on top of the paint.

Daniël: you can do it anytime you want. 

It's regular Acrylic fixation , should be available in a decent art store.

I use spray, but you can also buy it to paint.  It's a transparant layer on top of the paint.

331609[/snapback]

:) <--- big smile!

Thank you very much for this info...

I already was worrying ... because I really like some of the paintings and I already fucking ruined my right hand because of some of them and it would be really bad if all goes down the drain already after two years ... but I'm going to get such a fixation thingie and spray it over my best pieces...

Good. Very goood :)

:) <--- big smile!

Thank you very much for this info...

I already was worrying ... because I really like some of the paintings and I already fucking ruined my right hand because of some of them and it would be really bad if all goes down the drain already after two years ... but I'm going to get such a fixation thingie and spray it over my best pieces...

Good. Very goood :)

331904[/snapback]

Well , it doesn't completely dissapear after 2 years but very slowly.

Let's say it starts breaking down after 2 years.

If i take an old piece without fixation and place it next to a new one both in full blacklight then i can allready see a clear difference.

With the fixation it stays as good as new for about 5 years.

Well hehe, I was a bit panicking, but when it comes to the fluo effect I'm very sensitive about that ... because without fluo light my paintings are very very inexpressive and nothing worth to look at, seriously (I know I haven't used enough layers and such, I must do that in the future - if I'll ever finish the one I'm working on now since three months without any visible progression, arrrgh!)...

What would interest me is the fact whether the fluo effect dies out only when you expose the paintings to fluo/sunlight for a longer time or also in normal lightbulb light (which has only very very little blacklight in it) or when you store them in a dark place for a long time ... ?