Spyweirdos - For Children to Play

kabamaru

Posted Image

Artist: Spyweirdos (Spyros Polychronopoulos)

Album: For Children to Play

Label: Z.M.A. Records, Greece

Style: IDM, Electro, Downtempo, Experimental

Date: 25th July, 2005

Tracklist:

01. Two Little Lamps

02. Spyweird It

03. No Eye Banda

04. Only For People Who Saw It

05. Goblins & Arrows

06. Never Cry Wolf

07. You Where Never There

08. Planet For Children

09. Girl To Midi

10. Loop A To Loop D

11. No, Not Yet

12. Black Paint

13. Are You Into It?

14. Why So Sad

15. Never December

16. Summer Somewhere

This is the second album from Spyros Polychronopoulos under the artist name Spyweirdos (the first one was the double cd Fairytale, which I will have to track down eventually). Let me start by saying that this is a very well rounded electronic album, it gives the impression of a very personal album (I can imagine Spyros working in his studio for hours, lost in his feelings and thoughts) with a carefully crafted (and very strong!) melancholic mood. There is never too much complexity in the tracks and the whole album is a well paced, not rushed journey through mellow emotions. There is no point in going through the tracks in this mini review, the album is full of gentle synth and piano melodies and clever beats. It gets a bit darker and (even) more atmospheric in the last 10-15 minutes. I am not sure about this, but this album gives me this retro-feeling, I'm pretty sure I've listened to similar sounds before (electro/experimental circa 94) but I can't find any specific album to back this up right now. Anyway, if you enjoy some quality mellow and floating electronica then try this.

Overall, a very mature album, I think this will age very well. Recommended!

• 3 weeks later...

havent got this album yet...

but i know its quite nice! i ve listened to some of the tracks ..

i also liked a lot "fairytales". his previous double album..

its worth noting that spyweirdos is one half of "weird alchemy" (together with john spyridakis). have you heard their album wired alchemy? thats psytrance of course, so pretty different from spyweirdos stuff..

btw, i m pretty sure fairytales was/is on sale at lotos records in salonika..

spyros made it again! one of the best experimental/ambient albums i ve heard this year...dreamy,melanchoLic,experimental,floating...

hey unikos mate,u ru surprising me! u still remember the weird alchemy sounds...true PSYCHEDELIC...

fairytales was on sell on the lotus record shop salonica in deed...that the shop i buy it before years...heh,what a cover really...

SPYWEIRD IT!