Renoise Tracker?

Hey there my fellow GOA Heads.

Ok Renoise Tracker... someone told me about this and i come to find out that i can get it for like 70 bucks. i want to start making Psy trance and GOA (u might know this from some of my previous posts) anyway can u make psy and GOA trance with this thing? and like more than just a couple of good songs and then its all crap... I currently have Dance Ejay 7 and it is all crap but I don’t want o spend a whole bunch of money on like cubase or Logic and be all lost. Please help me my brethren.

Liquid Phantom

PLUR GOD bless GOA

Hello, all i can say is that Renoise is a TRUE tracker, but more 'modern' than fasttracker and impulsetracker, you can use some plug-ins / VST stuff / usage of filters, but that's about it... still it's based around samples for the most part... not so very usable for goa/psy in my opinion...

check out the demo version to learn more about this one!...

http://www.renoise.com/

Well I can tell you that it works very well for me, though Ive been using trackers since '97 about, I started on Impulse, moved to Modplug then discovered Renoise. The native effects of Renoise IMO are well worth whatever hardship it takes learning the interface. I have no trouble at all making psytrance, though its only recently that Ive worked out all the bugs in my production style. The tracker tends to produce very quiet songs, so if you want to use it be sure to up the gain on the master track and EQ everything. Also the stereo expander works wonders for bringing out certain tracks. The automation feature is great, it gives that live-effect-modulation feel, and is VERY easy to understand. Renoise supports just about every VST I've ever downloaded, though I cant say Ive tryed any commercial VSTs with it, though Im sure it works just as well. I try and use only the native effects, as they are not really VST but DSP, IMO much better sounding.

What may I ask is the drawback to using samples? And why would that hinder making psy?

Renoise also has live recording, midi suppoirt, ASIO, etc... Cheap, effective, great sounding, just a bit more complex than Cubase or Reason.

hey thanks for the info dude. but its harder than cubase and reason???? wow i guess im in for a treat. ive been using eJay and thats just a drag and drop. and i heard that cubase is all hard ....soooooo hummmmm well when i download it can i come to you for questions about it cause i dought that i will be able to make anything w/ out help

thanks again PLUR

Well I can tell you that it works very well for me, though Ive been using trackers since '97 about, I started on Impulse, moved to Modplug then discovered Renoise.  The native effects of Renoise IMO are well worth whatever hardship it takes learning the interface.  I have no trouble at all making psytrance, though its only recently that Ive worked out all the bugs in my production style.  The tracker tends to produce very quiet songs, so if you want to use it be sure to up the gain on the master track and EQ everything.  Also the stereo expander works wonders for bringing out certain tracks.  The automation feature is great, it gives that live-effect-modulation feel, and is VERY easy to understand.  Renoise supports just about every VST I've ever downloaded, though I cant say Ive tryed any commercial VSTs with it, though Im sure it works just as well.  I try and use only the native effects, as they are not really VST but DSP, IMO much better sounding. 

What may I ask is the drawback to using samples?  And why would that hinder making psy?

Renoise also has live recording, midi suppoirt, ASIO, etc...  Cheap, effective, great sounding, just a bit more complex than Cubase or Reason.

323560[/snapback]

I'll help if I can, I learned by myself. My way of doing things might not be what someone else would do.

I use to use trackers long long ago. Impulse tracker. Trackers are great programs and give one control on the lowest level, with that said it sometimes takes a little longer to do things if one is new to tracking. Infected Mushroom started off using Impulse Tracker many many years ago, bue once they had money they moved to hardware and VST's in cubase, to the best of my knowledge. The problem with trackers was that the sound quality was not the greatest, that problem has been fixed with renoise.

Renoise uses samples or VST's. Samples can be put arranged into custom instruments, much like the NNXT on Reason.

You can make any style of music with Renoise, it is a good program.

All in all any program that uses VST's can sound like any other program that uses VST's it's just a matter of a front end to control it all.

For someone starting off Renoise may seem confusing and hard. I'd suggest starting off with Cubase or Reason if you are totally new and want a lower learning curve. I am currently working in Reason myself as I'm playing much of my music live . The combinator in Reason allows for live performance that I've not seen in other packages.

In the end, Cubase/Renoise/Reason can all give fantastic results if in the hands of a master of that program. Each one has it's quirky ups and downs.

Hope you get sorted and that you start making some fantastic tunes. :D

• 2 weeks later...

I am in love with Renoise