BIG question

RTP

Okaay ... now here comes a big question:

Many of you surely have heard of the discussion Vinyl versus CD, that CDs have a bad sampling rate and only vinyls actually reprodruce the true original sound because they don't have a sampling rate/it's infinitely big.

(people who are not familiar with this might be interested to look here: http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question487.htm )

However, my question: what "sampling rate" do cassette tapes have? Do they actually have any at all? I mean, the information is stored in magnetical way and such ... but how is it represented? Are the values of certain frequencies transmitted magnetically? I don't think so. In fact, I really become more and more of the opinion hat it would be logical that the cassette tapes present information in a way similar to vinyl - only not mechanically, but magnetical, thus I come to the conclusion that they too have an infinitely big sampling rate?

Anybody can enlighten me?

DON'T tell me what pwnz more, I know tapes might be lame because they lose quality fast and such yadda yadda, but I just wanna know about the sampling rate - if tere is any...

please...

Is there any sampling rate? Tapes use magnetic storage -> electric charge for storing the data sound..

I'm no tape expert btw :)

Is there any sampling rate? Tapes use magnetic storage -> electric charge for storing the data sound..

I'm no tape expert btw :)

312932[/snapback]

well, that's the point...

I can't see either why a tape should have such thing as a "sampling rate" ... I say it's like vinyl, only magnetic and not mechanic! A continuous stream, no sampling. Sampling is digital. Cassette tapes are analog - like vinyl...

Detailed info would be appreciated though...

I don't expect any tape experts here - music nowadays isn't on tapes anymore, it's CD and Vinyl...

Yes, Cinos ... we all know that dusty vinyls don't play well, that is because the signal is represented in physical state - tiny engravings on the record ... dust alters the physical way the needle goes - therefore the sound gets worse with time...

CDs don't have that ... but the sampling rate isn't high and therefore you don't have the original frequencies!

Vinyl have theoretically the real frequencies!

Standard audio cassettes don't have a sample rate because they're analogue. DAT do have a sample rate, because they're digital.

I have about 1600-1700 vinyls and 900 CDs, so I guess I prefer vinyls, but I'm obviously no CD-hater.

I have about 1600-1700 vinyls and 900 CDs, so I guess I prefer vinyls, but I'm obviously no CD-hater.

313326[/snapback]

:o

wow