Best Newschoolers...

seraph

retrotrance?

whatever happened with the term "goatrance"?

all this bitching about new artists that make good music, like .. "they're just imitating or copying other groups" can only make me sad. feel that way spindrift, it's your opinnion.

i think they make some pretty good damn music. sure, it may take you back to oldschool, but hell .. the element of "new" just screams its presence. else people wouldn't like them as much. or maybe we're all fools that know nothing? i doubt..

they're not oldschool, they're not newschool, they're just goatrance.

Spindrift, i think i'm becoming more and more curious to see what kind of music you produce. to see who you're "imitating", you know? do you have a link, a website? samples? anything?

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, moni, have you heard Mythical Vortex, compilation from Spindrift label Resonant Earth ?

It is pretty dark, sinister compilation with most songs that sound old school actually...so, maybe you are right Spindrift, I used wrong term, but since everyone are using it nowadays, I used it for the poll...Moni, if you like dark but psychedelic and with the pinch of old school, get Mythical Vortex compilation, it is very good... ;)

I hate it when you have an opinion about the music and people start "what about your music then?".

I guess quite a lot of the music I make sounds quite old in many ways.

It sure don't fit in so easily with much music today at least...but I guess it doesn't fit in an oldschool set either.

Anyways...who cares what you call it....there is loads you can check out for free at www.resonantearth.com and make up your own mind.

And I'm sorry to come off as opinionated on the subject....but I been living for the goatrance scene for more than 15 years so it's a subject I'm passionate about.

No offence to fans or producers....you are entitled to your opinion and taste....I'm just saying what I personally think.

And that is that from what heared from the acts mentioned here they lack depth and real psychedelic spirit, and that they seem more like retro acts than anything newschool or oldschool.

Again....except E-Mantra....his tracks really bring me in to party mode.

I hate it when you have an opinion about the music and people start "what about your music then?".

I guess quite a lot of the music I make sounds quite old in many ways.

It sure don't fit in so easily with much music today at least...but I guess it doesn't fit in an oldschool set either.

Anyways...who cares what you call it....there is loads you can check out for free at www.resonantearth.com and make up your own mind.

And I'm sorry to come off as opinionated on the subject....but I been living for the goatrance scene for more than 15 years so it's a subject I'm passionate about.

No offence to fans or producers....you are entitled to your opinion and taste....I'm just saying what I personally think.

313939[/snapback]

well, the "imitating" and "Eminem" things weren't very nice either. i just showed you others can be mean with you too. and as you said, you "hate it"...

i will check that link this evening. thank you.

and just as a note, i was curious about your music since long ago.

Transylvania Calling Festival :D

we were chilling on the dance floor, and they were making a joint, and then i said "hold on, i'll go get some beers from the bar", and that took like 20 minutes maybe, cause some people stopped me to talk and ask for some help.

and when i got back with the beers, i was very surprised to see they waited for me. and then we smoked happily, and i got so dizzy.

swiss people know their stuff i guess :D

ok, go ahead and work, but don't be a stranger :D

i am pretty bored of my job this summer.

313893[/snapback]

Hehe, nice story!! That's how we are!! B) At least the nice ones... Maybe they've allready smoked the other joint and made a new one until you were back?! ;)

Maybe they've allready smoked the other joint and made a new one until you were back?!  ;)

313967[/snapback]

Hahah, that is more likely knowing swiss guys... ;):P

well, the "imitating" and "Eminem" things weren't very nice either. i just showed you others can be mean with you too. and as you said, you "hate it"...

313964[/snapback]

From what I gathered there is at least a couple of the producers mentioned here that gladly admit that they are trying to make music just like their idols.

They sound like they imitate and they admit they imitate.

So I think I can agree with them and say they sound like imitations without being offensive.

The Eminem comparasion was just an example how it's the same in any scene.

My father was also complianing when I listen a bit to stuff like the Stone Roses and thought it sounded like a bad coverband from his days.

I'm getting oldish...so I'm allowed to do the same now....ok :)

And I don't hate if people discuss and critisize my music...I just don't like that as soon as you voice an opinion about styles of music or the industry you will always get comments about your production.

No so much any heavy critisism, but it's a bit like you should shut up and just do music and not have opinions on other peoples music.

Well....I do have opinions and will not shut up....and I'm glad if people have opinions about my music as well...both positive and negative.

My father was also complianing when I listen a bit to stuff like the Stone Roses and thought it sounded like a bad coverband from his days.

I'm getting oldish...so I'm allowed to do the same now....ok :)

313998[/snapback]

I cracked up when I read that about your father...it all goes in cycles and circles...I am sure that most of nowadays rock sound like a imitation of so many psy rock groups before... Stone Roses are great but I am sure that oldies will find it unoriginal in some ways...nevermind, that is why we have zillion of groups and new commers every day, to define and redefine the old structures of music...same goes for Bach, the original founder os PSYCHEDELIC music for me...and trance states now that sound so similar to it, no matter the general difference...;)

Hehe, nice story!! That's how we are!!  B)  At least the nice ones... Maybe they've allready smoked the other joint and made a new one until you were back?!  ;)

313967[/snapback]

i will ask them haha :)

From what I gathered there is at least a couple of the producers mentioned here that gladly admit that they are trying to make music just like their idols.

They sound like they imitate and they admit they imitate.

So I think I can agree with them and say they sound like imitations without being offensive.

And I don't hate if people discuss and critisize my music...I just don't like that as soon as you voice an opinion about styles of music or the industry you will always get comments about your production.

No so much any heavy critisism, but it's a bit like you should shut up and just do music and not have opinions on other peoples music.

Well....I do have opinions and will not shut up....and I'm glad if people have opinions about my music as well...both positive and negative.

313998[/snapback]

what can i say :)

do your thing.

If, as you state, all of those except filteria are worse than talpa, i won't take the time to explore them. Talpa is boring crap, i mean no atmosphere, melodies are trhe same through the album (except chill tracks) and the production is of the kind that never sounds pumping no matter how loud you play it... urrk.

Anyone agrees?

I've heard lots of good things and bad things about talpa and don't know it anymore...

have to find it out for myself preciously  :blink:

314994[/snapback]

He is pretty good, trust me...I even saw him live...even though he reminds an awful lot on Infected Mushroom at first, his new songs sound quite different and you can say he changed his style a little bit...;)

He is pretty good, trust me...I even saw him live...even though he reminds an awful lot on Infected Mushroom at first, his new songs sound quite different and you can say he changed his style a little bit...;)

315378[/snapback]

I'll trust on your judge seraph and check him out ;)

well

his debut album is good, but when i saw his live act i was a bit surprised to see that he played more new stuff. i was hoping to hear "First Ray Of Light" and stuff.

but then the tracks from his debut album are old material, the album just took longer to be released.

here's a little presentation i made for Talpa, for the festival (it's made from stuff i found about him online). just for you, Rain :)

"The man behind the Talpa project is Goran Juric, born in 1982 in Subotica, Serbia. His style is best described as melodic and sometimes dark, his sound has been labeled by many people as "nice in forests". His debut album - The Art Of Being Non (2004) - took a long time until it got released (actually it was released while Goran was in the army) but received good reviews. He is currently involved in a freestyle, down tempo music project. As far as we know, this project doesn't have a name yet.

"Talpa ... it's a tibetan form of thought that transforms one material shape to another one.""

Well, it's hard to make a choice like this... Really, it all depends on moods! :)

If you are on a party and you want to dance like a madman, FILTERIA!

If you like floating morning trance, GOASIA and LOST BUDDHA!

If you like raw psychedelic goa trance for the night, KA SOL!

If you like spiritual eastern/indian influenced ambient and goa trance, KHETZAL (soon the album will be released and I'm sure some people will be surprised by it)

TALPA I like too, specially the album! His new tracks were very orchestral indeed, a little like new Synsun album, and indeed Classical Mushroom, but less filled I think... It's a love it or hate it style :)

Anyway, there are more people making "new-school" or goa trance or old school or retrotrance lately (even the new Squaremeat fits in that category imo), I will post some more thoughts of me later, I had some promos that will point me in new directions I hope :)

just goatrance imo  :)

315850[/snapback]

Well, it is not pure goa trance in its true form...

And could you explain why don't you like it so much ?

You like Pleiadians, why are you bothered by this ?

:unsure:

Well, it is not pure goa trance in its true form...

And could you explain why don't you like it so much ?

You like Pleiadians, why are you bothered by this ?

:unsure:

315940[/snapback]

i also like pleiadians, but i think filteria's style is pretty different, sometimes cheesy, all tracks almost identical, becomes unintersting soon, let alone that most melodies are OVERUSED and very often feel unnecessary...

i also like pleiadians, but i think filteria's style is pretty different, sometimes cheesy, all tracks almost identical, becomes unintersting soon, let alone that most melodies are OVERUSED and very often feel unnecessary...

315962[/snapback]

Well, of course it is different, Pleiadians were ahead of their time, Filteria is just doing retrodelic thing, yes he does overuse some melodies but I like it cause he is presentning it passionately and you should be the first one to recognise it since he is greek and your people were always into epic structures... :P

Well, of course it is different, Pleiadians were ahead of their time, Filteria is just doing retrodelic thing, yes he does overuse some melodies but I like it cause he is presentning it passionately and you should be the first one to recognise it since he is greek and your people were always into epic structures... :P

315966[/snapback]

i just cant stand his style - sorry :D

i liked his track on the APSARA compilation more :)_