This weeks good covers

Trolsk

but what has it got to do with psytrance?

A lot of people in the scene and on this forum find Tribal Vision's brand of progressive trance to be psychedelic, me included.

What has it got in common with psytrtance covers?

Psy-trance has become a very broad genre by now, we've got everything from the crazy style of Deamon Tea and Gi'iwa to the dark music of Acidance and Manic Dragon to the polished progressive sound of Tribal Vision and Iboga, and tons of other styles inbetween. All these subgenres tend to have their own type of covers, so it's hard to find a lowest common denominator for psy-trance covers.

Why do you post it here?

401818[/snapback]

Because it's the "good covers" thread and I find it to be a good cover.

Originally it wasn't symmetric/kaleidoscopic actually =) I wouldn't say I made it as a direct tribute, but obviously Matsuri's design legacy has had an influence. I wanted to make something colourful and mesmerising that could represent the music well - I felt the last one got a bit too dark for the music, so I like this one better. And to do it in "classic goa style" was natural, but I wanted organic stuff rather than having it totally computer generated - analogue synthesizers need analogue graphics.

Goa trance aesthetics like this isn't perhaps the height of "good taste", but I can't help being a sucker for this sort of stuff, while at the same time appreciating the tribal vision designs.

Goa trance aesthetics like this isn't perhaps the height of "good taste", but I can't help being a sucker for this sort of stuff, while at the same time appreciating the tribal vision designs.

401876[/snapback]

Ditto!

Lame post of the day... Sorry! :rolleyes:

All these subgenres tend to have their own type of covers,

so it's hard to find a lowest common denominator for psy-trance covers.

401866[/snapback]

But yourself is doing exactly the opposite

You are the one, who makes the definition of what is the lowest common denominator

in psytrance-design. And the covers you don't like, simply don't fit to any of the genres?

Remember you wrote some day: "The Moon Unit cover is something I would expect to find on a cereal box." Why isn't this for example an own type of coverstyle to you, a genre?

A contradictory in your statements?

Posted Image

New Filteria by Ukiro.

401853[/snapback]

Can't he hire somebody who doesn't make generic fractal/caleidoscope ones? (no offense ukiro but there are way better fractals out there)

But then again the previous one was ugly as hell and misaligned, at least this is an improvement.

You are the one, who makes the definition of what is the lowest common denominator

in psytrance-design. And the covers you don't like, simply don't fit to any of the genres?

Remember you wrote some day: "The Moon Unit cover is something I would expect to find on a cereal box." Why isn't this for example an own type of coverstyle to you, a genre?

A contradictory in your statements?

401892[/snapback]

Posted Image

Can't he hire somebody who doesn't make generic fractal/caleidoscope ones? (no offense ukiro but there are way better fractals out there)

But then again the previous one was ugly as hell and misaligned, at least this is an improvement.

401899[/snapback]

I agree, What the hell is that for an ugly cover? The letters do not fit at all, the letters are for a minimal cover, while the cover is maximal... Also this is not even a nice fractal it's just "mirroring" on photoshop... I know for sure the music will be good, but Suntrip, try to ask the guy from the Khetzal cover again next time!

ps: normally I love fractalic covers :blink:

401899[/snapback]

This is not technically a caleidoscope effect, but I used the term caleidoscopic to refer to the mirrored style. And more importantly, it's not fractals - I think you need to look up what fractals are. Per definition they're not even graphics. So caleidoscope I can take, but don't call this fractals.

And the misalignment wasn't totally my fault =)

But if you don't like this design, thats fine. Just don't judge it by something it isn't trying to be.

I agree, What the hell is that for an ugly cover? The letters do not fit at all, the letters are for a minimal cover, while the cover is maximal... Also this is not even a nice fractal it's just "mirroring" on photoshop... I know for sure the music will be good, but Suntrip, try to ask the guy from the Khetzal cover again next time!

ps: normally I love fractalic covers  :blink:

401909[/snapback]

Again, it's not fractals. Do people even know what fractals are? I'm sorry to hear you dislike this so much, but I was personally not very excited about the Khetzal design, so tastes differ. Although I doubt you'll change your opinion completely, I think this needs to be seen in a bit higher resolution to be judged fairly.

This is not technically a caleidoscope effect, but I used the term caleidoscopic to refer to the mirrored style. And more importantly, it's not fractals - I think you need to look up what fractals are. Per definition they're not even graphics. So caleidoscope I can take, but don't call this fractals.

And the misalignment wasn't totally my fault =)

But if you don't like this design, thats fine. Just don't judge it by something it isn't trying to be.

403092[/snapback]

It's not completely un-fractal-like, wouldn't you agree? Even if it isn't technically a fractal, it looks at least a little bit like one.

btw. Just out of curiosity, did you create this one and the previous one from photos? Because I think I see oak leaves and water in the first. :)

It's not completely un-fractal-like, wouldn't you agree? Even if it isn't technically a fractal, it looks at least a little bit like one.

btw. Just out of curiosity, did you create this one and the previous one from photos? Because I think I see oak leaves and water in the first.  :)

403110[/snapback]

Well, the only thing resembling a fractal here is perhaps some small "vortices" (thats plural of vortex), but they're barely visible at all on the front.

And yes, they're made from photos. The oak-style patterns on the first album is actually flowers though. I chose to use "real" stuff as basic material for both album designs since this is music made with analogue synthesizers - for all-digital/software music you may be better off with 3D or photoshop-filter generated graphics, but doing it that way looks too sterile for this music IMHO.

Well, the only thing resembling a fractal here is perhaps some small "vortices" (thats plural of vortex), but they're barely visible at all on the front.

And yes, they're made from photos. The oak-style patterns on the first album is actually flowers though. I chose to use "real" stuff as basic material for both album designs since this is music made with analogue synthesizers - for all-digital/software music you may be better off with 3D or photoshop-filter generated graphics, but doing it that way looks too sterile for this music IMHO.

403116[/snapback]

Actually "Vortexes" works as well. Thanks for the info.