2) Compressing Time

3) African Soul

4) Brain Snake

5) Mind-dala

6) Timeline

7) Crystal Energy

8) Silver Clouds

9) Yellow Solar Human

I've got to admit I'm not hugely familiar with Mr Perculiar, I have a few of his tracks on various compilations and they have always been excellent so I was looking forward to hearing his artist album Mind-dala. I'm not sure what I expected from the release based on my scant knowlege but this isn't it.

Not better or worse, just different. What we've got hear is an incredibly solid and cohesive trance album, from the second it starts it oozes quality and the tracks seem to compliment each other so well that that - in the best possible way -

they really don't stand out, they are all that good. When I originally put the CD on the first half of the album flew by so effortlessly that I soon lost track of which tune I was on I was simply drifting on the sound. And here was me worrying that full-on producers had forgotten about the "trance" part of psytrance.

In fact, it wasn't until about two and a half minutes into Timeline (track 6) that I bothered to check where I was as a sublime riff built over one of the more chilled moments on the album before giving way to a clean guitar sound which picks it's way over the track in a style reminicent of Pink Floyd. I really couldn't believe at this point that I was two thirds of the way through the CD already.

It's really not worth me going through and describing Mind-dala track by track, that misses the point somewhat. You put track one on and want to listen to the whole thing. It's not about having 7 minutes to stand out on a compilation, it's a true artist album.

Just buy it. Especially if you liked the albums from the likes of Protoculture and Hydrophonic buy it right now.

- MonkeyDo

more reviews @ Sonic-energy.net

Not better or worse, just different. What we've got hear is an incredibly solid and cohesive trance album, from the second it starts it oozes quality and the tracks seem to compliment each other so well that that - in the best possible way -

they really don't stand out, they are all that good. When I originally put the CD on the first half of the album flew by so effortlessly that I soon lost track of which tune I was on I was simply drifting on the sound. And here was me worrying that full-on producers had forgotten about the "trance" part of psytrance.

Bloody well said.

This is silky smooth stuff, I'm reminded of Silicon Sound - pure analog, somewhat.

This has been rockin' and seducing my ears for days now! With Spring around the corner, it fits just nicely.

as far as I know he played a live last weekend in poland on moondalla festival...

anybody been there?

I wonder how did it go?

I haven't heard this album yet, but the word goes that this is a hell of a piece of music!!!

Remembering his work from Synchrosect, I guess there so risk at all B)

This is silky smooth stuff, I'm reminded of Silicon Sound - pure analog, somewhat.

305994[/snapback]

that statement creates more interest, I loved silicon sound pure analog when it was released back in the days... no so long ago ... 2 years I think :unsure:

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Mr. Peculiar – Mind-dala

Posted Image

Hi-res cover: front + back

Artist: Mr. Peculiar (Australia)

Title: Mind-dala

Format: CD (digipack)

Label: Sonic Dragon Records (Hong Kong)

Cat. #: SDRECCD03

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 15 July 2005

Track listing:

01. 08’17” Born On Mars

02. 08’28” Compressing Time

03. 07’26” African Soul

04. 07’40” Brainsnake

05. 07’43” Mind-Dala

06. 08’19” Timeline

07. 07’57” Crystal Energy

08. 06’43” Silver Clouds

09. 06’46” Yellow Solar Human

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/abhm5 (all tracks!)

Review:

Eclectic full-on!

This is the third album forged by Dustin Saalfield in his Peculiar Patterns Studio in Melbourne, Australia… Despite his rather large back-catalogue, I haven’t really heard much from this guy – but I’ve heard quite a lot of good things about his work… So I guess starting at the third album is as good a place as any to start…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Born On Mars

“Ever been to Mars? …I was born on Mars!” A harmonic, floating intro is soon shredded to bits by stark, dripping electronica and a solid full-on bassline… Tweaks, bleaks, drips and drops… And enough uplifting elements to crack a big old happy smile on your face… Yeah – this is full-on morning trance, but oh my – it’s so good! So subtle, so powerful, so phat… The climax part sends memories back to early IM or recent Protoculture choons… Powerful stuff!

#02: Compressing Time

“It’s just an illusion. It’s not real!” A short intro followed by a heavily compressed bassline + tons of melodic pads… It shows that this guy has really put a lot of effort into the rhythm section here… It’s instantly groovy and has a progressive trance touch to it… Think Gaudium or Antix and add some full-on morning sounds and you’re pretty close to the sound of this track… Generally I like it, although it’s not as potent as the previous track… Maybe even a little cheesy… Only a little though!

#03: African Soul

Flaring, floating full-on here – extremely melodic, and uplifting as fuck… The African touch isn’t too evident, but I’d like to think I can hear some rain-forest/savannah influences here… Again we’re in the better end of the full-on spectre – but it’s still not as good as the first track… I do like the acoustic touch though + the melodies + the crisp ‘n’ clean, distilled sound here… Fine track!

#04: Brainsnake

Feast on this tribal-slash-melodic, ass-shaking, foot-moving, head-bopping, quality piece of uplifting music …It’s like there’s a snake in your brain! …Well, maybe not, but this is most definitely a nice track! Very well-constructed and tasty…

#05: Mind-Dala

Welcome to full-on track construction 101 – this is how it’s done! Oh yes, this title track is exactly the reason why I never fully gave up on full-on… It’s still alive and thriving! Melodic yes, but it also has some harder elements (acid!) which I really take well to… This will work wonders both at home, but most definitely also on the dancefloor… Observe how the track evolves – it builds and builds until that final bit – and then the subtle come-down to regain your strength…

#06: Timeline

Oh my, now this is uplifting morning trance if there ever was uplifting morning trance… Again the Protoculture-comparison is an easy one to make… Also stuff like Silicon Sound, 12 Moons or early-morning Jaïa springs to mind… Beautiful floating melodies seasoned with more acoustic guitar, a progressive rhythm section + all kinds of soothing, placid filtering… All this without crossing over into cheesy territory… Now that’s impressive! A nice little track…

#07: Crystal Energy

We stay on the same, well-polished, take-chances full-on morning path here… Only this is slightly harder… I like it hard (no pun intended!) and where the previous track maybe lacked a little bite – this one has the bite… I really like the orchestral touch this track has – those massive, wall-to-wall reverbs go down really well… Yeah – this is one of the best tracks here!

#08: Silver Clouds

More morning trance fuel here… This is just as ultra-crisp and uplifting as the previous track, though perhaps a little less eclectic… The soft, calm voices floating in the background would normally piss me off, but not in this track… It all comes together so well here… The perfect soundtrack for the exact moment the first ray of sunlight breaks through the silver clouds… Another very well produced track!

#09: Yellow Solar Human

The last track is another exposure of high quality full-on – Mr. Peculiar breaks out the last batch of well-polished, dancefloor approved trippy elements… Spicy full-on designed to boost the energy level of people who have danced the night away… Subtle, melodic, danceable morning trance – that never gets tiresome! Sweet track!

What a remarkably nice album! Yes, this is good full-on morning trance! I’ve often bashed full-on for being formulaic, predictable and boring… But this is so very far from being boring – this is highly eclectic and evolving… And extremely well-produced! It’s all good – but the best thing is, that this doesn’t cross over into clubby, commercial cheese… Nice going Mr. Saalfield!

The album was released back in July 2005, but I don’t see it as a summer album per se… No way – this will works wonders 365 days a year for years to come… Obviously there are tracks I like better than others, but in general terms the quality level is very, very impressive here… There are no bad tracks, and the favourite tracks are little wonders on their own… Mr. Peculiar also made the beautiful artwork here - I see it as a picture of a person with thousands of thoughts/ideas/sounds emerging from that person’s mind… This fits the music perfectly!

Morning trance aficionados should not be without this album, nor should fans of intelligent, uplifting full-on… It’s pretty damn great… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!!), 5(!), 6, 7(!!), 8, 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Sonic Dragon: http://www.sonic-dragon.com

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/490300

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/azrcu

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/8bt6b

Wakyo: http://tinyurl.com/cxfpz

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/8qfks

Juno: http://tinyurl.com/dlvfh

I must agree with the comments above. Really smooth album with great power. Not much hype around this though?

Actually, the comment above about Silicon Sound - Pure Analog is what made me check this out. I got it and can't say I'm dissappointed with any tracks. It's all good. A great album to listen to start to finish.

In my opinion, it's not like Silicon Sound, but if you like that sound, then you'll probably like this, if that makes sense.

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

This is one of my favorite morning full-on albums, along with Psydrop - Fantasy Seeds, Intergalactic - The Future and a few others.

As others have pointed out, this is a really smooth release, it never gets annoying, it never gets boring and it never requires a too big part of your concentration, something characteristic for smooth music, I feel.

• 6 months later...