Pioneer CDJ-100 vs CDJ 200

Pioneer CDJ-200 is 100 USD more expensive than the CDJ-100s.

As far as I know the only difference (main difference at least) would be:

1. CDJ200 plays MP3 CDs.

2 CDJ200 Pitch vaires 0.02% vs 0.1% from CDJ100.

Any experienced DJs have anything to comment on that?

Is it worth it paying $100 USD for the CDJ-200?

Pioneer CDJ-200 is 100 USD more expensive than the CDJ-100s.

As far as I know the only difference (main difference at least) would be:

1. CDJ200 plays MP3 CDs.

2 CDJ200 Pitch vaires 0.02%  vs 0.1% from CDJ100.

Any experienced DJs have anything to comment on that?

Is it worth it paying $100 USD for the CDJ-200?

303249[/snapback]

i would never buy an mp3 cd player

cuz it will make you lazy and evil

hehe

Who the hell cares about mp3s anyway? Ignore that feature, I do.

Any DJ worth hearing will surely recognize what good a greatly increased pitch resolution is. Need I explain why it is worth the money?

The downsides... the CDJ-200 is actually not as well made as the 100. It isn't as sturdy. The pitch control is sticky in spots - a mark of low quality. You can be trying to get 0.72 and always end up at 0.70 or 0.74 until you hold it down and really force it to be in the middle there. That sucks. Everything feels cheap and plastic, especially the jog wheel. It may look pretty with those new blue lights but the 200 isn't the workhorse the 100 is. I've seen a 100 that accidentally caught fire still in use at parties, melted knobs and everything. I don't think the 200 would last five seconds.

That being said I did sell my 100s and pick up 200s because I am making mixes at home, and 0.1% pitch resolution totally sucks. It's a trade-off.

Any DJ worth hearing will surely recognize what good a greatly increased pitch resolution is. Need I explain why it is worth the money?

The downsides... the CDJ-200 is actually not as well made as the 100. It isn't as sturdy. The pitch control is sticky in spots - a mark of low quality. You can be trying to get 0.72 and always end up at 0.70 or 0.74 until you hold it down and really force it to be in the middle there. That sucks. Everything feels cheap and plastic, especially the jog wheel. It may look pretty with those new blue lights but the 200 isn't the workhorse the 100 is. I've seen a 100 that accidentally caught fire still in use at parties, melted knobs and everything. I don't think the 200 would last five seconds.

That being said I did sell my 100s and pick up 200s because I am making mixes at home, and 0.1% pitch resolution totally sucks. It's a trade-off.

303313[/snapback]

So you're saying the only good thing about the 200's is the pitch resolution.

I sort of agree on that, but I just TRIED to match a few tracks on a pair of CDJ-800 my brother owns.

For a beginner with enough cash to buy any of them is the 100 extra-dollars on each deck actually worth it because of the MP3 feature (I'll be PRACTICING at home, few CDs, loads of tracks) and the pitch resolution?

You must consider that I can sell them FAST and with PROFIT (at least 20% I'd say) in Brazil if I want to upgrade to other deck or simply buy the workaholic CDJ-100s.

So you're saying the only good thing about the 200's is the pitch resolution.

I sort of agree on that, but I just TRIED to match a few tracks on a pair of CDJ-800 my brother owns.

For a beginner with enough cash to buy any of them is the 100 extra-dollars on each deck actually worth it because of the MP3 feature (I'll be PRACTICING at home, few CDs, loads of tracks) and the pitch resolution?

You must consider that I can sell them FAST and with PROFIT (at least 20% I'd say)  in Brazil if I want to upgrade to other deck or simply buy the workaholic CDJ-100s.

303319[/snapback]

i dont think the extra pitch is TOO important

you only really need that if you are planning to sit back and let your mixes play.

but in reality most of your mixes are going to need constant fine-tuning with the jog wheel.

depends on your style i guess.

if you are a progressive beat matching nazi, who refuse to mix any less than 2 minuts, then spend the extra $

You can call that being a nazi, I call it being a high-quality DJ. Even with the extra rez you still need to fine tune things - this isn't analog. It's impossible to get it exact! But it sure will help improve the quality of your mixes - something which you are indicating isn't a priority it seems...

Pitch resolution and interface are the only things you're really paying for. The rest of it - effects and other features - is just the icing on the cake. The 100s will be fine for any beginner but if you mix outside of 145bpm or thereabouts you will eventually get quite frustrated with having to "ride the pitch". When you don't have to be constantly babysitting a deck with shitty pitch resolution you can keep your hands free for the smooth coordination of other activities - adjusting volume and EQ for example. It's worth having that freedom imho.

303313[/snapback]

100 % true !!!

In about 4 hours I couldn't match beats properly (after opening both channels and letting them play together for a few seconds they start to overlap...)..

I'm not saying I don't like quality. As you said. Pitch/Beat matching is a basic need for ANY DJ. No matter if he/she plays low-class psy or picks house or hip hop. It's a must.

If you can't match.. you can't say you're a DJ.

But I'm talking about the very beginning.

Where I don't intend to do it perfectly.

My goal is to mix well enough to play at small parties, enjoying myself and playing well enough so that the crowd won't miss a step on their dancing, and the non-pros won't tell I might have missed a kick.

So basically I'm about learning the very basic so I can use the knowledge to motivate myself and dive in head first on mastering the technique the best possible way. Play like a real PRO.. But it should be hard to just practice and practice. So I want to be able to perform, feel the crowd and learn with my own mistakes.. see my failures and perfect them at home...

But that takes practice, practice and a lot of experience. I would say at least 2-3 years of constant practice to become what my goal is.

A GOOD DJ, even if just as a hobby.

I believe I'll go for the CDJ 100 for now and then.. well.. "in the long term we'll be all dead" (Keynes)

hmm. i didnt realize how big the difference in pitch adjusting is.

i thought it was only .01% different.

after looking at various stats

that said I would choose the CDJ200 over the 100

CDJ100 0.10%

CDJ200 0.02%

CDJ800 0.05%

CDJ1000 0.02%

but ultimately i'd take the CDJ 800 over them all ;)

they are so friggin cool

and the 4x loop buttons are perfect for mixing full-on psy

Yip the new CDJ's sure do look tempting :)

But then again most of the tracks produced nowadays are 140 bpm, 142, 144, 145 etc. So 0.10% is no problem. If speeds of tracks were like 141.250 and 143.850 it would make more sense to have greater pitch resolution.

Sure, it's not perfect on the 100s, but that's where a little help from the jog dial comes in. We are DJ's.... we gotta WORK for our money!

I saw the 200's in a shop on Saturday. There was a demo model and it was trashed. Falling apart. Looked like shit and definately didn't look dj-proof! I thought it was a cheap rip-off of the 100s and then I noticed the Pioneer logo :( They don't look very well engineered.

Go with the 100s, you can't go wrong. I have had mine for 6 years and they are still solid and never let me down!

EDIT: MYLO Rocks Pioneer CDJ 100s at a party in Cape Town :P (below)

v v v v v v

Alright.. I've decided I will go for the CDJ-100s.

It's 200 bucks cheaper (100 on each deck).

Do any of you guys have any recommendation on MIXERS?

I'm looking for a 2-channel mixer, hopefully with beat counter.

The counters aren't always precise, but I believe they can come in handy for a beginner.

Opinions? Suggestions for a mixer?

The DJM-300 are about 270 US-dollars.

The counters aren't always precise, but I believe they can come in handy for a beginner.

303557[/snapback]

I have Stanton SMX501 mixer, and it is very good, it has not counter, but i think it is better start without bpm counter. It has 3 stereo channels with 3 bands eq, and 2 mono for mics. It has master balanced outputs, master outputs, both outputs and record outputs, send and return channel to fx unit. The sound is clear. And It is not expensive.

303557[/snapback]

Most of the time.. beat counters are worth shit so don't focus on those! if you really want to master mixing you should learn to mix with your ears, its hard in the beginning but it will help you a lot ;)

And th DJM-300 is a decent mixer.. at the moment I own a pair of CDJ's 100 and a JBSYSTEM classic 3 mixer, and it works very well.. I can't recommend any good mixers though, I don't know many :)

303557[/snapback]

I have already posted this, but try this Behringer :

Posted Image

prices range between $80-$120, so shop around for the best price.

Great mixer, ultra-low noise, great cue function, bpm counter x2 and 3 Channels! Infact I have ordered one and get it in 3 days, hopefully! When Iwent to the store they were sold out of stock! So there you have it!

Behringer Pro Mixer DM 626

( They have a Spanish version of the website too! )

If this hasn't convinced you then look at the Numark site!

good luck.

But then again most of the tracks produced nowadays are 140 bpm, 142, 144, 145 etc. So 0.10% is no problem. If speeds of tracks were like 141.250 and 143.850 it would make more sense to have greater pitch resolution.

Sure, it's not perfect on the 100s, but that's where a little help from the jog dial comes in. We are DJ's.... we gotta WORK for our money!

303496[/snapback]

See, this is what I don't get. You're advocating a piece of equipment that is convenient for music of a partciular BPM range. You realize how crazy that sounds? If you want to play with some proggy stuff and try to keep it smooth with the 100s you're going to find you'll be riding the pitch like all the fucking time, and whatever you might say about "work for our money" what it comes down to is that a technological limitation is hampering your abilities.

I think it's worth the extra 100USD - the 200s are entry level just as the 100s are - they aren't pro decks or something. And it's not going to take anyone 2-3 years to pick up the beatmatching - that's a process of about a month nowadays. It wouldn't make sense to pick up 100s and then be ready to go beyond them in a handful of months.

See, this is what I don't get. You're advocating a piece of equipment that is convenient for music of a partciular BPM range. You realize how crazy that sounds?

303599[/snapback]

Maybe I need to explain myself a little better. I WASN'T TALKING ABOUT BPM RANGE! But rather the fact that the speeds are "rounded off". ie 142.0

... whatever :P

Basilisk it sounds like you're very stuck on your 200's. Good for you. I am sure they rock just as much. And maybe in the future I too will move over to them BUT I WILL NEVER DO A 2 MIN PROGRESSIVE TRANSITION :lol::lol::lol: I play like 2-3 prog tracks if necessary. A whole set is just too boring :lol: But each to his own, and each to his own tools!

I mix with a 1min overlap mostly. And have been playing on cdj 100's for 6 years, and I have yet to see 200's setup at a club or party.

Hmmm.. I never had problems with mixing prog stuff on my CDJ-100's ? Although they might be 'beginners' level CDJ's.. they still do their work really good!

303615[/snapback]

Word!

I played prog for 3 years on 100's and never missed a beat!

Haha Basilisk is convincent, but on the other hand I only see CDJ-100's out on the streets... so I ask myself if anything better is really worth the money.

All trance festivals only have 100's.

Solaris, Full Moon, VooV... All top raves in Brazil..

So I will change the focus on the topic:

Should I spend extra on a GOOD mixer?

Basilisk, I accept recommendations *anything below 300 USD in the US*

By the Behringer Mixer and spend extra on good music! ;)

303649[/snapback]

I'll spend on the mixer and get Psynews' people tracks to practice with ;) haha

Enhance that kick mark, fellas hehe

Should I spend extra on a GOOD mixer?

Basilisk, I accept recommendations *anything below 300 USD in the US*

303635[/snapback]

this is my set up. i love this picture. i just took it

Posted Image

Numark DXM06

killer sound quality, 24bit

nice effects!

plus it looks cool

i highly recommend this instead of behringer

this will cost about $250 US

2 channel with 4 inputs

you can even plug a guitar into it :ph34r:

this is my set up.  i love this picture.  i just took it

Numark DXM06

killer sound quality, 24bit

nice effects!

plus it looks cool

i highly recommend this instead of behringer

this will cost about $250 US

2 channel with 4 inputs

you can even plug a guitar into it  :ph34r:

303718[/snapback]

I think it looks ugly as hell LOL

I like the old-fashioned mixers.. ;)

Just to add to some confusion about the pitch resolution:

You can calculate that a 0.7% pitch change is around the same as 1 BPM (when the speed is 140BPM). Now, this doesn't work exactly when you go too far, eg. adding 7.0% definetely does not make it go 10 BPM faster!

But anyhow, since most of your tracks are around 140-148 BPM, you can get a very quick rough position on the speed while beatmatching by keeping both decks running at increments of 0.7% on the pitch faders. And then yes, by all means, start to fiddle with it when it's going off.

Good luck!

miKe