Wat's the best software to make psytrance?

I use Reason most of the time, I find it much easier to get what I want quickly and that kind of keeps the ideas flowing. It's possible to get some really good stuff with it.

That said, it's mixing engine isn't a patch on the Cubase or Logic one, so once I've written a track, I'll export all the channels as wavs, including whatever effects, and stick them in Cubase to mix and pan them, and add any VSTi's I need. :)

I find cubase hammers my CPU :rolleyes: , and I can't rack up anywhere nearly as many instruments as I can in Reason (I've had 25 + synths/samplers going in Reason before :blink: ), but my computer falls over with 10 or more VSTis in cubase which I find restrictive..... <_<

Albino 2 Rules!!!! Also, Kontakt is quality.

This is The Prophet - I have been making Psy for a while and have come through Fruity loops and Reason. I'm now using Cubase SE but I'm not getting the sound I want. I have a vst synth called Yellow Jacket as well as too many fx. What is the best way to get a psy base? What order do I use fx (compressor-eq-expander-....)

Is the synth crap?

Dude, the best thing is to follow your heart!!

Indeed, thats the best advice :) Use whatever you're most comfortable with and most interested in, good music isn't up to the program to make, its up to you :)

And for those doubting FL, this track and all subsequent tracks of that project (working on 2 right now) are produced entirely in FL.

What is the best way to get a psy base

Muon Tau and some EQ works wonders :)

I use Renoise tracker, Ive been using trackers since Impulse, I love it, it can do more than I ever dreamed a tracker could do. a bit awkward if youve never used a tracker.

Ive managed to get a good bass from Steinbergs Neon, with compression, filter, eq, sometimes an expander.

Indeed, thats the best advice :) Use whatever you're most comfortable with and most interested in, good music isn't up to the program to make, its up to you :)

And for those doubting FL, this track and all subsequent tracks of that project (working on 2 right now) are produced entirely in FL.

Muon Tau and some EQ works wonders :)

364430[/snapback]

Hey Synogen this music is great, and the quality is awsome too. A really really good job on Fruity :)

Now tell me

Did you use one of the Fruity generators to creat this track (Like TS404 and 3x osc for ex) or did you made it on hardwares or VST and used Fruity just for sequencing and EQ, mixing etc?

I ask this because i could never get any real quality sounds from the fruity generators, no matter how hard i tryed, well except from Sytrus maybe

• 3 weeks later...

I've been thinking about this for a long time... Are there really ANY hard, not opinion-based facts on this FLStudio issue? I mean, I'm using FLStudio 5, practically all of my sounds come from external VSTi:s and I use only some of FLStudio's better effects. Is there really some way that FLStudio just makes things sound worse than other sequencers, speaking of sound quality? I find the FLStudio working environment quite pleasant. Have tried some CUBase, but didn't see an advancement using that one.

Yesterday I was told that FLStudio adds noise to every mixer channel you add. Meaning, you would get an awfully blurry mix if you used all 64 channels. Any truth on this? If so, why haven't I ever heard this before?

You can check a couple of my newer tunes @ http://celluloid.oletustila.net and tell me is there something in the sound quality or whatever that you can blame on FLStudio. Don't bother with the older ones but listen to Stepgnome and Vyleeeem.

Is there really some way that FLStudio just makes things sound worse than other sequencers, speaking of sound quality?

385485[/snapback]

Yes.

Me and a friend made some loops in FL, exported it to wav and put it in cubase.

It immediately sounded better.

• 4 years later...

Started using Fruityloops Studio in 2003, still hold it very close in my music making tools :P

CPU is really the only problem, it will make noise if your VSTs are changed a lot and or they eat quite a

bit out of your CPU power. It really depends if your wanting to get the highest quality sound possible, FL

may not be the absolute star in quality but, again its not the software you use its the user of the

software.

Making the most out of your audio creating experiences is to probably have a PC only for you to create on.

Not a cheap alternative for many, but it will save you a whole lot of time and hassle in the long run.

Reason is a really great program but it does lack the VST use, quality of the sound is kinda difficult to

say as i have never compared it to FL.

Cubase is a pro software and is awesome for arranging and mixing and such, but to create tracks entirely

within it proves quite difficult and does require a lot of time and though into learning it and fitting it

to your musical needs.

I honestly couldn't tell you want to use and what not to, but i can say do what you want, its very

difficult to please other peoplewith something you create as there are some things people may not like,

but thats not to say its crap or unfit for listening.

if it sounds great to you then its probably the same to some others!

Best of luck

eJay is out of business now btw, wonder how that happened :P

Bo0M!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

FL is a very nice starter tool for people to get to know what a DAW can do. Thing is, FL covers a lot basics... but it's missing a lot of flexibility. It's hard to change to another DAW, but download some demo versions and try them out for a couple of days to make sure which one suits you better. I myself am using ableton, and it takes a lot of effort to get to learn it, but when you've mastered the learning part... you will be getting SO much out of it. Possibilities become endless so to speak.

• 1 month later...

Although I am an Fl user I always had an attraction towards Reason. Bcos it's synts sounds so good and really analogish. But that problem was over after the arrival of sylenth1 Vst. They have even made it look like the synth in Reason.

• 1 month later...

Best "software" to make psytrance - your brain, heart, soul and life experiences. No mater what kind of sequencer you will be use. Try all available DAW's and make a choice what will be more comfortable for you.

I agree.

• 2 months later...

Indeed, thats the best advice Posted Image Use whatever you're most comfortable with and most interested in, good music isn't up to the program to make, its up to you Posted Image

Muon Tau and some EQ works wonders Posted Image

Yeah, great stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Posted Image

Generally I use a lot of Toxic Biohazard, Zeta, for leads n stuff, and the ABLs for bass

ABL is excellent for Bass , can I also recommend it for Acid lines? It was made for that! :)

Great list of synthesizers.