Wat's the best software to make psytrance?

It doesnt matter. Ever heard of Burial? Amazing music. Made on Sound Forge on an old 486. Music comes from the heart, not the tools. Play the melody in your head, then put it down on anything.

Personally, I use Ableton, but its really irrelevant. There are people out there using fucking Acid Pro and FL studio that are tearing up the fucking scene. Its about whats in your heart. It has almost nothing to do with the gear you use.

• 11 months later...

I use ableton and FL studio

personally I find ableton easier to use

however, I have fun using both

The DAW is irrelevant

its the user.

I've seen seasick steve play a plank of wood with one guitar string on it and it sounded amazing.

Its all to do with the person using it, and how much effort you want to put in.

Try a few demos and work out how much you are willing to pay really.

FL studio is relatively cheap and you get updates for life which is a great deal.

• 3 weeks later...

Not many people mention Ableton Live...I am a Cubase user but I started learning Ableton Live. I found the interface ok, but I had to stop because Ableton Live doesn't support sysex (other than with Max4Live), and this is a no-go for me, as I use sysex to control my external hardware. How could I control, say, an MKS-7 with no sysex support...In this regard, Cubase is wonderful with its device panels.

I'm searching for Indian instruments to sound like Shakta & Moonweed - Micronesia (1:04:56), I found MOTU Ethno Instrument 2, and the Roland SR-JV80-14 Asia sound board. Any other suggestion to have nice tablas and sitar? :)

I bought a Super JV a month ago (it's pretty cheap), and there are great sitar samples and other ethnic sounding stuff (percussion/strings) in that module, I love it. :)

I couldn't disagree more. Ableton has major sound quality issues that you wouldn't encounter with logic or Cubase etc.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/126945-ableton-live-sound-quality.html

"major"

How many of us are so experienced and have a top notch studio that they can hear the difference between the same mix out of different DAW's? I know FL more than 7 years, Pro Tools 3 years (postproduction) and I wouldn't tell. And I think that counts for most of us bedroom producers.

Besides, it also depends if you use plugins or if you do it with hardware, what kind of hardware/plugins you use, instruments, workflow, ...

I bought a Super JV a month ago (it's pretty cheap), and there are great sitar samples and other ethnic sounding stuff (percussion/strings) in that module, I love it. :)

Yes, I do too (XV-5080), and soon with the Asia SR-JV-14 board (waiting for the seller to come by and deliver it to me). These SR-JV boards are a gold mine :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

don't waste any more time with Fruitypoops!

Get onto Cubase or Logic immediately!

Why? I heard that a lot of time, but I don't think so... I think that Fl Studio is amazing software and that low DAW quality is just a myth.

I think that it depends of plugins, your mix, volume etc. For example, we have in Fl Studio plugin; Fruity Reeverb and it makes some bad noise in the background... I don't use that plugin.

And ofc, mastering is very important too :)

True, but an outstanding mix requires much less processing in mastering. I believe that's what Padmapani is getting at.

exactly. in a hypthetical, ideal case, the mastering engineer should only have to raise it to the desired level of loudness (and get it ready to be pressed on cd).

In fact, that's what mastering originally was: producing a master disc from which records were pressed. The mastering engineer never did processing other than applying the EQ curve that vinyl records are made with. Later on mastering engineers started doing some processing, which is more appropriately called "pre-mastering".

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Do some of you have experience with Cubase 7 and a laptop computer? How does it perform? What specs do you have? I'm thinking about having such setup but I'm afraid about performance.

I have been using Cubase 7 on my laptop for a while with no major issues.

I am running i7 1.60 (very old), 8GB Ram 250gb SSD drive (made loads of difference to performance) 64bit Windows 7.

• 1 month later...