Ampliflier - Underground [SAMPLE]

Shaft

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one geeza ;)

As always, some CONSTRUCTIVE critism :) Let me begin by saying that this is all imho. I only crit stuff where I feel I can truly give advice and actually like the genre of music to begin with. I am more than familiar with this type of sound and can see where you are aiming at. So..

1. Bass - Maybe a little less emphasis on the melody of the bassline. With a little less up and down the scale, and a little more groove. Just a step away from melodic towards monotony. ( ref: Sphongle basslines ) Maybe drop out a bass hit somewhere so the bass sets off a bit against your drums. I guess what I'm saying here is less note variation more groove. I would also make it a touch louder in the mix.

2. Synths - great melodies but the synths aren't as attractive as they could be. By this I mean the "patches". Especially the pad-type synth that runs during most of the piece. But if it is Garage Band you are using I realise the synths are a tad limited. If you are aiming for these type of synth sounds perhaps add some reverb and maybe some more delay to get those synths really deep and dreamy. Right now they are a bit too "up-front" and flat in the in the track.

3. Can't comment on structure because it's only 3 min. But I'm sure when you reach 6min mark or so you'll have a better perspective of your ideal structure, length of breaks, what goes where etc.

But my biggest piece of advice is to move off Garage Band and get into Logic. Fast! A hardware synth could also give you more colours to paint with.

Ben, you have more than displayed your feeling, understanding and your musical talent in this piece. You can hear you have a good ear and an understanding of music. I hear serious potential. I realise you are starting out and stuff but you are seriously ahead of the curve. Get pro tools to match your evident talent and you'll be pro in no time.

I like it :D otherwise I wouldn't have written all these wordz :D . Hope it's clear enough and you can get something out of it. Keep it up bro ;)

1. Bass  - Maybe a little less emphasis on the melody of the bassline. With a little less up and down the scale, and a little more groove. Just a step away from melodic towards monotony.

2. But if it is Garage Band you are using I realise the synths are a tad limited. If you are aiming for these type of synth sounds perhaps add some reverb and maybe some more delay to get those synths really deep and dreamy. Right now they are a bit too "up-front" and flat in the in the track.

3. Can't comment on structure because it's only 3 min. But I'm sure when you reach 6min mark or so you'll have a better perspective of  your ideal structure, length of breaks, what goes where etc.

But my biggest piece of advice is to move off Garage Band and get into Logic. Fast! A hardware synth could also give you more colours to paint with.

Ben, you have more than displayed your feeling, understanding and your musical talent in this piece. You can hear you have a good ear and an understanding of  music. I hear serious potential. I realise you are starting out and stuff but you are seriously ahead of the curve. Get pro tools to match your evident talent and you'll be pro in no time.

I like it  :D otherwise I wouldn't have written all these wordz :D . Hope it's clear enough and you can get something out of it. Keep it up bro ;)

322316[/snapback]

1. Okay, cool. I need to work on my basslines! :)

2. The synths are actually both Garageband AND Green Oak's Crystal. My problem is:

i) Money for buying synths (though in Logic you get plenty so that shouldn't be a problem)

ii) PROGRAMMING the synths. This is the hardest bit for me - usually I'm just randomly switching around dials - or using randomise.

Yeah, deep and dreamy is what I'm looking for.

3. Hehe, yeah. I'll see about releasing some full length stuff to you guys when I've sent a few promos out. We'll see.

Yes, I am starting out in the field of synthesising and writing ambient tracks but I have been composing from about 14.... :)

Right now I'm trying to find a job which will pay for:

a ) Firewire audio interface

b ) Dynamic microphone (so I can record percussion / ambience, possibly piano but I'll probably need a condenser for that!)

c ) Logic Pro 7

d ) Possibly a powerbook for Logic, my current setup is pretty underpowered for that.

Thanks for the words! :D

• 1 month later...
  • 5 years later...