This weeks stupid covers

NT

Yeah.. I wonder who comes up with these ideas :lol: :lol:

quite a few alternative and electro releases seem to have pretty goodlooking covers. Psytrancecovers these days fell like 90's eurotrance or something... :unsure:

And where's the originality... That talamasca cover is again one of the most used ideas. Half a face on the left side... bleh...booring. I wouldn't buy it even if it was a new super dooper shpongle release just because the cover is so dull and forced.

This makes you look like you're into psy for the coolness and underground factor and not because of the music. Way to go... :P;)

Guest antic

This makes you look like you're into psy for the coolness and underground factor and not because of the music. Way to go... :P;)

No, it means he'd rather kill himself than to see that CD on his shelve.

And I understand it - I always feel uncomfortable when I buy good music with crappy cover. :)

No, it means he'd rather kill himself than to see that CD on his shelve.

And I understand it - I always feel uncomfortable when I buy good music with crappy cover. :)

Why? I mean I also prefere nice covers (I love them in fact) but I don't feel like I'm put down by a bad cover.

Guest antic

Why? I mean I also prefere nice covers (I love them in fact) but I don't feel like I'm put down by a bad cover.

Hard to explain really :)

For me the album / compilation is a complete product - I pay for good music AND for nice cover (otherwise I would be buying from iTunes etc.). If one of those elements is missing, I feel somehow ripped off. Of course the music itself is much more important a factor for me, but some sort of discomfort remains if the cover / design is crappy... Then of course I'm pretty flexible when it comes to judging the artwork - I can understand a vision I don't particularly agree with or the technique I don't like. Just can't stand amateurish, clichéd and no-thought-behind generic stuff. Especially for artist albums.

:)

Hard to explain really :)

For me the album / compilation is a complete product - I pay for good music AND for nice cover (otherwise I would be buying from iTunes etc.). If one of those elements is missing, I feel somehow ripped off. Of course the music itself is much more important a factor for me, but some sort of discomfort remains if the cover / design is crappy... Then of course I'm pretty flexible when it comes to judging the artwork - I can understand a vision I don't particularly agree with or the technique I don't like. Just can't stand amateurish, clichéd and no-thought-behind generic stuff. Especially for artist albums.

:)

Now that's an explanation I understand, thanks for clearing that up! :)

Im not that much into psy at all anymore as it has been ages since I bought an psy album. I couldn' t care less for underground or coolness factors either... It's not some show off thingy. I enjoy good art, and in my eyes, it really affects the whole product, a bit like antic also explained. The covers don' t necessarily have to be good according to my taste, but I' d like to see SOME effort in making them and not something that my grandmother would be able to produce in Photoshop. Ofcoure the music might be good without good covers, but I find that that I really struggle to buy the ones that look like shit. Ofcourse me working in the graphics field may also affects how I wiew these things. And as antic said, I like to look at my collection too :)

The way I see it is: if you do anything, do it good. Why make a superb album and wrap it up in something that looks awful... Let' s not kid our selves here.. these are not some underground and cool albums that are passed around among a small group of people anymore. These are albums that people and labels actually want to sell! First impression is very important for a lot of people. If you want to stand out and actually sell the album I think that a good looking cover will help a lot more than an ugly one. ;)

As I've allready said about Antic's comment, that's an explanation that makes sense to me. :)

But in the end good-looking is a matter of taste too. A lot of covers posted in this thread are imho an outcome of that mentality that labels/artists want to sell. Like the Spliff It Up cover or the Talamasca cover, boring standart "art"-work not linked too much with psyculture anymore. I'm still a sucker for covers with phantasy and multi-colored stuff.

As I've allready said about Antic's comment, that's an explanation that makes sense to me. :)

But in the end good-looking is a matter of taste too. A lot of covers posted in this thread are imho an outcome of that mentality that labels/artists want to sell. Like the Spliff It Up cover or the Talamasca cover, boring standart "art"-work not linked too much with psyculture anymore. I'm still a sucker for covers with phantasy and multi-colored stuff.

Yes, you are absolutely right that good looking is a matter of taste. I also like the multi colored covers atleast in Psy/Goa. I think those reflect the music quite well sometimes. And as I stated, I always respect effort. With the Spliff it up and Talamasca covers I find it hard to think that they have put a lot of effort in these covers... Those both ideas have been seen on hundreds of covers before. Nothing new, nothing "own", nothing I find attractive. Even if they want to attract bigger crowds, they need to stand out. They are competeing with a even bigger bunch then.

Yes, you are absolutely right that good looking is a matter of taste. I also like the multi colored covers atleast in Psy/Goa. I think those reflect the music quite well sometimes. And as I stated, I always respect effort. With the Spliff it up and Talamasca covers I find it hard to think that they have put a lot of effort in these covers... Those both ideas have been seen on hundreds of covers before. Nothing new, nothing "own", nothing I find attractive. Even if they want to attract bigger crowds, they need to stand out. They are competeing with a even bigger bunch then.

Yeah I agree! To me it seems that they just lean on other commercial albums that sell well (from other styles I mean) and imitated them to look commercial or professional. Which they do but at the same time they are also very boring so I doubt that strategy will be successfull.

Yeah I agree! To me it seems that they just lean on other commercial albums that sell well (from other styles I mean) and imitated them to look commercial or professional. Which they do but at the same time they are also very boring so I doubt that strategy will be successfull.

Exactly How I feel :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have yet to see any good covers involving shaman, shiva, or any form of bom shankar baba stuff

Posted Image

wow. that's amazing <_<

Posted Image

said the musician to the designer, "i would like some photoshop filters on my album cover please, thanks."

Posted Image

I have yet to see any good covers involving shaman, shiva, or any form of bom shankar baba stuff

Posted Image

wow. that's amazing <_<

Posted Image

said the musician to the designer, "i would like some photoshop filters on my album cover please, thanks."

:lol:

Utter

Shite

perhaps the reason a lot of psy trance albums look amateurish is that there are few funds to hire a good artist. Or maybe, the artist making the music muses himself a polymath and thinks he(mostly hes right? <_< ) can design the whole thing hansolo. Its not like you are putting this out under Universal or Sony/BMG that has a graphics department the size of your school...

perhaps the reason a lot of psy trance albums look amateurish is that there are few funds to hire a good artist. Or maybe, the artist making the music muses himself a polymath and thinks he(mostly hes right? <_< ) can design the whole thing hansolo. Its not like you are putting this out under Universal or Sony/BMG that has a graphics department the size of your school...

No, good taste doesn't cost a dime.

• 2 weeks later...