Goa Gil

vancbc

Well, he used to play pretty melodic, psychedelic Goa trance, but these days he moved only onto dark, night psy with twisted flavours, so not so interesting since he likes only monotonous stuff plus he is mixing like little kid, 3 minutes each songs and off... :huh: But I have respect towards him, he is djing for ages and ages, and have done few great mixed compilations...

:)

Yeah, I also think you should go despite what I said...you can at least hear solid few hours and some good choice of songs in between for sure...;)

Guest antic

Since it's in September, you've got some time to check what he's playing now:

DJ mixes:

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ava/ava1cd018.html

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ava/ava1cd029.html

The Nommos album (Goa Gil & his wife):

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/ava/ava1cd020.html

His homepage:

http://www.goagil.com (some interesting articles there)

Personally I think his album is very good, but he definitelly should put some more "light" into his DJ sets. Anyway, could be interesting to hear him live :)

imo he's not worth seeing just because he is a legend...

it depends what style of psy u like.. if u like really twisted stuff and dark stuff then u will love it, otherwise u will be hella bored...

he can't mix... he plays the same stuff for like 18 hours straight.. no story...

i saw him in california, and i was excited after reading people praising him so much...

well let's say i will never go to a party where he is playing all night again...

well, to be honest, i don't recommend to go on goagil, if you want to hear something special.

he does not mix at all, he just plays track after track

sometimes he is trying to make faster transition, and cuts the rhythm of one track with another. it's often disturbing, to hear such 'mix' every 8 minutes or often...

trance music is IMO supposed to be hypnotic, with long mixes that are hard to recognise

i don't understand why mr goa gil for XX years of playing did not change dat for cds and learned to mix.

his selection is from 99% made up from following artists:

kindzadza

ocelot (vector selector)

those two build up 90% of his set. i'm not kidding.

9% take up matutero, freaking, sanfran artists (dylalien,fractal cowboys...). and one percent is left for the rest (i heard datakult, ghreg on earth, jahbo.. from all just 1 tracks)

be ready almost just for ocelot and kindzadza. that's his main sound..

mr goa gil made me sick of those two artists. it's not possible to listen to this for 10 hours.

he had several great tracks that i cannot identify, it was something far different from common styles of usual psy projects.. it had very hard rhythm and classical goa melodies, but made in more sophisticated way. very deep and hypnotic, i have no clue what that could be :)

i liked the tracks on VA Karmageddon a lot though! specially Quasar !

u should definetely go.his mixing skills are poor but the music he plays is killer.if u like the dark and twisted sounds dont miss it.when i go to his parties i dance all night.....like benf52 said if this music is ur style......

@vancbc

Well, if you dont have anything better to do that night then go and hear him spin.

If you like parties with

- good mixing

- variation in track selection

+

- other genres than dark psychechelic full on

Then do not go.

If those things are not all important to you, then go.

Also, he will probably be the only DJ spinning, since AFAIK he demands that he be the only person on the lineup for the event.

As far as Dark Psy goes, I think he spins lots of interesting tracks - Too bad he doesnt really mix it up that well - I think dark psy really shines when its mixed well.

I myself put a lot of emphasis on good mixing, variation and more genres - Still, I would rather hear a couple of hours of old Papa Goa´s (goa gil) set, than I would stand a night of GMS + DJ Bansi+Riktam sonic cheesy spun full on torture.

Best Wishes

Krell

i think it's fun to see goa gil live... i mean just look at what he looks like, he probably has that 'i'm a psytrance guru' smell as well :) pretty entertaining to watch i think!

i think it's fun to see goa gil live... i mean just look at what he looks like, he probably has that 'i'm a psytrance guru' smell as well :) pretty entertaining to watch i think!

301781[/snapback]

Now that was bad thing to say...<_<

I met him and HE DOESN'T SMELL ! He is nice, egocentric guy, nothing else.

It's not right to talk about how he smell in here...it's so immature !

Now that was bad thing to say...<_<

I met him and HE DOESN'T SMELL ! He is nice, egocentric guy, nothing else.

It's not right to talk about how he smell in here...it's so immature !

301786[/snapback]

Hey i didn't talk about bad fumes or anything? just that one dreads / wood / weed / incense / shrooms / guru smell.. if you know what i mean :)

well, to be honest, i don't recommend to go on goagil, if you want to hear something special.

he does not mix at all, he just plays track after track

sometimes he is trying to make faster transition, and cuts the rhythm of one track with another. it's often disturbing, to hear such 'mix' every 8 minutes or often...

trance music is IMO supposed to be hypnotic, with long mixes that are hard to recognise

i don't understand why mr goa gil for XX years of playing did not change dat for cds and learned to mix.

his selection is from 99% made up from following artists:

301343[/snapback]

i would have to agree i mean come on!! how long has he been dj-ing for crying out loud!? how often is he on the road? it seems to me no matter how old (well he might too old now) but still, the man should have picked decks and done the thing proper... maybe even used a computer? does anyone know ? :blink:

my guess is that the man is demented and that his mind is cleary fucked up over the years, btw what made him 'famous' anyway? anyway i'd still want to witness one of his sets though, just for the sake of it! come on! must be fun to see this guy! :)

imo he's not worth seeing just because he is a legend...

it depends what style of psy u like.. if u like really twisted stuff and dark stuff then u will love it, otherwise u will be hella bored...

he can't mix... he plays the same stuff for like 18 hours straight.. no story...

i saw him in california, and i was excited after reading people praising him so much...

well let's say i will never go to a party where he is playing all night again...

301209[/snapback]

amen

He's playing in Oregon in September, and depending where it's at a minimum a six hour drive from Vancouver.

He may be a legend, but I'm not so much into dark, twisted psy. I like morning trance and uplifting melodies.

What I want is to rewind the clock a few years and attend an old skool Goa trance party.

yeah forget about it if u don't like dark stuff...

also the thing is when he plays is it's only him..

at a normal party even if u don't like one dj u can wait till the next one, u get more variety of styles... with him u r stuck with the same thing...

imo it's not what psy is about..

the problem is probably that he is considered a "legend" so people let him do what ever he wants and nobody can dare saying that they don't like waht he does...