Most conceptual albums

seraph

What are most conceptual albums for you ?

You know, the ones that have flow and story behind...

Here are mine :

Bodh Gaya - Ayahuasca

Shpongle - Are You Shpongled ?

Cydonia - In Fear Of Red Planet

Blue Planet Corporation - Blue Planet

Pleiadians - Identified Flying Objects

Astral Projection - Another World

UX - Ultimate Experience

Juno Reactor - Labyrinth

MFG - Project Genesis

Cosmosis - Cosmology

Sandman - Witchcraft

Darshan - Awakening

Shakta - Silicon Trip

Chi-A.D. - Infinitsm

COP - Urban Alien

Oforia - Delirious

and many more...

Guest antic

I think that most of albums you all posted above are not conceptual at all :) They're all very consistent and have a certain sound to them, but that is not a "concept"!

For me, the conceptual albums are:

1200 mics - 1200 mics (quite obvious - drugs)

Cosmosis - Contact (about human evolution from instinct and money driven creatures to the spiritual beings living outside physical reality)

The Misted Muppet - From The Legend (mediaval castles, knights, magic and stuff)

Prometheus - Robot-o-Chan (not so sure about this, but this is Sci-Fi thriller about Computers / AI)

Thanks for 'correcting' me antic, but we all have different perceptions of concepts.

You are right about the albums you mentioned too, but I absolutely find the ones I and the rest mentioned as the ones with concept, it doesn't have to be some certain 'issue' to be conceptual...just the feel of an album and flow or story telling makes it also conceptual.

for me a concept album is not about a topic (like drugs for 1200 mics)

but more to have a consistency in sounds, like in classical mushroom for ex.

301230[/snapback]

1200 mics consistency of sounds = cheese

for me a concept album is not about a topic (like drugs for 1200 mics)

but more to have a consistency in sounds, like in classical mushroom for ex.

301230[/snapback]

Exactly...Classical Mushroom has that exact feel...concept of infected, deranged hallucinatory trip... ;)

Guest antic

OK guys, so we agree to disagree about the concept of "conceptual" :D

You think it's about sounds, I think it's about a theme.

Though I see at some point you talk about how the music feels - that's clearly about theme, because two tunes can evoke similar feelings, even when they sound completely different. For example FSOL - Dead Cities is a very conceptual album, because all of the tracks have a theme of some "dark", post-nuclear industrial city, even if there are very different sounding tracks there...

To sum it up - "conceptual" for me is some kind of combination between the leading theme, overall mood / atmosphere and used instruments, though the accent is bigger on the first two ingradients, therefore I don't see any concept in Cosmology, Silicon Trip or Ultimate Experience, though I can agree on IM's 2nd album, IFO or Children of Paradise.

OK guys, so we agree to disagree about the concept of "conceptual" :D

You think it's about sounds, I think it's about a theme.

To sum it up - "conceptual" for me is some kind of combination between the leading theme, overall mood / atmosphere and used instruments, though the accent is bigger on the first two ingradients :)

301245[/snapback]

Ummm, yes...I think that the ones I mentioned definitely have theme, just think about it...They were not made as fillers albums...Blue Planet Corporation definitely has CONCEPT, and even strong one...

Last thing you said sum it all, we agree, I wonder what you disagreed with in beginning... ;)

a few i can think of right now:

carbon based lifeforms - hydroponic garden.. hehe

spyweirdos - fairytale 2xCD check it out, come with a toothpick sized magic wand

dont remember name - train to chroma city

and there are many conceptual releases in other genres like industrial.. cant remember anything now but i ve seen lots that are CD + booklet and the tracks are always in relation to the booklet and whatever this has written, etc

remember an excellent compilation about the war in iraq and children, etc.. had some really affecting samples.. it was a downtempo industrial/techno/idm/whatever release btw..

Besides some of the stuff already mentioned:

Darshan - Spectra

Quirk - Machina Electrica and Fornax Chemica

Ubar Tmar - True

Shaolin Wooden Men - Supermindway

Nervasystem & Aether - The Mama Matrix Most Mysterious

Fear Factory - Obslote

there isn't a more conceptual album as this one! :)

nobody mentioned

Hallucinogen - Twisted?

Im shocked !

ok this sprang to my head: smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness

it might not be trance but its definetely psychedelic ; )

one of the most played albums of my teen years!

ok this sprang to my head: smashing pumpkins - mellon collie and the infinite sadness

302040[/snapback]

:lol:

Great cause you remembered it ! I used to love that album when I was kid too...

;)

Shiva Chandra - Spicy Moments

Not the best album ever, but considering its "shiny/ positive" melodical concept I would give it 5/5. I like the harmonics occuring on this album when one track is passing to the next one. The album is worse listening as a whole only, not by single tracks.

Ubar Tmar - Macrometasomakosmos

That's the killer concept! Just check the description at http://www.discogs.com/release/238294.

That's the killer concept!

302075[/snapback]

Huh, yeah, I still didn't find that one...Silly me...

:unsure:

That's the killer concept! Just check the description at http://www.discogs.com/release/238294.

302075[/snapback]

Just got to drop a line that it sure is a unique album and I'm deeply in love with it! :wub:

I think I have this so called "simon posford syndrom" but in this case my idol is takeshi isogai! :D It seems everything he makes I love :) I'd really kill to see the guy live! ^_^