Toï doï - Psyring test (E-watt records, 2005)

Manuser

Toï doï - Psyring test (E-watt records, 2005)

Posted Image

01 - Intro - 1.10

02 - E-Tium - 6.56

03 - Age Age - 7.14

04 - Resine - 7.05

05 - Fusion Froide - 6.16

06 - Fonction Donde - 5.31

07 - Saturnday - 6.04

08 - Psyring Test - 7.05

09 - Send Gate - 8.23

10 - Teraflop - 3.39

11 - Amb 4 (Featuring Fleck) - 6.55

12 - No Name (Featuring Amo) - 1.08

We heard with "Sustentator" album that the french artist turns more and more techno, this 3rd album is a confirmation. The whole album is hard, very hard for some tracks, and it is something like psychedelic techno/trance with some classical elements.

Intense music on the whole :

02 - E-Tium is a nice dark psytrance track, with a very haunting atmosphere and some small acidlines in the background.

Tracks like 03 - Age Age and 06 - Fonction Donde are really techno oriented, listen to the kickdrum of Fonction donde! HARDTECHNO!! Fonction donde is really my kind of party music, far from being boring it is a very intense psy hard techno track, but why is it so short? It sounds unfinished...too bad.

05 - Fusion Froide is unique, it combines nice classical vocals and a really great atmosphere, amazing and innovative track, no doubt!

I like 07 - Saturnday too which starts with a strange melody, and the whole track certainly sounds more psytrance than the previous ones, with classical music in it, but always with this great Toï doï style.

08 - Psyring Test track is awesome, twisted and entrancing, NICE and stunning melancholic melody at the end which makes a very different atmosphere compared with the beginning of the track! Perhaps my favourite track.

09 - Send Gate is a weird track actually, very varied, with a weird changing atmosphere like there are several tracks in it. There is something odd in it, and i certainly prefer the 1st part of the track.

Certainly a CD to play loud, above all from track 2 to track 8, and very good music for party. Toï doï makes quality sound, no doubt.

7.5/10.

• 2 weeks later...

Be honest?

I am dissapointed. Toi Doi is one of my favorite artists and Technologic in my 10 best albums ever, so I was really excited for his new album (I hadn't bought his second one cause it was available only from the web).

But as I said I am dissapointed.

Why? Well it has no melodies at all!!!! Technologic had some incredible Goa-ish melodies like the tracks Replicant,Nuage D'Encens or Up Days, but Psyring Test hasn't any melodies. All the tracks are a combination of hard Full On with dark Techno. Most of them are similar. A heavy bass, some dark pads and techno percussion. There is only one track that is diferrent and it's the Fusion Froide. This is by far the best track in the cd and the most psychedelic. Yes, this is intense! I can't say the same for the other tracks though. Technologic had much more hard and crazy tracks like the classic Nuage D'Encens.

There are some other different tracks too, like the intro, Amb 4 or No Name but they are small, downtempo tracks.

Of course it's still good and much better (and different) from most of the artists around nowadays, but compared to his old tracks it's a dissapointment IMO.

7/10

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

so aparently Toi Doi discovered the dark trance scene and decided to have a go at it as well... It's nice and stays out of "normal" dark trance clichés. But still, I can't say it's a classic or anything, just a nice album to have in your dark trance collection. Of course we are light years away from Technologic but then again this is night trance whereas Technologic was morning so I guess this explains that :) 7/10

Psychedelic techno comes to mind when i listen to this album. Some great movie theme/score elements. I like it.

• 1 year later...

I own Technologic but not this.

To some degree this artist was already pursuing this more repeticious direction and style when he began the Technologic debut. My problem with Technologic was that it was generally more repetitive than necessary I felt. It had some great Goa/Psy melodies however and people remember that. I also remember how repetitive and far from great many tracks were on the album to me. With exception to the raging, well constructed climactic super song of Up Days, few to no tracks came to the awesome intensity and Goa-driven power. But the artist had an interesting style and Goa doesn't often mix with the darkness so I gave Technologic a shot and liked some of it. Several of his songs intrigued me enough to check out his follow up work.

Psyring Test is more for those into Techno and maybe Tech-Trance. It's lacking in Goa melodies but it isn't going for that. I don't care for his harder, techno approach and sound. The last three tracks are much slower and different from earlier ones. They're chill, downtempo, and repetitive! Although the last one has an emotive tone which is cool. Look, Toi Doi gets so freekin repetitive at times. He waits through one too many loops at times to further develop the track or add more layers. The short opening track intro is intriguing. But most tracks that follow are not my style or taste.

I favor his more involved debut over this and wish he developed it into something massive. It was more "out there" and melodic and he could have lost the Goa melodies and pursued something more dynamic and masterful than this rather progressive psy-techno release in my opinon. There's more repetition here than before and little (occasinally good) melody work compared to the highlights on Technologic. It would be interesting to see this artist step out of the techno sound and make something more ambitious and complex than fans have ever imagined... in the form of strong, storming, melody driven and driving psytrance with Goa melodies with stronger melody structure, buildups, climax, atmosphere, and soundscapes than ever before. But that's a dream. That is not that. Many tracks are so repetitive and harsh here I feel like banging my head against the wall. They're not enjoyable to me.

In conclusion, if a great techno, trance, Tech-Trance or electronica album comes along and I feel that it's truly great I'll write so. I don't like this album but ther are some catchy melodic parts. If only this artist would build the song upon those melodic parts as opposed to haviing them take place few and far between the repetitive, chomping, techno/metal sound. I personally find his music too repetitive overall. He creates some really nice sound textures and grooves at times and I'd love to see him capitialize on keeping more dynamic listeners engaged by incorporating his talent and skills into more dynamic work. This isn't so dynamic, in my opinon.

Interesting cover and introduction however, but they're supposed to be.

Samples:

http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4990

• 2 years later...

this is one of the best psytrance releases of all time

its up there with the greats like "family of light" or "classical mushroom"

its also an enormous improvement over toi doi's own earlier work

Strange comment isn't it ? I mean to put it in the same bag as FOL and Classical mushroom... IMO this album should be considered more techno than psytrance... anyway, perfectly works on the dance floor, violent stuff!