Title: Build Your Own Reactor

Format: CD (jewel case)

Label: Liquid Records (UK)

Cat. #: LRCD001TNCD

Distribution: Arabesque

Date: 18 July 2005

Track listing:

01. 8’07” Scorb vs. ODT – Green Eggs And Ham

02. 9’07” Tron – Spirit’d Away (Diesel Campaign Mix)

03. 7’40” Morphogenetic – Everything Is

04. 8’55” Voice Of Cod – Heart Of Gold

05. 7’36” Bio-Tonic – Shamanic Mathematic

06. 9’00” Z Man – Banana Gigalo

07. 6’58” S>Range – Welcome To Paradise

08. 8’07” Ecliptic – Not Human

09. 9’10” Fromem Ory - Chameleon

Review:

Reactor Building 303!

Liquid Records is a new psychedelic trance label based in London … This is compiled by Liquid Ross who’s been organizing the Liquid Connective parties for years – and this CD is the celebration of five successful years of UK parties… The tracklist is a mix of new and well-established artists and after a couple of delays this compilation is finally ready to hit the stores… Let’s dig a little deeper into the world of Liquid….

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Scorb vs. ODT – Green Eggs And Ham [140 BPM]

Scorb (Yod Onsen) released his highly acclaimed debut album Scorb on Ambivalent Records in 2003 and has since then been featured on a number of compilations… ODT is biscuit-head Jamez_23 & his mate Iain – debuting on this collaboration track… And what a track! This is an absolute corker – stomping, uplifting, psychedelic trance – crusing at a comfortable 140 beats per minute – with conveniently placed breaks and floating build-ups… Very groovy! One of the best tracks here!

#02: Tron – Spirit’d Away (Diesel Campaign Mix) [142 BPM]

“Where is everybody?” Patricio Tron is a new producer from Mexico that has had tracks on AP Records, Magma and Maia Records… The original of this track is out on AP Records’ next compilation… Anyway, this is also very well-produced neo-full on – without too much cheddar… I especially like the heavily filtered/vocoded voice-samples here – somehow it goes down very well with the madness here… The bassline can be a little blunt at times – and about halfway thru, the cheddar-alarm goes off… But besides from that this is a pretty sweet tune – very uplifting, and very dancefloor friendly!

#03: Morphogenetic – Everything Is [145 BPM]

“Everything in this universe is the smell of burned arms!” Arms… WTF? This is the full-on outfit of chill-master Slack Baba… We’re steering away from the obvious full-on pitfalls now – digging deeper into the underground on this incredibly funky number… Yeah – this is forest music… Night music without the pretentious evilness… The filtering here is very impressive – and the output is 100% pure psychedelia… I mean – just listen to the climax – nothing short of perfection! A brilliant, twisted track!

#04: Voice Of Cod – Heart Of Gold [144 BPM]

“Konichowa!” Andrew Humphries & Colin Bennun have always impressed me with their collected talent mass and kick-ass tunes… Their track on the Organic Records compilation Invasion From Hyperspace really impressed me and I’m looking forward to the upcoming debut album… On the surface this is a melodic morning trance – but there are enough spacey synths and twirling acid-lines to satisfy the night crawlers too… A damn tasty choon!

#05: Bio-Tonic – Shamanic Mathematic [145 BPM]

Bio-Tonic are Julien Lecoq, Jerome Lecoq & Julien Brizard – all from France…This dynamic trio from Paris has released three albums and countless compilation tracks – and now they’re doing shamanic mathematics… Whatever that might be!? Again we’re somewhere between lighter night-trance and harder morning trance… This track is riddled with electronic guitar riffs – not quite Skazi but its borderline stuff really… Generally I like it – but it’s like it gets a little bit out of hand for brief period of time… Not the best Bio-Tonic track I’ve heard… The climaxes are cool though – and all in all this is a pretty decent track…

#06: Z Man – Banana Gigalo [142 BPM]

“Push the tempo!” Swedish producer Jonaz Bergvall is one half of Logic Bomb and is closely associated with Hux Flux – two names that speak for themselves… Its morning now, and the style here is similar to the melodic side of 12 Moons: Uplifting, epic morning trance – soaked in synths… Very sexy and very beach-friendly… Definitely cross-over material here… It’s good, but it’s a little too well-polished for my taste… And what’s with the sample?

#07: S>Range – Welcome To Paradise [142 BPM]

“Turn up the rhythm!... Rrrrrasta!” Right – try looking beyond the 1993 euro-dance reggae sample, and listen to this… Another Swedish heavyweight here: Anthony Sillfors has released two albums and a number of EPs and compilation tracks… His third album Another Theory is in the pipes and I guess this is what we can expect from him… We’re still in cross-over country here. This is a fast-paced, melodic tune… With enough twists and turns to keep my head bouncing…Good, but lacks that little extra touch to be very good…

#08: Ecliptic – Not Human [142 BPM]

“Reflecting no light!” This Mexican duo consists of Raul Mejia & Juan Carlos Navarro who are AP Records stars with an upcoming debut album... This is a very focussed, driving tune… A hybrid between edgy full-on and futuristic morning trance… I really like how this track is constructed – constantly building, never loosing that all-important dancefloor appeal… This is the Zombie Nation of psytrance! Sweet!

#09: Fromem Ory – Chameleon [145 BPM]

Canadian born and UK based producer Alex Story is a rising new star on the scene… This is fast-paced, hard-hitting full-on – on the verge of hypertrance…Highly energetic and very melodic… And it doubles as a great tune both for sofa-trancing and for the trancefloor… A nice debut for sure, and I can’t think of a better way to end this compilation…

In the wake of the many UK labels closing down, it’s comforting to know that things are still in motion on the other side of the pond from where I’m sitting… This is a brilliant debut for Liquid Records and I like the broad, diverse taste of Liquid Ross who compiled this baby. We really get all sorts here – from uplifting morning trance, to deep trippy forest trance… And everything in between! Besides a few not-so-great tracks, I like the majority of the stuff here – and I’m dead certain many of these tracks will be played a lot on all the summer festivals…

The artwork by Rich Purple Project is pretty cool and futuristic – and has both BPM listings + lists the musical key of each track… Very DJ friendly! Well done Liquid Records. The schedule for upcoming releases looks very promising and I’m looking forward to getting liquefied again soon… Recommended to all fans of UK trance as well as fans of intelligent, cross-over dance music… Enjoy!

Favourites: 1(!), 3(!!), 4, 8, 9

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Liquid Records: http://www.liquid-records.com (under construction)

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/8y6bz

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/9bvm3

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/eyvvv

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/db8ko