Transitional Tracks (varying BPMs)

Basilisk

Hi there - another DJ topic from me. I'm wondering if anyone has any transitional tracks that change BPM as it plays through. An example would be Chromosome's Future Evolutions, which begins at 136 and jumps up to 140 after a break. These are particularly useful if you need to get somewhere fast in a set. I've been looking into this harmonic mixing thing (see other thread) and the fact is, if one wants to smoothly flow from the dirty 130s all the way up to the soaring heights of 145 and above, crossing styles and genres, it's gonna take a bloody long time. A few shortcuts through the forest would come in handy for shorter sets where one would still like to provide a journey to the audience, I would think.

What would be -extremely- useful would be a transitional track from 130 to 135. There is a real lack of good songs to choose from in the BPM range centered right around 133 that makes it a real pain to start slow and move up.

Nerdy, isn't this? :)

altom - groove control jumps to mind...

goes from around 135 to about 145...

i don't think it's ur style reading from ur reviews, but it's got some nice moments...

the begining is great imo...

maybe give it a shot :)

Some Altom catches my ear - sounds like quite a jump though! Thanks benf.

Kiph, it's not an either/or situation. A smooth flow to a set isn't about keeping it the same and playing dull stuff. What gave you that idea? How about great tracks and smooth mixing, building a journey from the very first track, as an approach?

Kiph, it's not an either/or situation. A smooth flow to a set isn't about keeping it the same and playing dull stuff. What gave you that idea?

293791[/snapback]

The fact that it's usually like that. I haven't heard any technically perfect mixes that keeps me interested. There might be some good tracks, but simply not enough variation.

Can't really think of a varable bpm track in lower 130's... :(

Really just +140 stuff that goes faster.. these two spring to mind

Ananda Shake - Emotion in motion: 142->145

1200 Mics - Sixth Revelation: ~142->~147

and I believe Prana and/or GNOTR made some stuff that startet around 145 and went +150, not sure...

i could see how certain songs would aid you in this respect... but if you are looking to boost your BPM gradually from 130's to the 145's it could be achiveed eitherway incrementally... by beatmaching songs in the field of 2-3 BPM's faster within 7/8 songs. Which is a bit of time, but pullin your speed (130-145 and above) is no day in the park either. I'm not sure, thats the way i see things...

Then again i haven't heard many people doing this in mixes very succesfully either... unless it's like Sander Kleinberg or something... and this was a process of hours... 130's is territory for proggresive/house one 145 is full-on or at least morning (in most respects) i would love to hear something that succesfully encompassed all of it together, but i just haven't yet.... is a lot more feasable to start 138... 140 and pull the marker from there... 130 it just takes a while...

so in other words... i don't know

The only track that comes to my mind is Chi-AD - Liquid Neon Sky. I'm not sure but I think it starts around 140 BPM and goes up to 143 or something. A track that starts slow and has a very fast part is Jörg On Mushroom - The Messenger, at the end it gets pretty wild, but I can't name you the exact BPM. And maybe also Shpongle - Around The World In A Tea Daze gets fast at one part.

@Basilisk

You dont need tracks with varying BPMs for you to change the tempo of your set.

Just do a fade mix instead of a beatmix, and you can change tempo whenever you want, and exactly where&when its needed.

This way, you dont get locked into playing certain tracks after each other, you can change tempo when its needed, and spin the right tracks at the right time.

I think, this is FAR more important than whatever argument can be stated against doing a fade mix. Also, this goes against harmonic mixing in general, as you might have figured out, being locked into always using harmonic mixing will also hamper the free creation of flow, since you limit your track selection to whatever is in the right key..

Harmonic Mixing as such is a bonus when it works out, but I dont think you should base all your mixes on it... I only use harmonics myself to avoid dissonanse, since thats a real problem when it occurs.

Well, thats of course just my so very very humble but extremely self confident better knowing opinion there hehehe :-)

So, to answer your question - Any track with a really good intro and a catchy beat can do the trick - You will probably notice the energy dissappear completely from the dancefloor, the crowd will stop and listen with anticipation as the outro glides into a beautiful intro - and once the new beat comes in, it will be mayhem on the dancefloor.

Enjoy :-)

Krell

Then again i haven't heard many people doing this in mixes very succesfully either... unless it's like Sander Kleinberg or something... and this was a process of hours... 130's is territory for proggresive/house one 145 is full-on or at least morning (in most respects) i would love to hear something that succesfully encompassed all of it together, but i just haven't yet.... is a lot more feasable to start 138... 140 and pull the marker from there... 130 it just takes a while...

293871[/snapback]

Well that's the thing... this is what I'm into these days... 3 hour+ sets moving through many styles, ranging up from 100 to 145 bpm. I played a set in the forest recently that began with Entheogenic, moved on to Kooler and Lish, onward with Kiwa and Juno Reactor and Phony Orphants, up to Human Blue and Hydrophonic, and into the old school with Shakta and Hallucinogen and such. A real journey, you know? That's what I'm doing these days, which is why these topics are being spawned ;)

The only track that comes to my mind is Chi-AD - Liquid Neon Sky. I'm not sure but I think it starts around 140 BPM and goes up to 143 or something.

294450[/snapback]

Hmm I seem to have heard of that track from somewhere ;)

Krell, good point... there is a time and place for some fade-mixing if the intros are solid...

Well that's the thing... this is what I'm into these days... 3 hour+ sets moving through many styles, ranging up from 100 to 145 bpm. I played a set in the forest recently that began with Entheogenic, moved on to Kooler and Lish, onward with Kiwa and Juno Reactor and Phony Orphants, up to Human Blue and Hydrophonic, and into the old school with Shakta and Hallucinogen and such. A real journey, you know? That's what I'm doing these days, which is why these topics are being spawned ;)

294566[/snapback]

cool... hook it up to sound forge next time, i'd love to hear some of that

eat static's 1st Revelation on crystal skulls 2 jumps from 100 to 144. Holy War does something similar.

Alien Project on Crystal Skulls 1, from 100 -> 133.

A few Hallucinogen tracks (Deranger and Trancespotter) jump BPM's, you probably know them already.

Talpa - First Ray of Light. 72 -> 144.

Koxbox - Tokyo Nights. 135 -> 145. that should be a nice one.

Slightly out of the usual trance arena, but a Lot of Ozric Tentacles tracks jump tempo. So do a lot of Shpongle tracks. Actually they have one, Monster Hit, that starts out fast and ends slow. That's unusual.

That's all I'm currently aware of out of my collection.

What would be -extremely- useful would be a transitional track from 130 to 135. There is a real lack of good songs to choose from in the BPM range centered right around 133 that makes it a real pain to start slow and move up.

293749[/snapback]

I prefer to use the pitch control and gradually ramp it up over several songs. I find sudden changes in bpm to be rather abrupt and try to avoid them whenver possible. But one can vary the tempo 5 bpm over 2-3 songs (pushing it in increments of +0.2%) without it really being noticed so much. Or if you want to do it a little faster, just nudge it 0.5-1.0% or so during a beatless (preferably amelodic) break - it's easier to get away with large changes when there aren't beats or a noticeable melody.

DJs are too much concentrated in smooth mixing than playing good tracks.

293756[/snapback]

Surely you must not be talking about the psytrance scene. ;) The main emphasis seems to be all about getting the killaghhhhhr tracks with smooth (or even passable) mixing given a distant second.

If I'm paying money for a party, I expect DJs who play good tracks AND have a sense for smooth transitioning. It's not a one-or-the-other situation.

Surely you must not be talking about the psytrance scene. ;) The main emphasis seems to be all about getting the killaghhhhhr tracks with smooth (or even passable) mixing given a distant second.

If I'm paying money for a party, I expect DJs who play good tracks AND have a sense for smooth transitioning.  It's not a one-or-the-other situation.

299376[/snapback]

cheers to that!