Why do rock and heavy metal sound suck?

Halosian

I don't get it...

What's all the fuss about rockmusic and heavy metal??

I've never understood the sound from an electric guitar.

I just saw a whole Iron Maiden concert on the telli. I really, really tried to understand why so many loves this sound.

...I don't get it...

It sounds so fu..in premature... It is heavy metal... Heavy?? Where? Show me...

The guitarsolos sounds horrible.. I can't enjoy anything in this music, not a single sound, not even a hi hat (the drumset sounds also horrible by the way).

Any psyact will have a much heavier and fatter sound. Compare the Pleiadians sounds (from which I adore) to a guitar sound...

But why is it so? Why do I hate the sound from heavy metal and the instruments they uses?

Anyone out there who had the same thoughts and knows the answer to that question?

PS. Why do all heavy metal fans look retarded? I mean they can't even jump synchronized to the beats... Too much headbanging caused brain damage?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1st of all shut the fuck up you don't know what the fuck your talking about. Iron Maiden does suck as does most hair metal. I suggest you try some real metal or shut your mouth & respect other people's opinions. I luv Psy too but I listen to metal way more & I happen to think that there are just as many ignorant people like you in the so called PLUR scene.

1st of all shut the fuck up you don't know what the fuck your talking about.  Iron Maiden does suck as does most hair metal. I suggest you try some real metal or shut your mouth & respect other people's opinions. I luv Psy too but I listen to metal way more & I happen to think that there are just as many ignorant people like you in the so called PLUR scene.

293641[/snapback]

true///

there are lotsa ignorant ppl in the metal scene.

som dudes that think they are elite becuase they listen to death/black/whatever metal, and have saying such as "Send the rave to the grave", or that goans and psytrancers are faggots and such..

Imo metal and rock are really types of music that are completely peculiar to me, too. Many of the songs are unlikeable to me just because there is a lot of noise. Where there is some good melody or something like that, I may like the track. At general, I won`t say it suck even though I really hate also some ballads.... :ph34r:

1st of all shut the fuck up you don't know what the fuck your talking about.  Iron Maiden does suck as does most hair metal. I suggest you try some real metal or shut your mouth & respect other people's opinions. I luv Psy too but I listen to metal way more & I happen to think that there are just as many ignorant people like you in the so called PLUR scene.

293641[/snapback]

Jesus man, sorry if I offended you in any way.

Just wanted to know if someone else feels the way I do about this type of music and why we feel like that.

PS. Your nice answer is what I always think of as a typical answer coming from a hard, cool and angry metal lover. Respect.

Pacal mate, no need to use harsh words. Indeed Iron Maiden is not something i'd refer to interesting rock or definetely not heavy metal. But if you are really open minded and want to hear interesting and musically challenging rock music you should hear Radiohead, Tool, A Perfect Circle, John Frusciante, Mercury Rev and Nine Inch Nails to name a few.

ormion, depends on what rock are you talking about.

i like pink floyd and jimmy hendrix for example.

usually i cant stand most of metal,\sometimes i like the music [guitars,drums etc] but the voices is... unbearable IMO.

You know whick Rock I mean.

The typical MTV Rocking shit! Awful!

The only Rock I like is some 80's stuff but still not something great.

From other hand I hate Radiohead! I HATE THEM!!

And Coldplay too. And every Rock band with a singer that whispers instead of singing because he thinks that whispering is quality! AWFUL!!!!!

There are more ultra gay bands like Travis. Simply discusting...

PS. Why do all heavy metal fans look retarded? I mean they can't even jump synchronized to the beats... Too much headbanging caused brain damage?

293635[/snapback]

Yeah, the flouro wearing mushroomed psy-trancers certainly make an intelligent impression...

I don't get it...

I just saw a whole Iron Maiden concert on the telli. I really, really tried to understand why so many loves this sound.

...I don't get it...

The guitarsolos sounds horrible.. I can't enjoy anything in this music, not a single sound, not even a hi hat (the drumset sounds also horrible by the way).

Any psyact will have a much heavier and fatter sound. Compare the Pleiadians sounds (from which I adore) to a guitar sound...

But why is it so? Why do I hate the sound from heavy metal and the instruments they uses?

Anyone out there who had the same thoughts and knows the answer to that question?

293635[/snapback]

i can't say that i enjoy this music that much.it has a totally different musical approach.it certainly doesnt't have to do with mantras and raggas.

BUT

ltry to listen to ozric tentacles,tool and dream theater.

i was before a week in a dream theater live in athens and man...i was amazed.intelligent music all the way,not all of the tracks did it for me(in terms of the "touch" effect) but these guys are MUSICIANS.

yeah never listen to heavy metal either...

but i have to admit u r harsh here..

there is some good stuff in those styles too.. it's just not my thing, and seems like it's not ur thing too...

but try to respect that other people have different tastes, others like things that u don't but it doesn't mean it's bad music...

Guest The Journey Man Project

Hrmmmm if you could give me one psy trance producer who'll play a track as original as Metallic - "one" or maybe Slayer - "Angel Of Death"... look, who gives a shit? If you don;t get it then just go off and listen to to what you like... I don;t get pop music, so I nver listen to it, I don;t get NRG so I never listen to it, I don't get Skazi or Trishula records style so I don't listen to it... instead of making ignorant comments, learn to keep silly thoughts to yourself... I don't"get" many styles so I just let them be, if others like it so be it.

Hrmmmm if you could give me one psy trance producer who'll play a track as original as Metallic - "one" or maybe Slayer - "Angel Of Death"... look, who gives a shit? If you don;t get it then just go off and listen to to what you like... I don;t get pop music, so I nver listen to it, I don;t get NRG so I never listen to it, I don't get Skazi or Trishula records style so I don't listen to it... instead of making ignorant comments, learn to keep silly thoughts to yourself... I don't"get" many styles so I just let them be, if others like it so be it.

293759[/snapback]

Well I have tried for so many years to understand this music but I simply can't. And I really want to analyse it as far as possible to see if there are some elements that I can understand and maybe enjoy myself too. I can understand all music styles (more or less) except rock and metal so it's very frustrating for me.

Maybe I was a bit harsh (I appologise) but it was only supposed to be a legitimed question.

Well I have tried for so many years to understand this music but I simply can't. And I really want to analyse it as far as possible to see if there are some elements that I can understand and maybe enjoy myself too. I can understand all music styles (more or less) except rock and metal so it's very frustrating for me.

Well the first thing to realise is of coure Heavy Metal is a broad a church as dance music. Just as you'll get many many stream "trance fans" who can't stand "Psytrance" you'll get many "big hair" metals fans who can't stand many of the more extreme sub genre's (death, speed etc). So if you're basing your hatred on the stuff you see on TV and radio its understandable. Try some of the more underground bands as other have suggested and maybe you'll hear something you like.

(personally I'd recommend Hawkwind, can't be many "metal" bands that have a album of dance remixes out there).

In terms of music there are I think some similarities between dance and metal, they are both 4/4, relatively fast tempo, usually the same sort of structure (building to a climax) and both are fairly repetative. The main difference (for me) is that dance music is melody based, whereas metal is riff based, I.E its the chord progression that builds the tune, in dance the chord progression is harmonised to the medoldy (yes? no?). Maybe thats the stumbling block ?

Andy

If you axe me, generalizing an enourmous genre such as rock is pretty pointless... there's too many differing genres within it.

I like rock music because...

There is much room to grow. Take the guitar for example, you can spend years learning how to play, develop new skills and techniques... and each one sounding completely different you wouldn't belive it came from the same instrument.

Synchronized instruments. I find it really spectacular when you can hear at the same time: drums & percussions, 2 guitars, bass, 2 keyboards & flute and it all fits together great! Giving a full audio experience of harmonized instruments playing on different frequencies. Which leads me to...

These musicians playing their music live. Each instrument is a person, which cannot be programmed, so it's all down to skill. This might not matter in some genres, but when the music get's really complex (changing time signatures, being one example) and everyone manages to pull it off, the result is orgasmic :). Plus there is as much room for experimentation as there is for mistakes on the fly.

Vibe. There's a certain vibe to every kind of music... hard to put into words, but it defines your lifestyle in some ways. Psytrance is a perfect example.

I recommend you listen to the Ozric Tentacles and Pink Floyd. And the solo at the end of Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits off the Alchemy album :)

You know whick Rock I mean.

The typical MTV Rocking shit! Awful!

293677[/snapback]

Hah, if MTV has come to represent what rock music is then we surely live in a twisted and sickening world...

I don't get it...

...I don't get it...

293635[/snapback]

Oh yes, believe me, three years ago I was thinking exactly like you now, hehe...

Meanwhile I like metal music really much.

Something triggered in my brain. Something important. And I love both metal and psy now :)

However, man ... you must start to see it from a different point of view ... you complain about metallers dancing bad - well, that's because metal isn't for dancing! Metal and psy are two totally different energy patterns if you know what I mean. Just like Brighter Death Now would appear to you like a stupid annoying ten minute noise (at least that's the case with me) other people hear incredible things in it. It's just ... a different sound. Some people like it, some not. That's it :)