Sweden/Norway

Hello

(this is actually related to my post in the OT section ... I was an idiot ... sorry mods if I have now two threads *blushes*)...

So ... I want to go to Sweden. And Norway. And maybe Finland too. I'll go by Interrail, with a friend ... leaving maybe sunday or monday...

So ... has anybody any tips for me (as there are many scandinavians around here)?

Good places to visit (nature and cities) / cheap stores (metal and psy welcome ... any "flea markets" maybe?) / good cheap restaurants, bars / general tips / areas where we shouldn't go / clothing tips (climate)?

Anything serious welcome!

(I don't plan to go to parties BTW!)

So ... has anybody any tips for me (as there are many scandinavians around here)?

Good places to visit (nature and cities) / cheap stores (metal and psy welcome ... any "flea markets" maybe?) / good cheap restaurants, bars / general tips / areas where we shouldn't go / clothing tips (climate)?

Anything serious welcome!

(I don't plan to go to parties BTW!)

293044[/snapback]

For spectacular scando-style nature, norway is the most accessible, but northern sweden is utterly amazing too. But it takes a LONG time to go up there by train...

As for Sweden, here are a few quick things:

It's currently about 30 degrees here in Stockholm. But in case of rain, you could maybe bring a long-sleeved shirt and an umbrella. If you're going into the mountains you could do with a windbreaker and/or thin longsleeve shirt to block off some mosquitos... but it's really hot up there too right now, at least in the daytime.

Stockholm, Gothenburg ("Göteborg" in Swedish) and Malmö are the 3 largest cities, in that order. I think you'll have more fun in these than in smaller cities, unless you're interested in the Swedish countryside, ofcourse =)

Some suburbs could be hostile at night, but it aint no bronx =) And I have a hard time seeing how you could end up in those anyway. Just be aware of pickpockets in the main shopping streets of the big cities, as with any european city.

As for restaurants I'm no expert since I'm both allergic and a vegetarian (and thus don't bother eating out much). I could think of more fun things to do with the money anyway...

Flea markets are not my thing either, but I could point you towards some record shops (of all genres) in Stockholm if you're interested (let me know in a PM). Since you're not going by car I don't think you'll want to buy tons of stuff anyway, it's hard to fit furniture on the train =)

As for general tips... see if you can book some hostel beds etc ahead of leaving, as it might save you some money. Google should be able to help you find some.

Sweden and Norway don't use the euro, we have our own separate currencies. In Stockholm, SOME stores accept the euro but they're very few and just concentrated to the tourist areas.

If you're really nice and polite I could guide you through Stockholm since I am on vacation as of today =)

Just go to the Fjords in Hardangerfjords. Everybody does it, so should you, hehe.. But yeah! I mean it.. But since your from Austria, it's nothing new.

*auch nach schweden will* ;)

was zahlt ihr denn für interrail ?

We pay 285 EUR for the Interrail ticket ... we had to take two zones, because only when we take two zones we will have the ticket for 22 days (otherwise it's just 16 days and that's too few!). But because of that we dropped the idea with the flight (too expensive anyway after all) and will go up there by train as we took the denmark-germany zone! Yes. By train. All the way. We will take about 25 hours on the train just to get to the southern border of Sweden.

Sounds fun, ey?

Phew ... I already see it, it will be like two years ago (it was exactly the same two years ago except that we didn't have a sweden zone and weren't there much :P ) ... and we will be totally fed up. Totally.

Wonderful ... haha :D

Many thanks for the tips, Ukiro :)

For spectacular scando-style nature, norway is the most accessible, but northern sweden is utterly amazing too. But it takes a LONG time to go up there by train...

Yes. Yes. It will be a very very long ride. I already see it coming. We want to go up until Kiruna (actually Hammerfest and Nordkap might probably be too far up - we need to go down again and we don't just wanna sit in a train, you know) and then go back down on the norwegian side. That might be a cool trip, but it will be looong (and there's also the fact that we will be hyper fed up with trains as we go up there and down there by them (stop laughing, we can't afford flying)...

Concerning the weather I guess I better take some smaller parts with me (longsleeves) than big stuff (fat pullover and big jacket) ... I can always put on more...