Progressive Psy with Vocals

Lauryn

For me vocals usually end up spoiling the entire track, there´re only very few exceptions. One of them is "Haldolium - The peal (local mix)", the vocals are vocoded however. Their side project Emou also has some cool tracks with vocals.

I was really looking forward to the new antix album, then someone told me it was ridden with vocals, and so I didn't buy it, knowing that I'd hate it....just doesn't work for me.  :mellow:

292106[/snapback]

wow, heva ... there are only 2 tracks with vocals on TCD .. you should not miss this album just because someone mentioned vocals. go ahead and download it and then make your own opinnion on wether you wanna buy it. :D

Somebody mentioned the new Sub 6 remixes that were released on VP.  For me, that is another example of really poorly-treated vocals.  They sound like somebody doing a really bad impression of Björk.  The Ticon remix is fantastic, musically, but the way the vocal is used *almost* makes me not want to play it.  Almost..... ;)

292873[/snapback]

i aggree, Ticon poored silver on that 7th son track. :)

ok .. prog trance with vocals ...

i guess it depends on the psy scene in each country.

for my country, i think prog with vocals would do miracles.

the scene is small, few parties, small ones, many clubs feature commercial music, or prog house, breakbit, elektro ... i wouldn't consider these genres as psy, hehe.

so, here, if you wanna increase the psy scene .. you cannot just shock people with twisted powerful psy.

you have to take some steps ... progressive trance is a good step. so i encourage vocals, why not.

I have nothing against vocals but the problem is it's very hard to mix vocals with psytrance...

and most artist don't succeed wery well in doing that...

when they do I admit I like it :)

I think it's important to make the distinction between lyrical vocals, and songs where the voice is used as an instrument (as with Etnoscope).

My main problem with lyrical content is that it's usually pretty stupid. Ticon's remix of 7th Son is dope, but even still, those lame ass vocals sorta piss me off... especially that "it gets lawnly" line. Ugh!

well, Antix- Hiding Place off of Twin Coast Discovery is one....

292007[/snapback]

yes and its a beautiful one

I was really looking forward to the new antix album, then someone told me it was ridden with vocals, and so I didn't buy it, knowing that I'd hate it....just doesn't work for me.  :mellow:

292106[/snapback]

what?! u nuts.. hahah no really, there are only 2 (maybe 3, counting track 5, but not really) tracks with vocals, and only one track (hiding place) uses the vocal in a major way...

check the cd out please, and then you decide if you like or not :)

That begs the question - is Antix "psytrance"?

One of the bros played Hiding Place in his DJ set while he was in Toronto last friday... people were into it. One of my friends had even said he came out specifically to hear that track.

292517[/snapback]

I dont really care what definition it gets.. its very psychedelic imo, very visual, very atmospheric, great music, and works well with the 'psy' crowd that are a bit more open to the progressive side

Somebody mentioned the new Sub 6 remixes that were released on VP.  For me, that is another example of really poorly-treated vocals.  They sound like somebody doing a really bad impression of Björk.  The Ticon remix is fantastic, musically, but the way the vocal is used *almost* makes me not want to play it.  Almost..... ;)

Somebody mentioned Xibalba - for me, they are a wonderful example of how I like to hear vocals done in prog/psy.  More a part of the track rather than trying to soar over & beyond the music. 

292873[/snapback]

As for sub6 remixes... I think the remixes (specially andre absolut and ticon) made the track shine very much.. I think those are great tracks.. as for the vocals, well, I would say they are pretty 'catchy'.. I dont think they are awesomely beautiful at all, but they are quite 'catchy' and work good...

as for xibalba, well, Im sick of prog psy in their style so I guess i would be kinda biased to talk about them

and yeah, there are some house producers that really know how to make vocals... but there are some really bad ones too..

later I will gather some names and write here

Indeed Ticon's Sub6 remix is awesome. If it had no vocals in it would be better IMO. Gold actually. But its a 9/10.

But in neo-psytrance in general (fullon actually), there is one track, only one that i actually enjoy the vocals. I think its named The Clone from The Unstables i think.

Damn the vocals are really well placed in the track. It gives a really fucked up feeling to the track.