Discogs.com

Trolsk

They could at least send an infomail to the members (or the paying members at last). I mean it's off since Friday now....

Basically,

hackedserverproblemscascadesofmoreproblemsanddeathdeathdeath

That's what they said at Tranceaddict.

Well, the mods (only some) really can be a pain in the ass. Submitting the same record for 3 or 4 time only to get it added at last in the exact same way you've tried it the very first time... But still, hacking the site because of this sucks!

Edit: It's running at the moment. Very slow but it's online...

It has NOT been hacked - anyone saying so are just spreading rumours or making shit up. This is what's posted on the discogs forum by Nik, one of the two people working full-time with Discogs:

This is the technical reasons for the problems:

----

Three problems happened all at the same time.

1) Our SSH gateway server has a hardware problem which prevented us from getting into the other servers. That server is back up for now. We realize this is a single point of failure for getting into the servers and are working on getting a second SSH gateway set up.

2) We use a program called "monit" to supervise the apache process and restart it when it dies (which happens frequently because of high traffic). On the first webserver monit's logfile reached linux's 2gig file limit so it could not run anymore. And because of problem #1 we couldn't get in to diagnose the problem and remove that logfile. We didn't realize that monit's logfile could get so big and will now be compressing it or deleting it on a regular basis.

3) The second webserver has a hardware problem and we are working to get it replaced.

So for now we are running on only one webserver and that is why the site is slow. We have 4 new webservers and some additional hardware on order and all of it will be installed in mid-to-late July. Will also make a few changes to the network setup so that in the future we can prevent or at least handle problems like this faster.

----

It may be another week before full system functionality returns to Discogs... this is the lull before the storm of having 4 brand new webservers and yet more improvements to the site!

So, there you have it. For more info, try to check the source in this thread - it's slow but should be working if you're just a bit patient.

Yeah but why hack discogs?!

291050[/snapback]

Most likely because some sad hacker kiddies have nothing better to do with their time. Top hacking groups try compete to get onto the 'hall of shame' at sites like this: http://www.zone-h.com/en/hallofshame

Most hacking groups most likely read security info from secunia etc., and exploit software security flaws as soon as they are known. One hacker most likely writes a script to 'gain root', and then distributes it to all the kiddies in the group who go about defacing as many websites as possible.

Discogs could be seen as a target as it may be seen as a high profile site. Most likely they didn't keep up to date with 3rd party security updates, but it's a bit worrying when high profile sites with a lot of user data get hacked. Looser hackers :angry:

Discogs could be seen as a target as it may be seen as a high profile site. Most likely they didn't keep up to date with 3rd party security updates, but it's a bit worrying when high profile sites with a lot of user data get hacked. Looser hackers :angry:

291347[/snapback]

Read the post above yours. :rolleyes:

I fucking HATE hackers...

291035[/snapback]

Most likely because some sad hacker kiddies...

Crackers.

Not hackers.

You both refer to crackers.

Crackers.

Not hackers.

You both refer to crackers.

292909[/snapback]

hmmm definitions aint stricty defined...

anywayz when i say i crackers i usually refer to those that crack software[or crackers as white ppl :D lol ]

usually those attacks are mainly from LAMERS with few or no skillz that just use some ready-made exploit to fuck a full-of-holes-buggy server or something :)

the word hacker has been raped by media and it's probably fair to say that the initial meaning has changed, into a person who breaks into computer systems, defaces web pages etc rather than just a highly skilled computer expert...

Sad really, but I've stopped caring...

Oh and about discogs... it seems to be up. But it's kind of slow and I can't see images!

the word hacker has been raped by media and it's probably fair to say that the initial meaning has changed, into a person who breaks into computer systems, defaces web pages etc rather than just a highly skilled computer expert...

Sad really, but I've stopped caring...

Oh and about discogs... it seems to be up. But it's kind of slow and I can't see images!

293323[/snapback]

true, yet a hacker always used to break into computer systems :)

today it's confused with lamers[=defacers]

It's still not working right, at least I can't connect from my home PC. Damit, how much time do they need to fix it?

It's still not working right, at least I can't connect from my home PC. Damit, how much time do they need to fix it?

294448[/snapback]

According to the official statement, it could take as long as until the end of July.... :(

Uh this sucks, but at least I know now with how much time I need to calculate.