Masters Of The Genre

seraph

Do you think County music is good?  I dont and I bitch about it as much as I can (also about a lot of Full On and Skazi) :)  They might be very talented musicians but damn it sound cheesy and corky to me ;)

290569[/snapback]

hmmm dmtree i guess you too did not get my joke :(

290580[/snapback]

maybe i didn't take it as a joke.. ;)

290583[/snapback]

To be honest I didn't get the joke either. I mean I've read several posts about how you (and several other people, don't worry I don't want to pick on you :) )dislike full-on and how fun it is to bitch about it an generalise everything. Some of those posts are fun and meant as a joke, but some aren't (or I also didn't get those jokes... ;) ) but for me personally it is still anoying. I mean I also dislike minimal but what's so funny about entering every thread about it and telling all the people posting there what a shitty kind of music it is? (I know you don't do this all the time but you know what I mean). I rarely say anything about it because it seems to be a general trend here to freak out as soon as the word full-on appear, but like this it's no wonder that some people (like me, slap me for my humourless character... :lol: ) don't get jokes like that.

Anyway, I really liked this discussion after the first few posts but it's turning into a less interesting direction right now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest .::E.P

To be honest I didn't get the joke either. I mean I've read several posts about how you (and several other people, don't worry I don't want to pick on you :) )dislike full-on and how fun it is to bitch about it an generalise everything. Some of those posts are fun and meant as a joke, but some aren't (or I also didn't get those jokes... ;) ) but for me personally it is still anoying. I mean I also dislike minimal but what's so funny about entering every thread about it and telling all the people posting there what a shitty kind of music it is? (I know you don't do this all the time but you know what I mean). I rarely say anything about it because it seems to be a general trend here to freak out as soon as the word full-on appear, but like this it's no wonder that some people (like me, slap me for my humourless character...  :lol: ) don't get jokes like that.

Anyway, I really liked this discussion after the first few posts but it's turning into a less interesting direction right now.

290740[/snapback]

oh so the incorporation of Country music was meant serious and all the smiles very not there?

It was a joke ok! How many times do i have to "defend" myself here? It's getting boring!

You people really need to get over it and get on with the topic.

You say you dont like the direction this thread has taken.. then why do you contribute in that direction?

Anyway have fun with this thread "analysing" what I meant. I'll leave the fun to you guys.

Edited by .::E.P

A joke doesn't have to have a punchline, it can also be a sentence expressed in a humourous or light-hearted fashion. This is how I read E.P.'s stuff about country music, while others here clearly took it completely seriously. I'm normally a pretty serious person both on- and off-line (I rarely fool around with nonsense posts/threads etc) so this is unsual coming from me... but really, lighten up.

A person that I think should worthy a mention in this thread is Gilbert Thevenet. While he might not have been the most influential person ever, his sheer amount of output qualifies him for the history books I think. He was also around from the very beginning, so I consider him one of the core people of the genre. And for those who have no idea of who I'm talking about, Gilbert is the man behind Trans'Pact Productions and aliases like Guarana Cupana, Subliminal, D.M.A., N.A.T., Goa Experience, Progressive Transe, Martin Cooper, Loren X, and of course Asia 2001. Probably a whole lot more too, but since Trans'Pact and it's sublabel Subliminal were very secretive about the real names behind the release, it's hard to tell.

My god EP, why don't you just calm down a little? I was not talking about the country part but the full-on part. Should be clear from what I was writing. And btw I didn't say I don't believe you about making a joke. If you say it was a joke then it was. I just tried to explain why I didn't get it and why I think others didn't get it either. If you feel a need to defend yourself because of that, then I'm sorry because this wasn't my intention.

You are right about me contributing to a thread direction I don't like. But you know what? I hardly say anything about stuff that annoys me here (maybe you don't think so but I could post A LOT more if I would post everytime I could argue about taste or some behaviours I don't like (I don't mean you so don't worry)) but sometimes I need to say what I feel or what bothers me. If you have a problem with that I can't anything about it.

Gilbert is the man behind Trans'Pact Productions and aliases like Guarana Cupana, Subliminal, D.M.A., N.A.T., Goa Experience, Progressive Transe, Martin Cooper, Loren X, and of course Asia 2001. Probably a whole lot more too, but since Trans'Pact and it's sublabel Subliminal were very secretive about the real names behind the release, it's hard to tell.

290745[/snapback]

Yes Gilbert has an impressive work-history behind him. Tran'Pact was pure gold :) he sure deserve a lot of credit.

My god EP, why don't you just calm down a little?

290746[/snapback]

I am all calm. So dont throw the ball at my corner when it's you that seem to have an issue here.

On the contrary I think it's you that need to lighten up and stop the nagging. Sorry for my harsh words but this is getting redicilious!

Now this is the last answer I am going to give about my persona and my joke in this thread. Can you respect that?

Is it ok to get back on topic?

Just to participate in your little debate: Logic Bomb surely did some great tracks, I just wasn't too crazy about them.

& if you think Biosphere isn't trancy, check-out "Novelty Waves" at top volume.

They even played that one in the clubs here in Belgium at that time...

Trying very hard to get back on topic:

I love them Germans ;)

Sebastian Krueger:

Very influencial German Producer.

With Tarsis he kinda made the groundwork for what later would become the more minimal side of trance. Under his wellknown SBK alias he wrote Progressive history with the debut-album Treibstoff on Spiritzone. This unique blend of slower progressive beats & yet very psychedelic sounds spawned many copycats.

IMHO it was so succesful because this style of progressive had climaxes, thou not of the melodic kind but more percussive. Perfect morning music because there was a melodic structure that did reveal itself completely until after 2/3 of the track.

Being a proffesional sound-engineer, he als did a zillion rmxes (Druids-Symphonix)

Recently he shifted into more clubby tech-housy-territory with Kruger&Coyle & the latest (3rd) SBK album. He now also has his own record-label Avalanche Rec releasing quality progressive houese & trance.

Daniel Vernuft:

AKA Shiva Chandra, also member of Auricular.

Mr Minimal!

Has been around since forever, faithfully releasing on Spiritzone.

First stuff was kinda melodic, but he really exploded in the Minimal trance wave of 2001-2003 with albums such as Auricular or my personal favourite Gecko.

Dark sounds & pretty bass-orientated, nearly no melody but instead samples of gecko's, crying childeren, slamming doors, basicly anything :P

Nothing uplifting, but highly dancable & very groundbreaking at the time.

For me he remains one of the people who first got the idea that psy-trance could evoke more emotions than just smiley, happy faces.

Too bad the men who broke all formulas in those days is too affraid to experment these days :(

I am all calm. So dont throw the ball at my corner when it's you that seem to have an issue here.

On the contrary I think it's you that need to lighten up and stop the nagging. Sorry for my harsh words but this is getting redicilious!

Now this is the last answer I am going to give about my persona and my joke in this thread.  Can you respect that?

Is it ok to get back on topic?

290748[/snapback]

I sure accept that

But if you call my posts nagging because I just try to explain something to you (I'm not asking to change anything about you, I'm just trying explain how I see something) then I feel sorry for you. For me you quotet the most irrelevant part of my whole post to say something about it. The rest would be way more interesting but you don't even seem to be interested in that. If you now think I have issues because of that, well, you don't seem to understand what I wanted to say. I can't do anything about it.

Anyway, back to topic.

I didn't get Logic Bomb really when I listened to it at home first time...but they for sure have a very deep and psychedelic morning sound that works very well in the party IMO, and a lot of artists making morning music was influenced by them for a few years.

Although taste is taste I can't help feeling that someone who label them mediocre has never heard their music at the right time in a party.

Like them or not, they sure had a different sound than other morning music at the time.

And there is some very good country music for sure.

I didn't get that EP was joking either.

Maybe because he "jokes" so much in a similar fashion about full-on and darkpsy or maybe due to his constant abuse of smileys.

To be frank it just seemed like typical immature bashing of whole genres when I read it.

You know best what you meant EP...but maybe it's not coincidence that you get misunderstood and that it appears to you like there is so many members on a personal crusade against you.

I'd say keep the ironic smileys for when you actually are ironic...that might help to avoid confusion.

Sorry for adding to the disgression....to add to the topic instead...

Did no-one mention Eat-Static?

For sure very influential musicians.

Also Graham Wood for the early TIP stuff is one of the top producers on my list.

Ian Eon was mentioned, but I have to nag about Overlords a bit more.

I know for a fact that a lot of the pioneering UK producers was heavily influenced by him since the Overlords days.

A person that I think should worthy a mention in this thread is Gilbert Thevenet. While he might not have been the most influential person ever, his sheer amount of output qualifies him for the history books I think. He was also around from the very beginning, so I consider him one of the core people of the genre. And for those who have no idea of who I'm talking about, Gilbert is the man behind Trans'Pact Productions and aliases like Guarana Cupana, Subliminal, D.M.A., N.A.T., Goa Experience, Progressive Transe, Martin Cooper, Loren X, and of course Asia 2001. Probably a whole lot more too, but since Trans'Pact and it's sublabel Subliminal were very secretive about the real names behind the release, it's hard to tell.

290745[/snapback]

Ummm, yeah, how could I forget about him ? You are right...The guy released heaps of stuff and is very influential in french scene...;)

Sebastian Krueger:

Very influencial German Producer.

With Tarsis he kinda made the groundwork for what later would become the more minimal side of trance. Under his wellknown SBK alias he wrote Progressive history with the debut-album Treibstoff on Spiritzone. This unique blend of slower progressive beats & yet very psychedelic sounds spawned many copycats.

IMHO it was so succesful because this style of progressive had climaxes, thou not of the melodic kind but more percussive. Perfect morning music because there was a melodic structure that did reveal itself completely until after 2/3 of the track.

Being a proffesional sound-engineer, he als did a zillion rmxes (Druids-Symphonix)

Recently he shifted into more clubby tech-housy-territory with Kruger&Coyle & the latest (3rd) SBK album. He now also has his own record-label Avalanche Rec releasing quality progressive houese & trance.

Daniel Vernuft:

AKA Shiva Chandra, also member of Auricular.

Mr Minimal!

Has been around since forever, faithfully releasing on Spiritzone.

First stuff was kinda melodic, but he really exploded in the Minimal trance wave of 2001-2003 with albums such as Auricular or my personal favourite Gecko.

Dark sounds & pretty bass-orientated, nearly no melody but instead samples of gecko's, crying childeren, slamming doors, basicly anything :P

Nothing uplifting, but highly dancable & very groundbreaking at the time.

For me he remains one of the people who first got the idea that psy-trance could evoke more emotions than just smiley, happy faces.

Too bad the men who broke all formulas in those days is too affraid to experment these days :(

290751[/snapback]

You are right about them, I completely missed german progressive artists...;)

Did no-one mention Eat-Static?

For sure very influential musicians.

Also Graham Wood for the early TIP stuff is one of the top producers on my list.

Ian Eon was mentioned, but I have to nag about Overlords a bit more.

I know for a fact that a lot of the pioneering UK producers was heavily influenced by him since the Overlords days.

290762[/snapback]

I mentioned Merv Pepler in beginning, surely has...;)

I agreed about Graham Wood...not Raja Ram.... :)

I have listened to psy/goa trance for 11 years and I have seen them live. I've even played at the same party, right after their set (and I actually got big applause afterwards, which they did not =). And I actually agree with Cinos - while I understand and respect that music is an individual thing, I for one don't consider them very influential or interesting musically. They failed to impress me live as well, on all occasions that I've seen them ( I can't recall how many times it's been). If some of you think Logic Bomb is the greatest ever, thats fine ofcourse. But I personally don't get much out of their music neither for home listening or seeing them live, and I think my experience in this scene should rule out the possibility that it's due to immature ears or whatever. To me there is nothing to "get", it simply doesn't do anything for me. You're all just bashing Cinos because he's young and thus, according to the logic you seem to use, somehow not entitled to an opinion such as that... but all these rebuttals praising Logic Bomb like they are gods of the genre are just pathetic. Objectivity went out the window for you at least as much as for Cinos when he made his initial statement.

290722[/snapback]

I agree on this. While Logic Bomb have some good tunes, I've never really understood what's so special about them. To me they're just another psy project, and their "contribution to the scene" can hardly be described as very influential. Just because some people like their stuff doesn't mean they're a great act, in that case Skazi would be the most influential guy ever....

And to put EP in a more positive state of mind, I just have to say that the latest Holm & Andersen track "Cityrain" rocks big time. Keep it up man! ;)

Agree in most of the artists you mention guys and I have to add Pete Martin.

He released two great albums one with K.Kylvien UX-Ultimate Experience and one solo Slide-Unstable. What is great about Pete is that he was years ahead from his era in music production. Sarurnalia for example was written back in 1997 and it sounds like a 2005 track.(I'm talking about production here) The same with Koxbox.

BTW here are the true Masters Of The Genres for me in alphabetical order.

Astral Projection

Etnica

Hallucinogen

Infected Mushroom

Transwave

X-Dream

I don't like much X-Dream or Simon but they're masters for sure!

I agree about Pete Martin, I wanted to put him there too but I estimated that 2 albums he made aren't enough to be the true master of the genre, even though he did made Master Of The Universe... ;)

But, in the end, you are right, he is king of chaos...

Agree in most of the artists you mention guys and I have to add Pete Martin.

He released two great albums one with K.Kylvien UX-Ultimate Experience and one solo Slide-Unstable. What is great about Pete is that he was years ahead from his era in music production. Sarurnalia for example was written back in 1997 and it sounds like a 2005 track.(I'm talking about production here) The same with Koxbox.

BTW here are the true Masters Of The Genres for me in alphabetical order.

Astral Projection

Etnica

Hallucinogen

Infected Mushroom

Transwave

X-Dream

I don't like much X-Dream or Simon but they're masters for sure!

291096[/snapback]

i agree

;)

It's not like Hara Gobi did "write history" he was yet another on-the-side artist.

291278[/snapback]

Finally I agree with you... ;)

I think it's time to mention Nick Taylor...  -For me he is the no1 Psytrance producer.

291343[/snapback]

Yeah, he's certainly one of the pioneers of the sound, always pushing forward. Also, I can't really recall hearing anything from him that was ever bland or dull - there was always something special about his tracks. What's he up to these days btw? (The irony here would be if he's into progressive house...) I need to dig out the two Snake Thing singles on TIP when I get home, it's been way too long since I listened to those.

Yeah, he's certainly one of the pioneers of the sound, always pushing forward. Also, I can't really recall hearing anything from him that was ever bland or dull - there was always something special about his tracks. What's he up to these days btw? (The irony here would be if he's into progressive house...) I need to dig out the two Snake Thing singles on TIP when I get home, it's been way too long since I listened to those.

291348[/snapback]

Last things i heard (and thats many years ago) was some housey stuff released on some Japanese(?) label... but it was still good stuff.

I agree with most of the artist mentioned here. However as some have mentioned I dont really consider Logic bomb to be pioneers or masters.

One other band that I believe deserves mentioning are Shaolin Wooden Men, their style is so unique that I believe that they put their footprint in history as well.

• 3 weeks later...

One other band that I believe deserves mentioning are Shaolin Wooden Men, their style is so unique that I believe that they put their footprint in history as well.

291661[/snapback]

Well, they are actually not The Masters, but they surely have unique sound but I can't call them masters...