Masters Of The Genre

seraph

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure why Biosphere is mentioned. He is ambient, but not ambient trance.

In fact, his most important album, Microgravity, is best described as ambient "house" not trance.

As a side note, that album has since (to my ears) aged badly. But what a release when it came out in the early 1990's! I find myself nowadays listening his later Substrata and Cirque more often. Actually, I like the cover on Substrata (the second edition with the bonus movie music CD) better so I listen to it more. Boy, I can be quite shallow in my tastes sometimes...

Sidenote 2: last year's Autour de La Lune is really forgetful (yawn). I also don't rate his work with HIA as highly as his solo stuff.

Guest .::E.P

maybe i didn't take it as a joke.. ;)

290583[/snapback]

then you should follow the advice you always seem to tell me... lighten up ;)

i was actually only joking but it seemed to go unnoticed :(

then you should follow the advice you always seem to tell me... lighten up ;)

i was actually only joking but it seemed to go unnoticed  :(

290585[/snapback]

lol

ok, just please don't pout.

:P

Not sure why Biosphere is mentioned. He is ambient, but not ambient trance.

He has set the standard for a lot of ambient producers following him.

Trance is a very broad spectra and repetitve ambient soundscapes are indeed very trancey in the sense of hypnotising you.

dmtree thanks u summed up what i meant in a much better way...

EP that was not a joke...

it's easy to say afterwards...

290587[/snapback]

will you give me a break please? when i say i am joking you can be 100% sure i am joking. I dont lie.

and I am sorry EP, but your bitching is annoying as hell because you tend to generalize and bitch about music you THINK sounds all the same when you only heard the tiniest slice of it - but your bitching at least comes from someone who knows music and who's been around and had time to form educated opinions - so it's easier to accept and argue with.

290579[/snapback]

btw is it ok i nitpick a little here? :P

I am confused now. Do I form my bitching out of a lack of musical knowledgeor out of knowledge about various music? ;)

See although I am joking here and bitching a bit you did confuse me :)

but Cinos is not joking. LOL.

290597[/snapback]

I know and i think he's cool and funny :) Especially because so many people seem to fall in his trap and get angry at him lol :P

I know and i think he's cool and funny :)  Especially because so many people seem to fall in his trap and get angry at him lol  :P

290601[/snapback]

yes this guy got power, and what strikes me is self confidence when he even him knows perfectly he's wrong, but try to prove the opposite...

He has set the standard for a lot of ambient producers following him.

Trance is a very broad spectra and repetitve ambient soundscapes are indeed very trancey in the sense of hypnotising you.

290591[/snapback]

Well if you are going to stretch the definition of trance that wide, yes, then Microgravity is ambient trance-like. Particularly tracks like Tranquilizer, The Fairy Tale and Baby Interphase.

Pedro

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?sh...ndpost&p=272331

remember, tough guy isn't it?

290604[/snapback]

Ouh whouw! :D

That really takes some 'balls' to make a topic like that! :lol:

No no but I agree about Cinos that much that what I've seen he really is véry harsh to some most talented acts out there (Texas Faggott, X-Dream...) and says his opinions always very roughly :ph34r:

That does not say much.. many classic CD's aren't highlighted it just Mars or Children's personal taste ;)

290505[/snapback]

That's not entirely true... There was a long voting-process on goatrance.free.fr to find everyone's fav'e tracks, albums and compilation... So the highlighted albums are not just Mars' + Children's personal taste... They are the result of a voting process a couple of years back...

/DP

That's not entirely true... There was a long voting-process on goatrance.free.fr to find everyone's fav'e tracks, albums and compilation... So the highlighted albums are not just Mars' + Children's personal taste... They are the result of a voting process a couple of years back...

/DP

290623[/snapback]

must be before my time then... i never saw that contest

must be before my time then... i never saw that contest

290631[/snapback]

It wasn't a contest... It was just a page where you could vote for your fav'es... It was up for at least a year and received MANY votes...

Guest The Journey Man Project

I'd have to say that Logic Bomb arepretty mch industry standard, there might be 1 track that is really good, the rest is just lame semi-progressive-fullon trance... not saying they are bad musicias, just not history makers...

I know and i think he's cool and funny :)  Especially because so many people seem to fall in his trap and get angry at him lol  :P

290601[/snapback]

It's no wonder you think highly of Cinos... mind you, he's what - 17? I think this is saying something about your character, Mr. Kristian Argument ;)

Now OK, sometimes I might just base my opinions on nothing much at all, like when I complained about Pleiadians - they actually have made a few good tracks. Perhaps X-Dream have too, but I haven't heard them.

But Logic Bomb really isn't good. :ph34r:

yes this guy got power, and what strikes me is self confidence when he even him knows perfectly he's wrong, but try to prove the opposite...

290602[/snapback]

Yes I know. Sometimes I carry on fighting after being showed I'm wrong - and sometimes I even manage to convince the opposite site that I am right afterwards. :ph34r:

But Logic Bomb really isn't good.  :ph34r:

290702[/snapback]

But you ever saw them live? Or heard them outside your house at night in the middle of nowhere with a great soundsytem?

IF no. its quite possible you dont get their music yet.

Logic bomb is hight psychedelic music and has a time and place for it. And a good scenario helps a lot

I was like you, dindt get their music and dint understand why ppl praise so much about them

I saw them once and was incredible. I was amaze and all.

So i say and i said it once here. Cinos, i think you will change your taste immensely with time. And will stop doing those harsh and unchangeable judgments. Like is that and period. Things arent like that, you should give music more chances and experience it on diferrent ways too

my two millions

But you ever saw them live? Or heard them outside your house at night in the middle of nowhere with a great soundsytem?

IF no. its quite possible you dont get their music yet.

Logic bomb is hight psychedelic music and has a time and place for it. And a good scenario helps a lot

290711[/snapback]

I have listened to psy/goa trance for 11 years and I have seen them live. I've even played at the same party, right after their set (and I actually got big applause afterwards, which they did not =). And I actually agree with Cinos - while I understand and respect that music is an individual thing, I for one don't consider them very influential or interesting musically. They failed to impress me live as well, on all occasions that I've seen them ( I can't recall how many times it's been). If some of you think Logic Bomb is the greatest ever, thats fine ofcourse. But I personally don't get much out of their music neither for home listening or seeing them live, and I think my experience in this scene should rule out the possibility that it's due to immature ears or whatever. To me there is nothing to "get", it simply doesn't do anything for me. You're all just bashing Cinos because he's young and thus, according to the logic you seem to use, somehow not entitled to an opinion such as that... but all these rebuttals praising Logic Bomb like they are gods of the genre are just pathetic. Objectivity went out the window for you at least as much as for Cinos when he made his initial statement.

And kids, lay off E.P... why is it that ANYTHING he says must be twisted around and used against him, no matter what? You're acting like it's some manhood ritual where you must prove that you can out-argue a veteran, no matter the topic or logical justification. If he makes a joke, you're on him like starved wolves, but you leave the bazillions of outrageously silly threads alone as long as he's not posting. Grow up.

Now, back on topic: As for the most influential people on this scene, I must add Masayuki Kurihara (Masa / X-Tron) and Ray Castle. Do not underestimate their value in the early days... and Masa is still a very important name thanks to his parties etc.

It's no wonder you think highly of Cinos... mind you, he's what - 17? I think this is saying something about your character, Mr. Kristian Argument ;)

290692[/snapback]

Is it ok to say "get over yourself" you mature man? Everytime I see you post something these days it's against me.. Now can we get back to the topic?

Well if you are going to stretch the definition of trance that wide

290611[/snapback]

Why limit yourself? If we have to limit ourselves then cut out 99% of all ambient/dopwnbeat... except for the trance artists that put one "chillout" track at the end of their CD's with beat and "trancey" basslines that fit better on a dancefloor ;)

Ambient is not per se trance but indeed a huge part of our scene and without Biosphere a lot of ambient artists following him would not have been inspired by him.

Maybe you should try and listen to his music ;)