Torakka - Far Out Express [Thirteen 2004] CD

Basilisk

• 6 months later...

OMG did everyone miss this album? This is Ultra Melodic Goa-Trance the way most of us like it!

Torakka - Far Out Express is one of the BEST GOA TRANCE albums of 2004. It's one of the best New School Goa albums and doesn't sound to samey or soft with the pads, etc.

The melodies are juicy, vibrant, and tasty! Not just melodic (becoming cliche) generic sounding goa layers. Good development, innovative elements, and more.

Here's a song from the album!

https://youtu.be/TDLlWDVRv-8

I'm surprised as well that this hasn't gotten more attention considering how much people on this site are going on about how much they love the more melodic goa sound. Well... here is a release in that style AND manages to sound fresh and unique. So what are you waiting for?

There have been quite a few acts that have popped up recently with the old goa sound, but most of them have sounded quite uninspired to my ears, not really creating anything new. Not the case with Torakka though. Now, I may not one of the biggest fans of the old school sound, but you can't help but notice the sheer talent behind this release. There doesn't seem to be a note out of place, everything just flows smoothly (none of the "let's fiddle with these knobs and see what happens" stuff that's present in most psy nowadays). This isn't just some dancefloor fodder for the djs... this is music.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My God, this album hasn't got nearly enough attention! One of the best ones ever, all the songs have that special feeling and I can actually listen to this from start to finish without even thinking of skipping a track :wub:

I hope there's new material coming some day :)

• 3 months later...

I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E stuff!!! I can't imagine how I could miss out on this one like that (am only hearing it in 2006). Like most people said above, this has the merit of being melodic psy all while being innovative (and by innovative I don't mean just making different stuff for the sake of being different like Kino Oko or Artifakt). Here all the melodies and ideas stand together in perfectly coherent tracks.

Definatley THE most underestimated album of 04!!!!

10/10

• 6 months later...

If I compare new goa artists out there to this gem, they are all behind. This album doesn't lack anything, it sounds fresh, innovative and NOT boring at all.

I really can see how much joy had this guy behind his equipment when creating so much happy and possitive tunes. Structural harmony without cheeseness.

nice surprise GET IT!

• 4 weeks later...

i bought this one right when it was released, and it still sounds fresh to me! it's an album that never can be understood as once in a whole. it sets me in a different mood everytime. i might listen to this again today :)

• 5 months later...

Keep bumping up this baby! I found it by chance on psyshop and have never looked back. The progressive guys at the radio station I work at can't get enough of it. Its Ultra-Melodic but lactose free. We need more of this!

• 9 months later...

TORAKKA - FAR OUT EXPRESS

1. Blue Oxygen - B+

2. Under the Tongue - B

3. Dead and 74 - B+

4. Voodoo Crystal - B+

5. At the Edge - A-

6. Plastic Spliff up Boogie - B+

7. Their Secret Liquids in Me - B+

8. Chant of the Bassmonkey - B

9. Drool on Mirrors - B+

I read that this is a solo project by Tommi Kaatranens. This album is awesome. It's so gripping and musically developed. I have been listening to it every day since I took it out of my collection over a week ago. I cannot stop listening to it lately. It's refreshing, not just heavy in melodies and layers. Impressive is the unique sounds chosen, the sound/melody combinations, and how they are utilized into the mix. The effect is smart and delectible. They're filled with harmony and depth, and they blend together extremely well.

The build up and sounds used in At The Edge is infectious and powerful. This is what I consider excellent. It's artistic, innovative, ambitious, filled with change up and a plethora of ideas well executed. The song is unlike anything I've ever heard.

In conclusion, the musical approach appears to be very aware on this album. Remember those old Nintendo tunes you could never get out of your head a la F-Zero and others? That is how some of the melody work is on this album. It's gorgeous and fluid. I don't know who or what inspired this artist. There is just something positive and healthy about the tone, the style and the overall development of the songs. The album is wonderful, very uplifting, infectious, fun and friendly sounding, and animated. Sometimes I feel like I'm listening to an underrated masterpeice inspired by Chi-A.D. but in a totally different style and group. One of the best solo projects ever produced? I love this album. It's one of the best 21st Century Goa albums ever released. And it's still available to buy!!!

http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/thi/thi1cd003.html

Favorite Tracks: 1, 3, 4, 5, 7, 9.

B+

• 7 months later...

Ridiculously good! I listened to the samples once and insta-purchased this one. Can't wait to hear the CD. Jon Cocco's review sums it up perfectly: this release just oozes good vibes.

I was a little surprised at the low (4.1) score this has on discogs. Seems *someone* gave it 1 star out of 5! :angry: Well, everyone is entitled to his opinion but I can't see how any goa fan could say this is a 1 star release. 5 stars from me! :clapping:

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...