Using Fruity Loops Studio...

Hello, :)

Seeing i dont have midi keyboard yet to start using Reason & Cubase im wanting to mess around with Fruity Loops Studio for the time being...

The Question is: I noticed you can turn your computer keyboard into a midi controller in a way, NOW i was wondering can you use that to actually lay out sounds for your tracky that you want to use??? Cause all i can do is listen to the different tempos/heights in the sounds using it....

Some Feedback please,thanks! B)

cubase is easy to use as a "tracker" aswell, you can program rhythms almost as easy as in FL (IMO it's much better in cubase when you learn it), so practice cubase and you will have lot's of experience in mixing and sequencing in cubase once you get your keyboard!

cubase is easy to use as a "tracker" aswell, you can program rhythms almost as easy as in FL (IMO it's much better in cubase when you learn it), so practice cubase and you will have lot's of experience in mixing and sequencing in cubase once you get your keyboard!

288026[/snapback]

Ok, what's the "tracker"..?

The only problem with the Cubase i got, its not exactly legal so i dont have the key for it :(

So could someone tell me how to layout the sound s i want to use using the computer keyboard as midi, if its possible..?

Sorry, i havnt really into the jargon of Production/Sound Engineering yet :huh:

Feedback! B)

I speak Reason and Fruity :)

I'm not exactly sure about what you're asking but you can create MIDI out generators (Insert Channel --> MIDI Out) and if you enable "Typing keyboard to piano" (Ctrl+T).. voila! You're keyboard is now a MIDI controller ;)

A "Tracker" is a type of sequencer, dating back to the days of atari and amiga, the programmig used is similar to that used by drum mashines...

hope that helps...

288163[/snapback]

That's why i wrote "tracker" instead of tracker :)

I mean the tracker way of just filling in when the notes should be played, like you do in FL.

After setting up your computer keyboard (or midi keyboard for that matter, or any other input device), open the piano roll-out, make sure the player is set to sequence not song and then hit the record button and play away. After hitting stop your notes'll be recorded. Be sure to quantitize your notes (piano rollout -> options (thing on the far top left that looks like a piano) -> tools -> quantitize) to get them to line up properly, unless you're doing guitar or something where you wouldn't want that.

Yah, right click on an instrument and select "piano roll". This is your "tracker" in fruity loops and you can adjust the length, position and key of your notes. Very simple really. Also, in FL5 there is a dropdown menu at the top where you can choose how those notes will snap to size, for example: 1/4 note, 1/2 note, 1 note, 1/4 bar, 1/2 bar, etc. You can also select a mode where there is no 'snap'.

Don't bother wasting ur time with your keyboard - using it sounds crap and you only have a small selection of notes to use (as far as I know). Just key the notes into the piano roll until you are as lucky as to get a midi k/b.

hi...

using your comp keyboard is not so great..

u have to familiarize your self with the keys.. the layout is not like a musical keyboard..

if u wanna use it anyway then u could try pressing the record button and play so your notes are sequenced on the piano roll while you play..

but you would need to play in time or otherwise re arrange the notes a second time accordingly..

there is another way that i find much easier..

its called step editing in fruity loops.. ( i think its cltr + E ) there is a little icon of a foot somewhere on the top toolbar next to the play,stop buttons (transport panel)..

if you activate it then you can play one note at a time..each note you play will be added to the piano roll..then it waits for the next note to be played..

try it out..

you'll understand better..

anyway

hope that helps..

bye

ps: this is from the help file...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AUTOMATION & RECORDING

Step Editing

Step editing is a technique to record melodies note by note using your MIDI keyboard (or computer keyboard if Typing Keyboard to Piano is enabled).

To start the step editing mode, first enable it from the Recording panel or the Options menu. In the Step Sequencer, select the channel you want to step edit.

Now each time you press a key on the MIDI keyboard a new note is added in the Piano Roll (you don't need the Piano Roll window opened to step edit) and the position advances to the next step automatically. The step size is equal to the snap size in the Recording panel.

You can use the Num. pad / key on your keyboard to go back to the previous step position. Adding note in an already filled position erases the old step.

The Num. pad * shortcut sends the marker to the next step position. This way you can leave empty spaces between the steps.

You can also create steps longer than the current snap setting. While holding a MIDI key on your keyboard, press the advance position shortcut ( Num. pad *) one or more times then release the MIDI key.

I think the problem using ur keyboard is the lattency, even if u are triying to shot percussions, the latency is annoying u, cuz its recording it with lag. So u better keep doing it the old way till u get the midi interface and the cnotroller, u may help ur self by making ur melody at half the speed by choosing twice slower at the tempo panel.

about the latency....my computer does that but im not shure all the computers have that keyboard speed latency.

Cool guys thanks for the input! :)

Im atually buying my keyboard and sound card this weekend, putting it on my credit card, hehehe :D

Here is what im getting, YAY!!!!

Posted Image

Posted Image

No more messing around on FL%. now moving on to Reason2.5 and Cubase SX3 :D