What is full-on?

Viking

What defines full-on from progressive? And what do these (my favourite artists) produce:

Ananda Shake

Safi Connection

Space Buddha

Fungus Funk

Nomad

Nissymiana

Some artists I realy dont like are : (what do they produce?)

Son Kite

Alien Project

Atmos

X - Dream

Lani

do I like full-on or progressive?

The thing i dont like about atmos, son kite and x- dream are that I dont think it happens enough in their songs. I like the songs to be either, fast, grinding nad hypnotic (like fungus funk) or melodic (but not to much like yahel and lani).

To me atmos etc is nothing. Its just slow and nothing happends. One thing i dont like about son kite is that they try to blend in other music styles in their music. For me it has to be pure electronic, i dont like other influenses (for example I hate when they sample guitars). However the same thing goes for Alien Project... to me that is just slow beats with a bassline for 8 minutes and then the song is over, nothing happends in his songs.

I stoped going to psy trance parties here in sweden just becouse of Djs like Anti who would only play the atmos style. It was just to voring and didnt give me any energy on the dancefloor.

Do you use drugs Viking? haha.. sorry for the stupid question. But if you "understand"

psychedelics. You will also understand alot of.. what did you call it? "Boring music".

btw. Your "full-on" taste seems pretty good to me and my taste. ;)

:o

287184[/snapback]

:lol:

I've heard that said so many times. I will admit, it took a while for me to like his first album, but once I got it... masterpiece.

There is lots going on in that album. Smooth beautiful quiet paced progression. Although not dance floor igniting I will admit. Great for home or car listening. Great!

well Viking, I must agree with what others have said. You like music that is more towards the full on side, but not in the ultra cheesy Israeli pop way it would seem.

Now if you had said I like Skazi, Hypersonic, Astrix, and anything with the baseline, then you would be full on devotee in the truest sense of that term the way it is often used today.

A few years ago, full on didn't mean quite the same thing.

which album? all their albums are totally different..

full on = fool on

287772[/snapback]

Radio and Irritant + some older tracks like Psychoactivity. Haven't heard the other two albums.

Dont expect progressive 'to do it for u'. U have to get inside it then u will

discover there is more to it than 1st perceived.

Try Vibrasphere or go for more phat house based vinyl. Avalanche records

for example produce some wicked phatness

Do you use drugs Viking? haha.. sorry for the stupid question. But if you "understand"

psychedelics. You will also understand alot of.. what did you call it? "Boring music".

btw. Your "full-on" taste seems pretty good to me and my taste. ;)

287176[/snapback]

I guess it's not mainly the drugs. I feel the same like Viking: stuff like Son Kite and especially Atmos or XV Killist (ok, I haven't heard his new tracks, maybe they would change my mind) are not my thing. Somehow to boring for me. And I do take psychedelics, in fact if I took something (doesn't matter if it's mdma, shrooms or lsd) and I have to listen to this music I get bored even more. Nothing about understanding it. There is some progressive I'm getting used to lately but I prefere sober homelistening than drugged up at a party.

In the end it's still about taste, no matter how much some people here bitch about full-on (here at psynews I mean, not here in this thread). :)

Radio and Irritant + some older tracks like Psychoactivity. Haven't heard the other two albums.

287774[/snapback]

Radio is boring? Argh, that´s pure blasphemy, take that back immediately! :P

No seriously, Radio at that time has brought me to places I´ve never been before. I can´t see how anyone can say this is boring music, imho it´s quite trippy.

I guess it's not mainly the drugs. I feel the same like Viking: stuff like Son Kite and especially Atmos or XV Killist (ok, I haven't heard his new tracks, maybe they would change my mind) are not my thing. Somehow to boring for me. And I do take psychedelics, in fact if I took something (doesn't matter if it's mdma, shrooms or lsd) and I have to listen to this music I get bored even more.

287873[/snapback]

To be honest.. I dont llisten to psytrance if I take mdma. It doesnt feel right, and the "frequency" of X's doesnt go with the "frequency" of psy.. imo.

Nothing about understanding it.

I prefere sober homelistening than drugged up at a party.

287873[/snapback]

no...? Well, i disagre Tatsu. But people are different and feel different I guess.

I prefer drugged homelistening.

Different people, different tastes... :) I love taking mdma and then listening to goa or psy at a party. But also LSD or shrooms are ok.

To be hones I also listen to progg when I'm drugged up at home. But mainly when I'm on coke. It's the only drug (well, besides hash and psychedelics but then I don't like prog) I take at home. I don't want to bring on this old chliche but prog mostly works fine with coke for me.

I guess the thing for me is that prog doesn't touch me in the way as goa and psy do. I can listen to it and like it when I'm in the right mood (and if it's the right tracks btw) but I don't love it. But as I said, different people have different preferences, it's always interesting to see what music touches which people. :)

I think it's time to stop this fool-on stuff or something.

If someone enjoys Full On it's ok with me, and yes I don't like Atmos or Son Kite either. So, what? Like Tatsu says, different ppl, different tastes.

I think i can enjoy both, and i also think it's a thin line between them. Listen to the second CD of Goa 2003 Vol 1 from YSE, for example. I liked it all before, and i considered the tracks basically same style but then i got to know that half of those 8 tracks were progressive and half full-on.

Anyway, i can enjoy them both.

If you wan't to get into progressive, son kite is probably not the right way. I for one can't grip some of their tracks. Instead, start with ticon, another swedish act from Digital Structures label. I recommend their second album Aero. It's progressive, but with very busy beats and not very repetitive style while maintaining the spirit of progressive, the huge grooves in the basses and the nice extended claps and clicks floating around in the sound spectrum... MM, ticon is really nice.

Or maybe ticon is just abnormally good progressive?

Ok thanx guys but what defines full-on? Is it the fast paced BPM or is it the use of many different sounds at the same time? The way i see it artists like Scatterbrain and Fungus Funk are not at all the same style as Electro Sun and Lani, still they are all considered to be full-on, howcome?

I can give you some clues, although nothing is definite and the important thing is to listen to things you like but anyway:

.Bpm around 145 (rarely less than 140) bpm.

.Bassline hits at all 16th (or all except the one the kick is on), this goes for most of full-on tracks.

.It is kinda "boring" in the beginning (often just bass, sweeps and effects) and reaching a climax with a melody in the end, while goa is melodic all the time.

I want to say again, this is a question of definition. The best thing to go after while figuring out what it is is listening to the word "full-on".

If the bassline makes you puke, it's full-on.

288927[/snapback]

obviously it doesn't make all people puke.

or do we have a lot of fecalia-masochists around the world?

What defines full-on from progressive? And what do these (my favourite artists) produce:

Ananda Shake

Safi Connection

Space Buddha

Fungus Funk

Nomad

Nissymiana

do I like full-on or progressive?

287139[/snapback]

you my friend

seem to be a dark psy lover.

may i recomend some albums like va _ lhiannon sidhe.

va_psionic earth , storm ,...

va_-_predecessor-2005

VA_-_Ctrl_Alt_Delete-2005

cd's from deja vu records

check out artists like µ

xenomorph

artifakt

nexus

Megalopsy_-_The_Abstract_Machine-2005

edit : full on = kaka

B)

obviously it doesn't make all people puke.

or do we have a lot of fecalia-masochists around the world?

288931[/snapback]

heh :D

i like some fullon[Cosmic Experience is a very nice album, still the bassline gets a bit irritating at times.]

i mean, after having listened to MFG or Chi AD basslines, fullon basslines sounds reaaaaly boring. at least IMFHO. :D

The thing i dont like about atmos, son kite and x- dream are that I dont think it happens enough in their songs.

funny

For me in the real psychedelic songs often happens too much :)

That's why I like the prog stuff much more.

And there happens enough in them - you just have to listen.

Hehe...

I have a funny thought:

Maybe the psychedelic listeners have a totally different brain or a totally different way to percieve/hear things than the progheads? Maybe all the psy people have altogether different brains than the people who like to listen to other music? I always believed that this kind of stuff is inherited. I believe I inherited my love to psy music from my mum ... she never had heard it before and liked it instantly as I played it to her once...

strange