Title: The World Of Peace

Format: CD (digipack)

Label: Parvati Records (Denmark)

Cat. #: PRVCD009

Distribution: Wirikuta

Date: 23 Jun 2005

Track listing:

01. 07’30” First Track (Tempo Anpassen)

02. 10’12” The Invisible Hunter (In The Jungle)

03. 07’43” Siren’s Fiction (Jesus In The Black Masses)

04. 06’35” Creatures Of The IGY (feat. King Jr.)

05. 06’34” The World Of Peace (After Awakening)

06. 09’18” Domination (Through Controlled Minds)

07. 07’08” Demon’s Mother (With Fancy Hair)

08. 07’42” Animachine (This Is The Girl)

09. 07’33” Let The Peace Control (Your Body)

10. 08’52” Made On Planet Earth (Last Cosmonaut)

Review:

Magyar psytrance!

This debut album from Para Halu is the 9th by Parvati Records from Denmark… A quality label among the frontrunners in the darkish hyper-trance label-pool that has yet to disappoint me with its top-class releases… Elite stuff for sure! Para Halu are Ádám Hohmann (Homen) and András Fekete (Pondesz) from Hungary…. They’re featured on a number of compilations on such labels as Nabi, Mistress Of Evil, Discovalley, Alkaloid, Serephana, Paradiso and Parvati. I really liked their hard-hitting tracks on the Psychedelically Yours 2 + 3 compilations… Great stuff – and I’ve been looking forward to this album ever since it was announced… Let’s enter the world of peace!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: First Track (Tempo Anpassen)

“Listen and repeat… Come with me… I can take you anywhere you want…I promise to have you back before you wake!” Setting the tempo on this aptly named track… The intro is dark and minimal with some female robot repeating herself… A lot! … Boooooooooring! Luckily it gets better after the first three minutes where the track seems to find its direction – more FX are added and the guys loose the minimal approach… Tempo anpassen indeed! A good, but not great track…

#02: The Invisible Hunter (In The Jungle)

Check out the very sweet intro here… Just like 12 Moons did it, Para Halu manage to create the illusion of a digital jungle…Very well done! The pace starts out slow and kinda lazy – again it’s pretty minimal, but not boring this time… The pace quickens later on, and this evolves into a full-blown party choon… I’m really impressed by the percussion work here – it’s very original and very well executed… Also the tweaked acid-lines really mess with my head – sweet! Oh, and the long ending similar to the Megalopsy album rules too! A very good, diverse track!

#03: Siren’s Fiction (Jesus In The Black Masses)

“Nothing will destroy our circle… Ride the snake!” Jesus! Another very diverse track – if you thought darkpsy couldn’t be diverse, think again… A very atmospheric ambience is created here and the guys impress me again with their clever use of both audio-channels… These stereo FX sound absolutely great in headphones! Again the subtle acid-bits really suit my taste – and overall this track rules… As dark, moody and beautiful as The Delta – and that’s just about the best damn recommendation I can give this kind of music… Stellar track!

#04: Creatures Of The IGY (feat. King Jr.)

We first heard about ‘The Land of IGY’ on the 2004 Alkaloid Productions compilation True Reality? and now it’s time to learn more about the creatures… Homen and Pondesz are joined by some dude called Peter Takacs on this track… A kinda funky number, with a fast-paced bouncy bassline, rippling little acid lines and a beep very similar to that of my mobile phone when I get an incoming txt-msg… Anyway, this is a very driving track – constantly evolving in a technoid manner… I really like the bit @ 4’47 – I guess that’s what a climax sounds like in the ‘Land of IGY’… Intense! A great track - I wish it was longer!

#05: The World Of Peace (After Awakening)

This is the aptly named title track… And it’s a downbeat track – in the middle of a full-on party album!! Brave move indeed by the Para Halu guys – but it works just fine for me… I like to relax – and sure, after four hard-hitting tracks it’s good to chill out a little… Nice! Style wise this is also a very diverse track, ranging from virtually beatless, soothing ambient to upbeat experimental chill… All made with the serrated edge that is Para Halu! They pulled it off – this is a wonderful track that doesn’t ruin the flow of the album at all…

#06: Domination (Through Controlled Minds)

Beware!! A long moody intro with static hisses and industrial noise sets the pace for what we’re about to experience… A very dark, introvert track with big hints of techno/techy minimal/industrial - though still with a modest splash of psychedelia… The bassline doesn’t evolve much and is pretty much monotonous all the way through the track – as a striking contrast to the subtlety of the previous track… I’m all for variation – and that aspect of this track is cool… This is the hardest track thus far, and to be honest it gets a little too hardcore at times… But it’s still a high-quality track – and the Megalopsy-like outro rocks!

#07: Demon’s Mother (With Fancy Hair)

“Welcome to the virtual command environment. I am the artificial intelligence that will be assisting you...”As the title suggests we’re still in hardcore darkish hyper night-trance territory – and this is a brutal Para Halu track… Very Parvarti like in structure and composition… Mad rippling acid-lines, deep dark bassline and layers and layers of trippy FX to mess with your mind… Much better now guys – this is the way I like my hardcore night-trance to sound… Kick-ass track!

#08: Animachine (This Is The Girl)

“The Union Aerospace Corporation is the largest corporate entity in existence. Originally focused on weapons and defence contracts, new ventures have expanded into biological research, space exploration and other scientific endeavours. With unlimited funds and the ability to engage in research outside of moral and legal obligations, the UAC controls the most advanced technology ever conceived.” Yeah – I know, this is the same sample used by Sycophant in his Life And Death (Remix) track on the Ketuh compilation Hyperspatial Chrysalis released less than two weeks ago… This album has been more than 8 months in the making, so there’s no telling who came up with the sample first… Anyway, this is another darkish stomper – with a spacey electro feel to it… Packed with digital farts, electronic burps and enough acid-twirls to keep me happy! Nice track…

#09: Let The Peace Control (Your Body)

“Let the peace control your body…”Another haunting intro – soon interrupted by digital hisses, a busy bassline and a cheesy voice sample repeated over and over again… I do like the synth-stabs that are introduced later on – and the laughing is a nice little touch… But generally I feel this track lacks something – or maybe it’s just the voice sample that annoys me? A decent track…

#10: Made On Planet Earth (Last Cosmonaut)

Forget about a chilled track to finish this album off – we already had it! So it’s more Para Halu madness! Nice! Classy, floating intro here… Featuring church-bells – and a cool, creepy undecipherable voice-sample… The whole rhythm section is unbelievably cool – I dunno how the hell these guys managed to create such full, morphing percussion… Oh yes, this is forest music – very shroom friendly – and very reminiscent of some of the earliest Parvati compilations… Kinda like Droidsect, Dark Soho or a stripped down version of early Hux Flux… I luv this style – and I can’t think of a better way to end this very cool album! The long deviant outro is also spot-on! Brilliant track!

How refreshing it is to see a hard psy-trance album with a peaceful message instead of a pretend evil devil-worshipping message… I know Beelzebub himself is on the front cover, but so is Jesus…This balance act is also evident in the music which is very varied – as varied as darkish psytrance can be… But it’s much more varied, than say the Psyfactor album… Also the inclusion of long outros in most tracks is very cool – Megalopsy showed the way on their brilliant debut album The Abstract Machine… I like when artists stray off the beaten path and takes some chances with their music… And this album takes a lot of chances musically… Way to go Para Halu! That also pretty much depicts the balance of this album in most aspects… Music wise and artwork wise… When speaking about the cover, I must also say how I find the artwork very, very refreshing and very cool… Nice one!

Journey wise this album is close to perfection… With the exception of a couple of minor glitches, I really, really like this album. There are a couple of tracks that doesn’t really do it for me, but the vast majority of tracks are beyond average quality - and the 8 months of production time have really paid off… This is a very good album – one of the best I’ve heard this year. An essential purchase for fans of intelligent dark night-trance… Fans of Parvati, Trishula and the likes need not look any further… This album will entertain you for a long time… Go get it! Enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 3(!!), 4, 5, 7(!), 8, 10(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Parvati Records: http://www.parvati-records.com

Saiko Sounds: http://tinyurl.com/an3ks

SoftXchange: http://tinyurl.com/dbl8v

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/9quor

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/8p9aw

Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/cffcu

This crew is talented.

When they relax a bit and let it flow [as per "Creatures Of The IGY"] rather than squeezing ever more juice into the pipeline, the sound is at its best.

There is clear potential for a great album in Para Halu. If you're into the full-on sound, this could be it for you.

Urgh, can't wait to hear this one, sounds interesting.

Hmpf, :huh: , DP you say that this is a debut album from para halu ???

But, what about - Para halu - Integration - from 2004? I didn't hear it either, but I saw it on PsyZone. Is it a promo or what?

Btw, nice review DP.

nice album... it's still basically the same dark trance formula used over and over and over again but Para Halu have the good idea of bringing in some very interesting dark atmospheres that seem to "hover" throughout the whole track. Kindof like what The Delta would sound if they released an album in 2005 IMO :)

They also bring in some downtempo tunes: The World of Peace (I didn't think dark trance artists were capable of making downtempo stuff ;)

Fave tracks: 3(!!), 5 (!), 8

As you probably already know I'm not a big dark trance lover but this one is quite good IMO. 7/10

intellegent, dark music

not to dance but to sit and listen

the music is complicated, probably i have to listen several times to get it :huh:

• 3 weeks later...

One of the best 'dark' albums for me. I'm very pleased to know there still is light in this dark-psy tunnel.

Hungary is close to Ukraine, hope to see them here! Maybe I'll be the first to invite them to Ukraine.

funny thing is that I really didn't dig para halu for quite a while.

actually I had the "pleasure" of experiencing their live in bp, right before penta, and this was my first encounter with their music. that gig established a pretty bad opinion about them. at éeast in my terms. they were pissed off their tits on some hardcore russian vodka (homen was celebrating his birthday). I really couldn't stand it for more than 5 minutes. I was standing there in the middle of the dancefloor, being shocked how someone can be so ignorant to whats on on the dancefloor. It was a total and obscure massacre.... this is not a compliment :unsure:

but then again i heard from various people, that this was really a weak moment... usually their shows are highly creative and damn good.

Listening to the album I must give them the credits... The released a hell of an album! And this does count as a compliment , since I'm not a great fan of dark psytrance...

Good job para halu!

You've restored my faith in hungarian psytrance!

Also, I herad that they really wiped it on FullMoon this year B)

• 5 months later...

[rant]

man i have just been noticing either the levels or the mastering is really low on some tracks... take Demon’s Mother (7)... is that a kick!? where's the kick!!?? i know 'down tempo' that pounds a little harder you know?? i'm just really vexed cause it's a great tune, but there's no stabbing kicks... and it's freaking rolling you don't feel it... maybe is should go to bed [/rant]

[rant]

man i have just been noticing either the levels or the mastering is really low on some tracks... take Demon’s Mother (7)... is that a kick!? where's the kick!!?? i know 'down tempo' that pounds a little harder you know?? i'm just really vexed cause it's a great tune, but there's no stabbing kicks... and it's freaking rolling you don't feel it... maybe is should go to bed [/rant]

424240[/snapback]

You only notice it because Domination and Animachine have really heavy kicks, but compare it with Invisible Hunter or First Track, and you'll see they have thair kicks even weaker. I myself cannot decidewether the problem is in mastering (like you suggest) or is it just made for purpose. I think the latter is the truth, because the level of mastering is very similar in all tracks; at least the differences are not as striking as with Deedrah - Reload (that was total disaster).

I say it's just their style! Look at Pleiadians - IFO, two of tracks there (Alcyone and Merope I think) had very weak kicks compared to others and I really saw no one complaining :)

Edited by antic

[rant]

424240[/snapback]

i dont think it's a mastering flaw, i think the kick was intended to be this way, probably they didnt want another killer kick, but a more subtle one to create a different atmosphere...

You only notice it because Domination and Animachine have really heavy kicks, but compare it with Invisible Hunter or First Track, and you'll see they have thair kicks even weaker. I myself cannot decidewether the problem is in mastering (like you suggest) or is it just made for purpose. I think the latter is the truth, because the level of mastering is very similar in all tracks; at least the differences are not as striking as with Deedrah - Reload (that was total disaster).

I say it's just their style! Look at Pleiadians - IFO, two of tracks there (Alcyone and Merope I think) had very weak kicks compared to others and I really saw no one complaining :)

424268[/snapback]

hmm to some degree you are right he is a weak/diffused in between child. I still think it's really low though. In practical terms think at what time of the night you would play this stuff... compare them (not to IFO - which i don't have cause i can't be bothered to pay 100 Euros for a cd i'm not interested about, but more like 'normal' dark psy of that time of the night... ) anyway... it's not bad as it was at 2 am last night -we all little cuckoo at that time ;)

i dont think it's a mastering flaw, i think the kick was intended to be this way, probably they didnt want another killer kick, but a more subtle one to create a different atmosphere...

424525[/snapback]

Actually that's correct. I've seen Para Halu perform live twice and the effect you get from playing on a great sound system is that the bassline is much harder than the actual kick. So the focus, the trance-inducing sound, goes from the stomping kick to the throbbing bassline. A very unique and a very funky way to make psytrance.

You'll never get quite the same effect on a home system, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

very nice album.. at first listen it is not that overwhelming but after a few listens u start apreciating it more and more. the basslines are more original and smoother than other dark..

it's a sort of dark progressive but still full on too if you understand what i mean

• 2 weeks later...

I'm stunned by how musical this is.... So many little twirks, but not too busy, and also it almost never goes over to the "totally way too loud screeching noises" formula that the less creative dark trance composers stick too very often. The tracks move somewhere and you can here carfully composed little "melodies" even in the more noisy sounds, like they spent half an hour on tweaking a melody and then just put it in the background as a little nice effect :)

And then there's the percussion; funky as hell, both really fast, groovy and intelligent, creating little figures and patterns as time passes by.

The bass line never comes out as a bass line but actually a part of the song...

So rewarding experience. Best of 2005?

PS: I'm not what you would call a dark trance fan as I've only listened to a few albums in this sub genre. So maybe there's more stuff that is just as good as this, or even better? It would, though, be fun to be able to look upon this as totally unique ;)

• 7 months later...