In need of bass synth

hi qa2pir,

if you have halion then sample a real bass preferbly one with a low b string (5 string bass), or get one from a sampling cd. real basses have a nice harmonic content. then cut some of the top end (use a shelve eq not a lp filter), compress it with a multiband compressor set to suppress the top end and to lift the bottom end (bell-type eq) (not too much !! distotion !!). set the bell-eq in the range where you are playing so that all notes even the higher ones are audiable or to your likeing. make sure however that you cut everything below say 15hz, these subsonics will only steal headroom.

traditionaly reggae sound engineers recorded the bass through an amp placing the mic at the back of the amp to get that soft muffled bottom end sound.

Guest .::E.P

Yes, that's it. I wan't a good, preferably free bassline vst that can make deep, clean basses without distortion.

Any suggestions?

285609[/snapback]

Most synths can be used. That is if you know how to program them. What program do you use? If you use Cubase or Logic there's build in synths and they should do just fine. Just take your time and dont rush it. Most vsti's can be used but as I said you need to program them.

E:P: i tried the one that comes with cubase, vb-1. Sadly, that one is better for full-on basses than floorshaking electroaucustic ones.

However i have now tweaked Triangle II enough to be able to continue composing the song without getting frustrated at the bass sound :D

Philter: i will try it, i have halion and have used it's bass-samples with great results before, i will try your method :)

Just wanna know what the difference is between shelve EQ and lp filter? i think i know but if i know correctly there should be no reason not to use the filter. Confused :unsure:

and just to make it clear, i use cubase. Thanx a lot for helping me everybody!

hi qa2pir,

first of all sorry for my spelling, im no sure if its "shelf" or "shelve".....

as you can see in the graphic below the shelf-eq is the type commonly used in bog standard tone controlls in hi-fi systems.

it is the default eq in cubase for bass and treble the mids are bell type eqs. "shelf" just describes the shape of the curve, in practice this means that the centre frequency is boostded or cut less or more than the frequency extending the center frequency.

Posted Image

to make the whole shelving thing clear: say your holding a 30cm ruler in your hands, in the left hand your holding the end saying 0 cm. in your right hand your holding it at 5 cm. if you now lift your right hand a few centimeters up the end saying 30 cm is obviously much higher than at 5 cm. analouge to that is a high shelf while boosting, lower frequencies are boosted less than the higher ones.

a low pass filter will idealy (in theory) cut everything above its center fequency, in practice this is seldom the case. ie a first order lp filter will cut 6db per octave, a second order lp filter will cut 12 db per octave, a third order lp filter will cut 18 db per octave...etc...

Posted Image

well the reason i wouldnt use a lp filter is that the steeper the cut off curve is, the less harmonics you will have. then you might as well use a clean sine wave. but if you use a first order lp you will proberbly get similar results.

aha. I didn't know all that, thank you!

Anyway, my filter is of the kind that has several bars that can be raised to boost certain frequencies. So you can create any kind of curve you wan't. So i hope it will work.

cut everything below say 15hz, these subsonics will only steal headroom.

285970[/snapback]

What'd u say about me? :o:o:o

I like subtractor in Reason rewired.

and I have had awesome results with z3ta in Cubase. Actually it's good for most synthy things!

and with bass I do roll-off on the eq at around 80hz

• 2 weeks later...