The link between Goa and Psy

Cybernetika

Where does Goa end and Psy start.. what do you think?

What's the most essential difference between Goa and Psytrance to you?

This is leading to my central question for you: I was wondering if there is any album, track or artist that could stand for a transition between Goa and Psy. What's the best example for a link between these genres?

goa has those melodies i cannot stand lol...

will probably get flamed for this but whatever...

more emphasis on melodies than on bass and kicks...

less psychedelic imo...

as far as a crossover, i would say hallucinogen.... especially the first album...

Well, basically, when Juno Reactor's first album appeared, the genre formely known as trance moved onto higher level and for the first time you could actually hear first deep psychedelic sounds and from that moment it started as psychedelic trance. Psychedelic Trance was very fresh genre that year and beside few singles by Blue Planet Corporation and Eat Static album, that year was just the birth of it. In 1994 psychedelic trance progressed and epic structured melodies were put having strong oriental feel so new genre was called Goa Trance.

So, if you look it from that perspective, Psy was before Goa cause general term psychedelic trance was its original name.

After Goa became popular and ultimately progressed during its finest years ( 94-97 ), somewhere at beginning of 1997 new forms of progressed psychedelic sound were heard. Fat, juicy sounds splashed all around with twirling, wacked noises tangling your brain.

It could be that Hallucinogen - The Lone Deranger was turning point from known highly melodic Goa genre onto more deviant, twisted progressed psy sound.

After that we got highly produced twisted noises and sounds everywhere truly dominating in 97,98 and 99 until the early progression of minimal and progressive trance genres.

;)

here's a morsel to think about though.

Is there really a difference or is it just the natural progression of the style....

What i mean is....a certain style of music WILL NOT stay the same forever. So is it all just a natural progression? :D

more emphasis on melodies than on bass and kicks...

less psychedelic imo...

282153[/snapback]

Oh yeah, bring on more of the killaar psychedelic bass & kicks!

Try listening to: X-dream - We Created Our Own Happiness

Then try listening to: X-dream - Radio.

I find these two albums are a great comparison because they are made by the same artists, both very good, and yet the character of each album is quite different.

For me, the first is goa, and the second is psy.

Where does Goa end and Psy start.. what do you think?

Goa is a subgenre of Psychedelic trance.

What's the most essential difference between Goa and Psytrance to you?

Goa focused on the eastern vibe, mysticism, revelations through psychedelics, that kind of thing. Psy focused on weird music in general. I guess you could say that goa is the religious cousin of the post-modern urban Psy. :)

This is leading to my central question for you: I was wondering if there is any album, track or artist that could stand for a transition between Goa and Psy. What's the best example for a link between these genres?

282152[/snapback]

The best link is the compilation releases of the cutting edge label back then, TIP Records. Listen to their colour compilations (yellow, orange, blue) and Infinite Excursions and then compare it to Phosphorescent, 3D, and the TIP Singles compilations. The Phosphorescent compilation made people speak of psy-trance instead of goa trance. Phosphorescent was one of the most important compilations back then. It might not have been the first compilation to show case what could be called psy-trance, but it was the compilation that brought the sound to the masses.

It could be a long topic, and you have some good answer here by our guys :).

I think goa is more melodic and more deep ... the sound are sweet and hot not like these supercial sound off today. the psytrance is more axed into the bassline, and little fx somewhere.

The two best track for make the transition beetween goa and psy is Electric Universe - The Prayer and Tikal - Equinox.

Boom

They were always the same for me. I don't know why people started using "Goa" for melodic stuff and "Psy" for anything else. It was not always like that, I suppose. And I don't understand such trends. Goa is just where it came from, even if it started in UK...

Of course I was referring to the nowadays commonly used term "Psy Trance" that originated from Goa Trance.

Anyway, it's very interesting to see that most would label Hallucinogen as the link between these two.

But thanks a lot for the very informative and enlightening replys, especially to seraph and Trolsk :)

Try listening to: X-dream - We Created Our Own Happiness

Then try listening to: X-dream - Radio.

I find these two albums are a great comparison because they are made by the same artists, both very good, and yet the character of each album is quite different.

For me, the first is goa, and the second is psy.

282201[/snapback]

yes!that's close ;)

listen to :

ndma-vitan ->goa trance

shakta-leptonhead(deedrah remix)->goa/psy trance

cosmosis-gift of the gods->acid psy trance

pleiadians-alcyone->psy-trance(psychedelic sounds,psychedelic sequences,psychedelic transitions)of course the spiript of goa lies in there:)

Nice comparassements ritual om...;)

Song Vitan is really remarcable piece of eastern mysticism through gothic german perspective. Still my favourite goa track. I think it is crazy not to make full album when they made this, in this style, it could have been easily one of the best goa trance albums ever made.

Nice comparassements ritual om...;)

Song Vitan is really remarcable piece of eastern mysticism through gothic german perspective. Still my favourite goa track. I think it is crazy not to make full album when they made this, in this style, it could have been easily one of the best goa trance albums ever made.

283691[/snapback]

thanks man! ;)

yes an album by them,that time period would be a real anthem :rolleyes: