03. 07’37” I’m So Happy

04. 10’08” Child Of Darkness

05. 08’04” Hell Raver

06. 08’46” Brain Destruction

07. 07’52” Angry Goblin

08. 07’03” Fear Square

09. 10’03” Good And Evil

Review:

Beelzebub has a devil put aside for me, for me, for me…

Psyfactor is Dmitri Korablin from Moscow, Russia. Before this, his debut album, Dmitri had released compilation tracks on Trishula, Inpsyde Media and Vertigo Records… Also he has a downbeat track on the compilation A Magical Journey released by Trishula’s sub-label Ajana Records simultaneously with this album… I really, really liked the two Trishula tracks – they both stood out on the compilations they were featured on… So yeah, I’m looking forward to this album – let’s take a walk down Elm Street…

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Shitty Bastards

Now there’s a smelly track name if there ever was one… The intro is bubbling and lukewarm – somehow indicating what’s about to happen… And sure enough, it doesn’t take long before the dark bassline is introduced… More FX are added, like darkish floating pads in the background + a heavily filtered synth-line… The bassline gets really fast later on – and unfortunately also really monotonous… Dmitri manages to save the day though, by adding more FX… I like the razor-sharp chainsaw-like acid bit towards the end… Truly unruly!

#02: Ghost

The intro is really cool here… Some kind of digital whispering going on… Spooky indeed! Within a few seconds the track is in full effect – a fast-paced, driving bassline sets the pace… Closely accompanied by a bunch of twisted, dark elements… Again there are filtered acid-lines, repetitive percussion and an overall dark atmosphere… Reminds me of older Dark Soho – just darker… Darker Soho! This is a really cool tune – especially after the break and onwards…

#03: I’m So Happy

Happy all of a sudden, ehh Dimitri? I guess this is closest we get to full-on on this dark album… It’s perhaps a little lighter than the first two tracks… But still, there’s nothing happy about this tune… It’s very dark, with rippling noisy elements… There’s some kind of dark melody thing going on here – designed to mess with you… I’m a sucker for acid-lines, and this track is riddled with those… A mad track… Mad I tell you! …I like it! Sweet!

#04: Child Of Darkness

“Spock, this child is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth! Now what do you suggest we do? Spank it…?” Cheesy track name aside, this track also has a very cool intro… Some kind of low ripping sound messing with your head, whilst tension is building in anticipation of the beloved bassline… Once it appears it’s accompanied by a naïve little synth melody – and the low crackling sounds are still around… Add a low, spacey acid-line and you’ve got a winner… This is a huge, driving, brilliant track!

#05: Hell Raver

Another track name that will make your mother proud… The bassline here starts out somewhat more blunt, but once the impressive rhythm section is introduced it takes on a fuller body… The acid-level is even phatter here than in the previous tracks… Oh my, this is brutal stuff… Very Parvati-like… Sweeeeeeeet!

#06: Brain Destruction

As if your brain wasn’t already destroyed by the first 5 haunting tracks – it will be after this brutal assault on your eardrums… This is one of the fastest tracks here – the bassline is simply merciless… And the acid is running thick… Perhaps the bassline is a little too fast, but generally this is a pretty nice track… I also dig the Twin Peaks-like atmosphere that Dmitri creates in the first part of the track – and the last part is simply MASSIVE… Nicey nice!

#07: Angry Goblin

Another very well crafted intro here… Moody, eerie and spooky… This is arch-typical, dark Russian vodka trance… Dark, introvert and repetitive – but still extremely trippy and dancefloor friendly… Similar to Parasense really… Oh, how I love those murky pads with ripping, filtered acid-lines bouncing along… Also the ending rocks – would be an obvious choice for DJs to drop as the last track in a dark set… Another fine track!

#08: Fear Square

Again the acid is running thick and the bassline is a deep, dark and pounding monster! Dmitri has a thing with filters – and somehow he manages to twist and turn those knobs just right… It sounds so fucking good – and I can’t wait to hear this one played loud on the dancefloor! Eat your heart out Goa Gil – this is horror-trance! Tasty!

#09: Good And Evil

As legend has it, the last track is usually for experimentation… And so is this! But if you were hoping for a nice chilled tune by Psyfactor, I’d suggest you seek out the Ajana compilation A Magical Journey… ‘Cause this may be experimental, but it’s not chilled at all… This is a little lighter than some of the previous tracks, but still, it’s pretty dark… Something like dark full-on would be a good bid… By far the most melodic piece here – with darkish elements all over the place… Pretty good, but not outstanding…

Oh my – this album is definitely not for the fainthearted… With the exception of maybe the last track, everything here is dark, eerie and spooky… Fast-paced, acid-ridden, hyper-trance with industrial-sounding basslines and technoid appearances… Sweet!

To be honest I don’t really like the cover – it’s more cheesy than scary… Also, I don’t like the trend with spooky (alleged) track names… I mean, what the hell is a ‘hell raver’ anyway? Angry goblin? Come on – you’re not scaring anyone Dimitri… But let’s not judge a CD by its cover – let the music speak for itself… And the music is very, very good here… I’m really impressed! This is the best darkpsy artist album I’ve heard since Kemic-Al’s Twisted Parameters… I pretty much like all the tracks here, and as such this is a safe investment for any fan of the darker realms of psytrance… Fans of the previous Trishula releases will not be disappointed, nor will fans of Parvati, Yage Records, Stoneage, Inpsyde Media and other similar labels… To put it short, this album is essential for fans of dark psytrance! …Enjoy!

Favourites: 2, 3, 4(!), 5(!), 6, 7, 8(!)

DeathPosture

Posted Image

External links:

Trishula: http://www.trishula-records.com

TranceShop: http://tinyurl.com/89smy

Beatspace: http://tinyurl.com/b5nxt

Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/c5h8q

Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/bk9fd

PsySale: http://tinyurl.com/d5bgn

Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/ad5go

Ajuca: http://tinyurl.com/8vora

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know... don't get me wrong, every single song on this album is just great and I'm still enjoying it a lot... but am I the only one who thinks there could be more diversity amongst the tracks?

All of the tracks have a dark spooky horror pad melody and this chainsaw-lead, which certainly have become Psyfactor's trademark, but they give every track almost the same groove. Exception is maybe the last track with some really nice melodies.

Other than that, I can't find any weak points on here. Everything is on a constantly high level (though I still like the track "Walking Demon" most)... my only problem is the overall impression of a lack of diversity.

Right now I'd give it 8/10

Artist: Psyfactor

Album: Evil Inside

Label: Trishula Records

Year: 2005

Format: CD

Label Blurb:

"The trishula is a three-pronged weapon which symbolizes the destruction of the ego with its three-fold desires of the body, mind and intellect. Lord Shiva with his weapon indicates his victory over his ego and attainment of the state of perfection" It is also an independent record label producing groovy to night-time and seriously dark psychedelic trance.

Songs:

01. Shitty Bastards (147 BPM's)

02. Ghost (148 BPM's)

03. I'm So Happy (148 BPM's)

04. Child Of Darkness (147 BPM's)

05. Hellraver (148 BPM's)

06. Brain Destruction (147 BPM's)

07. Angry Goblin (148 BPM's)

08. Fear Square (147 BPM's)

09. Good And Evil (150 BPM's)

The artwork and the song names make the implication this is a dark CD, but I don't think Psyfactor is taking on the role too seriously. I feel acertain kinship in the cover with the posters of horror movies in the fifties and sixties, there is even a little Planet of the Apes quality to it. We know it is bizarre it seems they are trying to scare us, but we just can't help but feel curiosity instead of terror.

Evil Inside unfolds in between dark atmospheric surroundings, alongside mechanized beats at high speeds. The heavily distorted riffs rumble like the gastric juices of a beast having ingested some electronic device that still half-works. If metal would have dropped the guitars for dark psychedelic trance, it would sound a little like Psyfactor. It is an evolution from the industrial sound dating back from the days of Front Line Assembly & Front 242, when the synthesizers and power cords mixed together and made something dark, electric and satisfying. Many of us would rather not remember psy trance has some roots in this genre, because admittedly some of it might not sound very musical. Dimitry is exploring this edge of cacophony and of dark realms with a skew Goa inclination. The melodies mutate and intertwine in between notes and electrical impulses in the purest form of sonic energy (pardon the pun).

This is what Batman plays in the Batmobile when he is feeling like running over old-ladies; back when Tim Burton was in charge. Defining his sound for me would be placing it somewhere in between Manifold's eerie production style and the never-ending melodic mutations of Chromatome on a dark Halloween day… not forgetting the Kindzadza kick and bass. I find the beat patterns a bit droning at times though, even if the thing works better triple espresso. With his collaboration on V/A – A Magical Journey (Ajana records ) i'd like to think there is an interesting talent developing.

My highlights :

02. Ghost

How can so many random effects be so tightly harmonized? There is a ghost in this machine and he is sure missing a few screws. The ghost rides high on this track with a squelching riff that just keeps on going. Every effect for simple it may sound, slowly seems to evolve in a melodic manner as the synapses in my brain keep exploding of enjoyment.

06. Brain Destruction

And we continue burning more... synapses, with is one. It feels like metal-trance fusion if it wasn't for those eerie pads. The drum work is deep and fat, counting the atmospheric moments much like in the Dracula movie. In between there is that heavily distorted riff that leaves me wondering if I should be dancing or crushing people in a moshpit.

08. Fear Square

'The square' gives you ample time to overlay this one correctly in a set without much fear structural changes in the 4/4 composition. Three minutes into the thing and changes start occurring rapidly, with intertwined melodies mixing alongside the squelchy sounds that have been there since the beginning. Minute five rolls around and it just hits you, this makes sense…

09. Good And Evil

This one is an obvious attempt at making Psyfactor a little more accessible for those who are not that crazy about the dark psychedelic affair. The song moves like a battle in between uplifting melodies and dark demented synths in one crossbreed of transient vibes. Who wins the battle? The lucky chaps dancing the night away i suppose.

saiko samples

Chaos Unlimited

Psyshop

Guest .::E.P

Hell and evil worshipping got nothing to do with trance and dont belong in the scene.. stay in the goth/metal rock scene ;)

Hell and evil worshipping got nothing to do with trance and dont belong in the scene.. stay in the goth/metal rock scene ;)

285429[/snapback]

hell and evil worshipping got nothing to do with psyfactor... i would suggest you listen to the music first, observe... second ;)

hell and evil worshipping got nothing to do with psyfactor... i would suggest you listen to the music first, observe... second ;)

285501[/snapback]

I've indeed listened to their samples (nothing impressive) but i was refering to their track titles.. I dont see the point in introducing satanism and other demonic tendancies into this scene and these titles are nothing but satnaistic, demonic statements and the cover aren't much better.

AWWw... EP got scared....

i'm kidding BTW... don't try to analayze things so hard, go read the first paragraph of my review, maybe you agre :rolleyes::lol:

As I push play on my CD-player I get a feeling of mystique and rolling baselines. The album does not hesitate to show you what it’s all about - It’s about massive triple rolling baselines and some strange sounds swirling around the tracks to create the psychedelic touch. - The End - … Ha-ha … Well, one can’t really review a album this way, so let’s take a closer look inside, let’s see if we really can find the evilness that Psyfactor claims to be inside his debut album.

Posted Image

Psyfactor - Evil Inside (Trishula Records) 2005 (TRISHCD004)

1. Shitty Bastards (6:49)

2. Ghost (8:06)

3. I'm So Happy (7:37)

4. Child Of Darkness (10:08)

5. Hell Raver (8:04)

6. Brain Destruction (8:46)

7. Angry Goblin (7:52)

8. Fear Square (7:03)

9. Good and Evil (10:33)

This album starts really hard pushing forward already after a few seconds. Here we get a typical rolling PsyCore baseline, but this is what a lot of people want in the nigh these days.. The first track, Shitty Bastards starts off with a sound of mystique which I do enjoy a lot. This hypnotic mystical sound keeps on playing throughout the track and it doesn’t take long before the triple rolling baseline kicks in. It’s a good track with nice effects and it does have a great feeling inside. It’s a very hypnotic track indeed. Second track on the album which is named Ghost begins off well with some nice sound effects and a small build-up. The baseline has been changed a bit from the first track. This track is faster, more intense and it makes you want to fly to the Moon on its wicked sounds and power! It’s a great fast-forward track with filtered acid-lines and a dark atmosphere. And after the break … I suggest you hold on to your hat while dancing because this is insane! Love the digital voice effect and general power-feel of this track. I’m So Happy Sais the sample in the third track with a moist voice … Why if I may ask? Because there isn’t anything happy about this track, this track is again dark with intense cool acid-lines and a tempo that makes you sweaty in your knickers! Mad ending, mad track! After this ,,happy” track Psyfactor turns evil. Yes, I think I’ve found some evilness within his veins. Child Of Darkness must be one of my favorite tracks on this debut album. The intro, power and feeling in this track really get to me. I’m amazed. Quote from the track goes like this; Spock, this child is about to wipe out every living thing on Earth! Now what do you suggest we do? Spank it…? …ha-ha, Funny! I really do adore the intense driving power of this track. Great track name to a great track. It’s indeed a “killaarrgghh” on the dance floor! After getting my breath back, I turn to the fourth track, Hell Raver … Don’t know about the name, but let’s hope it sounds like a track fitted for a rave in Hell. It starts off very calm and not so evil like the previous tracks. Same mystique sound effects swirling around, the beat comes in slow but rises as the track evolves. Nothing special so far... But it gets better, faster and more innovating. But nah, nothing original about this track at all. For me it’s a boring track which doesn’t strike me as a Hell Ravish piece at all - Moving on to the track Brain Destruction which is an interesting title. Let’s see if it can live up to its name shall we ... The track starts off in a very Russian PsyCore sound feeling with squeaking noises and a feeling of basement darkness. The baseline drops in and we’re at it again with the albums standard mystique feelings, dark atmosphere and some nice acid-lines. After 5 minutes the whole track gets a facelift with intense synthesis and the beat picks up even more! Sweet!

Goblins! I love goblins. When people use the term Goblin in a track title, the track usually gets pretty freaky and trippy. A good example would be Talpa – Trust No Goblin and Hallucinogen Gamma Goblins Part II which is two of the craziest tracks out there. Now it’s Psyfactor’s turn to display his Angry Goblin. Ok. Me like, me like a lot. Again it’s about powerful vibes with a demented Goblin atmosphere. I love the small buildups and the overall drive, very psychedelic and dance floor friendly… Intense! After this admirable track we move on to Fear Square which is more of a bouncy track with nice trippy sounds floating around like breathing and acid lines. After 4 minutes or so the track becomes floating and harmonic. Great track for the dance floor and great for tripping as well! This must be the softest track on the album because of the floating end, not because of the baseline. Last but not least we get a Ying-Yang track from Psyfactor with the track title Good and Evil. The final track starts off very calm and peaceful with nice floating sounds until the acid-line and baseline kicks in. At 1.30 minutes the evil side jumps in to steal your attention from the good side. As the track evolves the good side tries to take over, it manages to break through the evil and show us some light in the darkness. The battle of good and evil continues back an fourth while the track merges into collaboration between the two powers. After 6 minutes and 30 seconds things turn around to the dark side again, flipping the track around making it evil, yes, finally some more evilness has been discovered! This is truly a schizophrenic track with a battle between evil and good. Evil conquers the good. But fear not, at the end good emerges and finishes off the track, and the album.

Overall a great debut album from mister Korablin! I feel that this album pretty much represents the new DarkPsy flow that we are having these days and he manages to give us quality tracks that can be fitted for both partygoers and the more picky fans of dark psychedelic trance. It does get a bit boring and the baseline sounds very identical to each other. It may be a nighttime oriented album but there is just not enough diversity in it to make it reach a wide crowd. Psyfactor has great skills and he uses these skills over and over again in the tracks. But a little bit more variation would be highly appreciated. Maybe the next album will show us more progress? Still, I do recommend this album because of the tracks themselves. If you’re a DJ and want dark Full-On tracks for the party crowd then don’t hesitate to get this album! If you’re sick and tired of the same baselines rolling along with strange sounds and effects, then i suggest you find another album to buy. I presume Psyfactor wants to have the same respect and admiration that fellow Russian DarkPsy acts like Fungus Funk and Psykovsky got. But i don’t know ...This album is in lack of something. Not trippy enough maybe, because it sure is powerful enough, I'll give him that! Dark dance floor oriented music for the raves.

Where to buy and other links:

Yggdrasil Records: http://www.trishula-records.com

Psyshop: http://www.psyshop.com/shop/CDs/trr/trr1cd004.html

Saikosounds: http://www.saikosounds.com/english/display...ase.asp?id=4851

Beatspace: http://www.beatspace.com/dettagli/dettaglio.asp?id=2079

Wirikuta: http://www.wirikuta.at/web66/product_detai...howDetail=86062

Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/artist/Psyfactor

MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/psytonesmusic

Awesome album...Unique & powerfull and yes i can fell the evil Inside.......

284918[/snapback]

The album isnt bad at all, but where did you find this "evil inside"? Because I missed it.

285429[/snapback]

Stop telling people how the scene is supposed to be, it really looks arrogant and childish !!!

Stop telling people how the scene is supposed to be, it really looks arrogant and childish !!!

286977[/snapback]

I dont stop anything just because you tell me to

I dont stop anything just because you tell me to

287255[/snapback]

Let's try some reverse psychology:

Please, continue to tell us what the scene should be like, it looks really laid back and grown up. :P

You miss the whole point E.P.

Music is about emotions and you got to know that fear is an emotion as well. (and like H.P.Lovecraft said, the strongest of the emotions)

Psy trance is the best music kind for scary music with all these strange sounds psy artists can create.

I love peacefull, happy and beautiful tracks but I love dark,scary stuff as well.

This is the problem with movies too. Ppl believe that a horror film can't be good because it larks of emotions.

Fear IS an emotion.

Of course it's ok if you don't like this stuff, that's another thing ;)

You miss the whole point E.P.

Music is about emotions and you got to know that fear is an emotion as well. (and like H.P.Lovecraft said, the strongest of the emotions)

Psy trance is the best music kind for scary music with all these strange sounds psy artists can create.

I love peacefull, happy and beautiful tracks but I love dark,scary stuff as well.

This is the problem with movies too. Ppl believe that a horror film can't be good because it larks of emotions.

Fear IS an emotion.

Of course it's ok if you don't like this stuff, that's another thing ;)

288176[/snapback]

And I think you misunderstand me here. I got nothing against "dark" music. Some I even like and I too used dark elements (deep, trippy) in some of my releases. What I dont like and agree with are the track titles. As I have said before. I could understand if the artist(s) in question used a title like Hell Raver once in a while. But the bands using these titles seem to use "evil" titles over and over again all the time. And that makes me wonder if they just do it to be "cool" or because they actually are into satanism as a religion or are attracted to the occult = demons etc.

Now I am not saying that peple should not make the music they like. And again it's really nothing to do with the music (unless a track use satanic samples to make a statment pro evil. Then I say NO thanks). It's the seemingly more and more use of track titles with "Evil" statements that these artists use that bother me.

And I think you misunderstand me here. I got nothing against "dark" music. Some I even like and I too used dark elements (deep, trippy) in some of my releases. What I dont like and agree with are the track titles. As I have said before. I could understand if the artist(s) in question used a title like Hell Raver once in a while. But the bands using these titles seem to use "evil" titles over and over again all the time. And that makes me wonder if they just do it to be "cool" or because they actually are into satanism as a religion or are attracted to the occult = demons etc.

Now I am not saying that peple should not make the music they like. And again it's really nothing to do with the music (unless a track use satanic samples to make a statment pro evil. Then I say NO thanks). It's the seemingly more and more use of track titles with "Evil" statements that these artists use that bother me.

288533[/snapback]

Man have you been living under a rock or something? Psyfactor isn't the first with demons / hell and stuff like that in his music, Xenomorph already did this years ago, why the sudden complain?

Man have you been living under a rock or something? Psyfactor isn't the first with demons / hell and stuff like that in his music, Xenomorph already did this years ago, why the sudden complain?

288539[/snapback]

who's talking about who came first here? Sudden complain? I've said it before. It's not anything new. But whereas maybe a few artists used a few hell/demonic track titles years back (and I did not like it then as I dont like it today) the scene today get more and more "flooded" with Hell/demon track titles.

288533[/snapback]

Yo granpa! ...I understand and partly agree on your thoughts about the "trend" of putting "Evilish" names in title of their tracks.. But to asume that they worship the devil is just pure "your old" thinking, hehe. (No personal offence) But try to see our point. It's merly a coolness thing. To let the potencial buyer know it's dark music. .. At least the music isnt hyyper commercial and fluffy. You know.. I prefer that things turn this way then that way. Dont you?

imo. Hell Raver is a bad track name, and the track doesnt live up to what it impleyes.

"Child Of Darkness " on the other hand. Is a clever title, and a great track. .. imo ;)

But to asume that they worship the devil is just pure "your old" thinking, hehe.

I am not assuming anything. I am asking. But so far none of the artists in question have seemed to "care" to answer. Especially not on isratrance. There you see the "supporters" go nuts and rample instead of anwsering the question clear and simple ;)

It's merly a coolness thing. To let the potencial buyer know it's dark music.

288562[/snapback]

That's just as bad (or should I say stupid?). Still I cant stop thinking that all these "cool" evil titles could be "misunderstood" and attract people to our scene that belong in a Lunar Asylum ;)