the evolution of trance discussion

Anoebis

ok, I read alot about the evolution of trance, what will be next etc...

Now is it just me or isn't it really necessary to have a new kind of trance every 3 years?

When I fell in love with goatrance it was all about melodies and the blissfull feeling... And lol, even after 7 years I don't want anything else... is it bad if artists make the same kind of music even after 10 years? I would say: NO! (rock exists for 30 years, Classical music even for 350 years and they also always use the same instruments etc)

Is it bad that new kinds of trance are born? Also No of course! :) But in the trance scene it seems like everyone has to jump on the next train with their music, so few manage to keep their original style...

So the second part of the question, what will be next?

I would say the scene splits even more, into Dark Trance, a progressive house scene and a really psychedelic scene (both new school, experimental finnish stuff etc) and maybe Full On simply dies? (dream on) :)

Now is it just me or isn't it really necessary to have a new kind of trance every 3 years?

When I fell in love with goatrance it was all about melodies and the blissfull feeling... And lol, even after 7 years I don't want anything else... is it bad if artists make the same kind of music even after 10 years? I would say: NO! (rock exists for 30 years, Classical music even for 350 years and they also always use the same instruments etc)

Is it bad that new kinds of trance are born? Also No of course! :) But in the trance scene it seems like everyone has to jump on the next train with their music, so few manage to keep their original style...

I would say the scene splits even more, into Dark Trance, a progressive house scene and a really psychedelic scene (both new school, experimental finnish stuff etc) and maybe Full On simply dies? (dream on) :)

277867[/snapback]

indeed i agree. but rock and classical never had skazi and his legion of scene destroying followers.

Sure they have, especially rock. I mean there are even casted kid rockbands in the likes of Thake That and New Kids On The Blocks (just with guitars). They don't get as famous as classical bands like Rolling Stones or whatever but they do have their piece of the cake. Skazi is also not that famous, the scene is just way smaller than for example the rock scene, so it's easier to get on top.

Amybe I would have said it different :) I'm not saying evolution is bad or trance is dying (because it's NOT! I'm now listening to Schizm of last year, what a Damn hectic piece of mad music!) But simply, why does it seem to be bad when the same kind of trance is still made 10 years after the birth/youth of it?

And also I'm wondering, what is inspiring the new kinds of trance... is it drugs? (full on = mdma music, old school more lsd?) etc? or just the community? or...?

indeed i agree. but rock and classical never had skazi and his legion of scene destroying followers.

277871[/snapback]

Read what Tatsu said.

referring to what anoebis said:

NO, it isn't wrong

the only thing that is wrong is when artists follow the mass instead of their own muscial taste.........if their musical taste is the new train, so be it! but don't jump onto a train because everyone does so, or because it's a train to lots of succes-read:money

and how i see the trance scene evolve?

1.progressive loungy fluffy style (the thingy EP likes)

2.dark progressive, comparable to 1

3.darkpsy splits up, lots of em go with 'full on' (listen to the new killer buds or shift, you'll see)

4.and the other part of darkpsy will remain, dark psy, referring to the trishula and nabi releases (they arent't the same as say the new timecode cd)

5.full on will go completely commercial, expect astrix on your radio and infected making psypop, this will be the new hit after this gangster-rap thing has passed

6.scando psy will remain what it is i think, but will gain more and more listeners, so hopefully they will be able to become more 'mature' (referring to releasing real cd's ppl will buy), along with

7.the 'new-melodic-trance' style, you know, suntrip shite :P but i think it will get very close and comparable to 6. hopefully none of these artists who began in this scene will go to nr5. just magine filteria gettig a reaaal good offer from etnica.net and going for the money :blink:

Amybe I would have said it different :) I'm not saying evolution is bad or trance is dying (because it's NOT! I'm now listening to Schizm of last year, what a Damn hectic piece of mad music!) But simply, why does it seem to be bad when the same kind of trance is still made 10 years after the birth/youth of it?

And also I'm wondering, what is inspiring the new kinds of trance... is it drugs? (full on = mdma music, old school more lsd?) etc? or just the community? or...?

277885[/snapback]

It's hard to say. I know a lot of people that first listened to trance, then "outgrow" it (as if it would be immature to listen to trance :rolleyes: ) and changed to techno and now mainly listen to minimal stuff. Don't know if drugs are the problem. Some people in the psy scene complain about the wide spread use of coke, but other scenes like the minimal or progressive scene face the same problem. It's a trendy drug and not as expensive as it used to be, so if it would be only the drugs then nobody would listen to emotional goa anymore. I also use MDMA and I still think it "works" the best with melodic stuff. Full-on (some of it, I'm not talking about Skazi) is nice but old-school goa is perfect for me. Same goes for acid.

Maybe the problem with some people is that they listen only to one style of music at a time and sooner or later they get bored with it and have to move on.

277871[/snapback]

Ehhmmm...so Europe is pure rock spirit IYO?

I'm sure there was some crap cheezy classical composers as well....but who remembers them nowadays?

Sure trance will not die, at least as long we are alive it will at least have nostalgig value, like rock nowadays ;)

And it will live on as an inspiration for other styles for sure.

Surely there will be something new in psyscene, just don't know when and where it will begin. To create new music not depends only on artists. You must have the right public. We all know that every child wants to be different from his parents and absolutly natural he/she likes different kind of music(of course speak only for "mass").

I hope it will evolve into something new, this scene is losing the sparkle if you know what i mean. There are lots of good artists but i think there isn't a very big creative flow in generall for this music.

Back in Goa in the very beginning Dj's , producers and party people were into Industrial and techno and shit. And when LSD made it's rounds through the parties and producers the sound began to become psychedelic. Acid trance and the original "Goa" sound were born. LSD was not "the reason", but rather " the influence ". And as the years rolled on the sound became more and more psychedelic.

After 911 and stricter security in Airports there has been a distinct shortage of LSD worldwide. But no shortage of Xtc for example. This is probably due to the fact that people manufacture their own pills locally, whereas LSD which is way more difficult to make was being "exported" from places like Israel.

So yes, people's drug taking habits have changed since September 11 2001. The scene moved more to amphetamine based drugs like E and Speed. And so did the music. And with this change in trends came the Full-on Snowball! Everone wanted it harder and faster and more and more Killaaaaaargh. And a genuine Global demand for full-on is what we have right now.

That's where we've been. Where are we going?

Hopefully, back to the beautiful beaches of Goa ;)

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

i'm a bit sad with the mostly prog/housey evolution, i'd rather enjoy a psyprog dark or morning trend but seems few artists keep this way after a little try.

About full on i wouldn't disagree if it gonna strongly decrease, too much crap from Israel (but not only), getting closer to clubtrance, pre-disgestable sound.

I've notice a sort of little neo-goa tendancy & also a year after year ambient/chill raising like told E.P.

Just check the releases: more & more labels best-of, artists albums remixes, Cd maxi with radio edit, compilation partner sponsorship or should i say soundtrack of a big racing car video game, when it's not squarely a tunning trance comp or a comp with eitheir a nude girl, a gay allusion or a kiddish design oriented on the cover...

We're plenty into it, there's a true marketing-commercial aspect developping in trance, it's now undeniable.

That's true, psytrance is getting bigger and more commercial. I don't know if it will get as big as hip-hop for example but I'm sure that there will always be some underground releases and parties (I mean that's even the case with hip-hop). Sooner or later this trend will change, trance and techno used to be big and now (appart from the very commercial trance that gets played on MTV) it's smaller and untrendy again. I guess this is some sort of a natural loop.

Progressive psy is getting closer to some progressive hous and trance so people who used to attend prog-house parties also attend psyhouse parties. IM and similar artists are getting closer to commercial trance (at least so say a lot of people) so there are also trancer attending psyparties and so on. This is not necesserely bad but this also makes the scene bigger again. And getting bigger means getting more commercial sooner or later because you attract sponsors.

On the other hand if you get bigger and involve more people the chance is bigger that the sound evolves more or in a very different direction. If you personally like the direction is another question...

Guest Le Lotus Bleu

Tatsu about IM, some french artists who met them have reported that they will produce a pop-rock album for their next release.

This might be possible, I really don't know. I've heard rumours that on the next album will be more rap like vocals, then I've heard that they wanna make more pop/rock stuff. We will see but there are other artists as IM, if they want to make something new, then it's fine with me. Maybe I'm not gonna buy it if it's not my cup of tea. Since their style has changed with every album I wouldn't be too surprised if something like this will happen.

I would like the evolution to be less genre focused and more focused on psychedelic music. A mix of serious head music and light hearted extroverted groovy fun music would be lovely. My dream party would be a blend of deep house, techno, psy-trance and the new interpretations of samba, tango and jazz. People gathering to enjoy the borderless psychedelic music experience, rather then the genre specific psychedelic trance experience.

...and let's hope that the "goa trance is the most advance music in the universe" spirit fades away for good.

After 911 and stricter security in Airports there has been a distinct shortage of LSD worldwide. But no shortage of Xtc for example. This is probably due to the fact that people manufacture their own pills locally, whereas LSD which is way more difficult to make was being "exported" from places like Israel.

277993[/snapback]

Was/is Israel an important LSD exporter?

277867[/snapback]

This was kind of the reason to why I started a similar thread recently. I've actually thought about the same things, that there are certain kinds of music that have stayed the way they are for a very long time. Then I see no real reason to why goatrance couldn't stay the same, at the same time as newer genres are developing. One doesn't have to exclude the other, but so seems to be the case. I wish that different kinds of music would just evolve and then pile up on each other. That way we wouldn't lose anything.

Maybe the problem with some people is that they listen only to one style of music at a time and sooner or later they get bored with it and have to move on.

Yes. This is IMHO also the reason why new styles and hypes are "born" every few years. Trance and psy and all that is a music that needs to evolve and evolve and it can't stay the same, because after a certain period of time the things get boring because the music is in itself a more or less simple conglomerate of sounds and basslines and one day you simply have enough of "always the same shit".

I'm with delars concerning prog and scando forecasts. Except that some prog will merge more and more into house directions (listen to Vision & Canedy - Privileged, then you know what I mean) ... in fact it has merged quite a bit already ... Acan for example, a resident DJ on the vienna Suntribe psy gatherings is more and more spinning in "ordinary" house clubs ... and the whole suntribe psy style is moving more to prog/house, contrary of fullon if you know what I mean. Bleh, I can't project local developments in my town on the whole globe, but still, you know...

And yeah, Astrix, Skazi, Yahel and IM will soon scratch the popular surface and will become "stars" (if you know what I mean) and their music will storm the charts and clubs and in the end we'll have a bunch of brainamputated idiots in our clubs jacking off to sk4zi and all those killargh clones and we won't go out much anymore.........

lol, hope it won't be like that :P

full on will become even more commercial.

expect big raves . techno kinda raves. clubs bouncers etc etc. with coke and speed as main drug. wich leads to even more boring full on

progressive will stay the same low profile . some countries more popular then other. also a clubbie vibe but will never reach the masses.

althoug wih i woulndt mind are some vibes from atmos or X-dream getting popular. then we would hear some good music when we go to a partie with the collegues from work :P

te scandinavian sjizzel. well

always been a mystery hasnt it?

darkpsy wil continue as it is. attracting freaks and dark people. taking way to much acid

the goatrance scene wil disconnect itself from the full on scene. togheter with the dark psy and weird party's wil arise once again. with kwality music

you see this in belgium . darkpsy at night and goatrance in the morning

and for the new style

mark my words dark psy goatrance

like savage scream - genesis

(i do hope so :rolleyes: )

and for the new style

mark my words dark psy goatrance

like savage scream - genesis

(i do hope so  :rolleyes: )

278200[/snapback]

or Xenomorph - Maladjusted Noise Experiments ;)

I've been producing some tracks (not the ones posted around the net) with something I like to call "Goa feeling"...but also at the same time with lots of influencies in noisy Industrial or so...

also I really do believe that dark psy goatrance will get more power and crowd accept,I just "pray" that happens fast :unsure:

It does seem that the trend is migrating towards more pop/rock sounding psy. That is what fullon seems to be morphing into as the number of fullon releases increase exponentially.

While this main thrust seems to be headed that way I do see an increase in good chill/ambient and I agree with whomever said it earlier in the thread that this should/will remain strong or even grow. It seems to have the greatest appeal outside of the psy/goa/electronic music community.

I can only hope that dark/heavy psy and scando splinter off and continue to provide us with more quality music. I've been a big fan of the scando lub ever since I first heard it. I think it was Musica Psychedelica Scandinavica.