mastering

after many hours of mastering my new track,i have only achieved to make a hole in the water. :angry:

only mastering can bring forward the full potential of the track.is anyone available here for the mastering issue? :rolleyes:

277006[/snapback]

well is no kiddie stuff either thats why them Mastering engineers (or whatever is called) get paid so well... (btw i can be of NO help whatsoever, im sorry)

• Like 1

well is no kiddie stuff either thats why them Mastering engineers (or whatever is called) get paid so well... (btw i can be of NO help whatsoever, im sorry)

277159[/snapback]

Yeah, I took a tune to an engineer in a big studio in Cape Town. This guy owed me some favours so I asked him to do the mastering. He said: NO WAY! Then I asked him where I could find someone to do it. He said "try London!"

Mastering is farking difficult!

And there are not many pro's around. I understand that it's a feeling that you either have or not. You cannot learn it :(

It's the quest for the Holy Grail! And we are all searching for answers!

As an introduction, maybe check out T-Racks. It'll put things in perspective at least :)

Posted Image

T-Racks link

Err... I thought mastering was not about "something you have" but about studying the techniques for like 20 years. :S

277205[/snapback]

Sure. A lot of studying. And loads of experience.

But it's all in the ears!

• Like 1

This is a really good article from a well respected music technology magazine in the UK:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/arti...ermastering.htm

From my (limited) experience with T-Racks, I feel that its more suited to other types of music than the psy genres, ie rock-type stuff; posts on the Sound on Sound forums from a year or two ago seem to support this.

But saying that, if you used it very carefully you could probably get some results from it if you knew what settings to apply (ie, not going overboard with limiting /compression /EQ /tube & tape saturation)

This is a really good article from a well respected music technology magazine in the UK:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug04/arti...ermastering.htm

From my (limited) experience with T-Racks, I feel that its more suited to other types of music than the psy genres, ie rock-type stuff; posts on the Sound on Sound forums from a year or two ago seem to support this.

277220[/snapback]

Great link!

And yeah, I must agree with you on T-Racks with psy. But it's a good all-in-one setup which helps you get into the concept of mastering. it's cool to load up the presets and judge how they affect the tune in different ways. here you can get an idea of settings and stuff. Like I said, it's a good beginners introduction. But you are right, it's not a pro psy device!

Great link!

And yeah, I must agree with you on T-Racks with psy. But it's a good all-in-one setup which helps you get into the concept of mastering. it's cool to load up the presets and judge how they affect the tune in different ways. here you can get an idea of settings and stuff. Like I said, it's a good beginners introduction. But you are right, it's not a pro psy device!

277231[/snapback]

Yeah, the article is really helpful - I refer to it whenever I finish a track;

About T-Racks, I totally overdid it when I used it on one of my earlier tracks and it got destroyed due to my own inexperience - I agree that you could use it to build up knowledge, but it seemed to me that it is very/too easy to 'over do' it... that damage to your sound can happen really easily. I've since learned that subtlety is the key when attempting mastering, its definitely not an effect!

I seem to remember a post here not too long ago with the offer of wizzy noise mastering cd's for a very good price. Maybe search it up and ask them if they're still in the business for doing that. I'm sure they'd do a fuckin great job.

By the way, I think that if you really wanna put all you have into producing psy, you're gonna need to learn to master for yourself sooner or later. You need to start implimenting in basic stages from the start of your song. Also, you'll end up paying thru your nose with a record dealer when they "build it into your contract"

Buy a mastering book. I'm planning on doing that myself. If only there were more on mastering psy, but I guess you either use your initiative, or get to meet somebody who know's what they're doing and hopefully shows you some ropes.

There's a great book called 'Mastering Audio' by Bob Katz; its obviously pretty tekky, but the stuff I do understand is really helpful; it also includes a great chart which gives the relation between keyboard note and frequency in Hz, which is a fantastic help when you're EQ'ing - so you know exactly which frequencies you should zoom in on to enhance your sounds in mixdown.

But there's another book which is supposed to be great, not really aimed at mastering but mixing - and these days the two are getting more and more intertwined (Katz says that if the mixing engineer has done a really great job, the he (Katz) won't have to do anything at all to the sound, except make the actual data on the CD industry standard (PQ codes, song IDs, fades etc). So that says yes, an engineer COULD make a mixdown which needs no mastering.

Anyway, this other book, Mixing With Your Mind-let looks too good not to have - although some of the instruments referred to might not directy relate to psy, the mixing/engineering methods are the same.

i wants it.

ps here's a link which will give anyone interested a sample of what its about:

mixing with your mind - compression settings

Edited by markoos

want to know how to master ???

for starters get your mix right.......if your mix is shit , no mastering is going to make it sound any better....

also dont believe and reliy on the fact that the mastering is going to make your track sound all killaargh etc....mastering cant do that on its own, writing an awsome track willl.....

if i am sending a track away or to do basic mastering , i just use Wave L3, and very simple, find the loudest most hectic part of the track.....link the thresh and the attenaution sliders, then pull down slowly and listen until you here distortion, graining, any fuck ups......then unlink the sliders , and push the attenaution slider up to 0.3 positon i tihkn,.....as low as on the metre it is showing above -3 dB your tight.....

and there we go!!

but get a pro engineer to do it proper, but get a sample of what they do first so you dont get back somthing yyou dont want....

also the dj in cape town, , if you want a good cape town mastering engineer, PM , nme and i will give you details......i think it costs around R250 a track!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I dont help with mastering.. but If you want to exchange sounds and make track together.. look up for more

http://www.psynews.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=26098

311055[/snapback]

wtf!? :lol::P:lol:

what's that got to do with THIS old thread?