the same samples again and again

kabamaru

I was just listening to the tune samples of the upcoming chill compilation "Quality Relaxation" when suddenly I could recognize the voice sample in the Elysium track "Fairytale". Its the same voice sample as in "Magic Monkey Juice" by Younger Brother. Why Kristian? What's the reason? Is it that there is a lack of variety in sample cds? I certainly feel that it takes away a lot of the magic of the tune, makes it sound like a weird kind of remix, takes away the freshness and originality. Maybe I'm over-reacting here, but this annoyance is building up in me for far too long now. The same tired voice/acoustic samples used again and again by many artists. Sure, some twist them a bit, use some effects on them, cut and paste, but in the of the day you will listen to the tune and the moment you will hear that all-familiar sample it will be a letdown (at least for me).

Typical examples:

Ott - Splitting an Atom / Gaudi - Sufani

Entheogenic - We Are One / Shulman - Instability / Cell - Zaz / Ott - Smoked Glass and Crome

I remember one time I was listening to a generic radio-station and a latin/pop tune started playing with the melody of "My head feels like a frisbee" by Shpongle. What a disappointment...

Now, I know that sample use and recycling is happening all the time (Etnica using Kraftwerk samples for example) but this is way too obvious in extended voice/acoustic samples and thats why it bothers me.

someone started an online sample data-base for these kind of matters, i think the idea is great and the site is very organized

http://www.fullonline.net/

if you are sampling something, and it just too good to be true, it might be worth checking the place out, see how many people did before you :huh:

it bothers me to see repetitive samples in songs, but with so many people producing these days, is going to be inevitable... what is important for my ears is whether or not the sample fits well with the overall thing.

...what is important for my ears is whether or not the sample fits well with the overall thing.

274039[/snapback]

I totally agree.

I remember one time I was listening to a generic radio-station and a latin/pop tune started playing with the melody of "My head feels like a frisbee" by Shpongle. What a disappointment...

274037[/snapback]

sorry to disappoint you further but half of shpongle songs are samples, some of which iv heard on discovery channel even. but as RHA said, it depends on the track and how the sample is used...

• 2 weeks later...

Fortunately this doesn't occur much to me, but oh yes, I hate it.

The equal Entheogenic - We Are One and Ott - Smoked Glass And Chome sample is a bliss killer ... though Entheogenic distort it upwards, but I still recognized it and it's just shit. It's one of the reasons why I don't like Glass And Chrome as much as it deserves ... because I already knew the sample.

The best would be when artists make their OWN samples!

Yes, their own.

Recording their voice (or the voice of a friend) and repeating it then through vocoder or something like that.

By doing it like that we wouldn't have many similar samples anymore ... except when you take it out of a film, but then it's intended that people know the sample already.

sorry to disappoint you further but half of shpongle songs are samples, some of which iv heard on discovery channel even.  but as RHA said, it depends on the track and how the sample is used...

274137[/snapback]

Hah, you're way exaggerating. :rolleyes: Half of them? They use some chords in some tracks, that's not half.

But I don't get sample usage really... when I make music it's mine from scratch. I even make speech samples by myself. (considering my voice is weird naturally, it's funny as heck to twist and morph)

Guest .::E.P

I was just listening to the tune samples of the upcoming chill compilation "Quality Relaxation" when suddenly I could recognize the voice sample in the Elysium track "Fairytale". Its the same voice sample as in "Magic Monkey Juice" by Younger Brother. Why Kristian? What's the reason? Is it that there is a lack of variety in sample cds? I certainly feel that it takes away a lot of the magic of the tune, makes it sound like a weird kind of remix, takes away the freshness and originality. Maybe I'm over-reacting here, but this annoyance is building up in me for far too long now. The same tired voice/acoustic samples used again and again by many artists. Sure, some twist them a bit, use some effects on them, cut and paste, but in the of the day you will listen to the tune and the moment you will hear that all-familiar sample it will be a letdown (at least for me).

274037[/snapback]

Sorry to dissapoint you but I havent heard that younger brother track and when i do music i really dont sit around and scan all tracks to see if they have the same sound or sample as me. So live with it, dont buy it or make your own music ;)

I liked the sample so i used it. Most of my samples are usually "homemade" but I am guilty as all other artists when it come to ocassionally using samples that someone else have used. So shoot me.

Hah, you're way exaggerating.  :rolleyes: Half of them? They use some chords in some tracks, that's not half.

But I don't get sample usage really... when I make music it's mine from scratch. I even make speech samples by myself. (considering my voice is weird naturally, it's funny as heck to twist and morph)

279407[/snapback]

come on now. your blessed Simon use tons of premade samples from sample CD's. He's just as "guilty" as anyone else!

come on now. your blessed Simon use tons of premade samples from sample CD's. He's just as "guilty" as anyone else!

279571[/snapback]

True.

I honestly get a bit pissed off when people nag all the time about our music. One thing is to not like a track. Thats perfectly ok with me. I as a musician can not please all people and it's fine with me.

But many times we have to listen to very harsh words about us as persons or our music. If we dare to speak back we are "bad" and arrogant.

We have to be polite and say "yes your so right. I am so sorry that I used that sample and that you did not like it".

It's ok to critisise in a constructive way but to always have to listen to "annoyed" people about our music is getting very annoying to us artists.

All we can say is that we do the music the way we like to and if people dont like it fine. Dont listen to it and certantly dont buy it.. That's all we can say in a as "polite" way as possible.

To nag about why we used a certain sample in our music (or whatever else thing we do"wrong") is not only OLD and BORING. It's also our decision and no one's else.

Last. Do you know how many tracks there are out there? Should I really have to sit and scan each and every one of them just to make sure that I dont disspoint a person because he/she have heard the sample before? I dont think so ;)

I don´t give a flying fuc* if a sampler his already used in 1000 tracks, if the sampler fits well in the track, then it´s ok for me.

I got very dissapointed when I heard a Sesto Sento song sampling a Reason sample, you know, the ones that actually come with the program for you to play around with ¬ ¬

279647[/snapback]

I dont need a "bad" sample to get dissaponted about Sesto Sento.. They suck in general ;) But I respect your taste.. Ain't I nice :P

The only sample I don't mind being repeated would be 'The Sleeper Has Awaken' from Dune used so many times but it describes the essence of trance culture in some ways...;)

Some artists very seldom, if ever, use samples... and they are often the best! Juno Reactor for example.  :)

279704[/snapback]

Ben and co. have never used a sample... caugh caugh... ;)

Weird that he used to have a pile of sample cd's stacked around in the Juno Reactor studio before he could afford to hire african singers and percussionists etc. ;)

Ben and co. have never used a sample... caugh caugh... ;)

Weird that he used to have a pile of sample cd's stacked around in the Juno Reactor studio before he could afford to hire african singers and percussionists etc.  ;)

279710[/snapback]

Where to they have samples?

Oh, and I will never use samples. I make the sounds I need myself, the music is 100% mine and nobody elses.

Where to they have samples?

279717[/snapback]

They used many different samples in older releases. But not so obvious ones though. But nevertheless they indeed used samples too. I haven't heard his new stuff so I cant say about that.

I dont need a "bad" sample to get dissaponted about Sesto Sento..  They suck in general ;)  But I respect your taste.. Ain't I nice  :P

279702[/snapback]

One hour earlier you wrote:

It's ok to critisise in a constructive way but to always have to listen to "annoyed" people about our music is getting very annoying to us artists.

"Suck in general" doesn't strike me as very constructive critisism...

One hour earlier you wrote:

"Suck in general" doesn't strike me as very constructive critisism...

279728[/snapback]

Could it be i was stating an example to show my point? It did caught your attention didn't it ? I am not so naive to think that it would go without a reaction from people like you ;)

Could it be i was stating an example to show my point? It did caught your attention didn't it ?  I am not so naive to think that it would go without a reaction from people like you ;)

279733[/snapback]

Yeah, right.

Could it be i was stating an example to show my point? It did caught your attention didn't it ?  I am not so naive to think that it would go without a reaction from people like you ;)

279733[/snapback]

Here's what you wrote in the stop the flood thread yesterday:

Then look for something with more quality. Your rooster is of such a low standard that a 8 year old would do better music.

You complain about people bashig artists but you're doing the same thing yourself.

Get off your high horse or live as you preach.